New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know what I was thinking... Well glad to say I survived and will sleep good tonight. Truly impressive how much my son has improved on the ice. He can literally skate circles around me now, lol...

Anyway, had a good time and I think my boy appreciated spending some time with dad on the ice. Things we do for our kids, ha, ha.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
Nice. I only took my 3 year old skating once last year (when he was 2). I can't wait for this winter when he's a bit older. He got a pair of hand-me-down skates a month ago. He loves playing hockey in the driveway.

How old was your son when you got him playing organized hockey?

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
Skating is a talent. Hockey is an artform. I tried skating backwards and damn near killed myself.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nice. I only took my 3 year old skating once last year (when he was 2). I can't wait for this winter when he's a bit older. He got a pair of hand-me-down skates a month ago. He loves playing hockey in the driveway.

How old was your son when you got him playing organized hockey?
Awesome! I think he was six when he started with a "learn to play" clinic. He did the Mites and spring season with Squirts. I think he will still be in Squirts this fall. The season's are pretty long so he's gotten alot of ice time over past two years. My wife received a very nice note from his coach tonight. He's making a lot of progress and everybody keeps telling us he has a lot of potential even though all that really matters to us is that he's having a good time and getting some exercise, lol. Tonight was my first time on ice with a hockey stick, helmet and gloves. I had no business there but everybody was nice, including my son, ha, ha... Somehow made it through without falling on my butt. It's really a great sport for the kids. Big commitment from the parents, but, hey, that's what we do, right? Good luck.

·
5,143 Posts
Nice cgrutt. I can't wait to skate with my son. I only goofed around on the pond when I was a kid, but did start to play in an adult "newbie" class a couple years back. I had to stop because of work, but it was a lot of fun. Whenever we go to open skate, the little 6 and 7 year old kids still skate circles around me though. They have no fear!

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd love to get my daughter into hockey, but it's so damn expensive.
There are a few girls in my son's program. They're just as good as the boys at this age. I'm not positive but think they have to stop when they get older and the kids start to get stronger and play more aggressively. The equipment is expensive and it only lasts about a year and then they outgrow it. I've heard it gets really expensive after they start traveling (hotels, etc.). It's a great sport though. I'd encourage her to do it if she's interested and you can swing it.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
Expensive but worth it if you can swing it, lots of talented girls are playing these days.

·
Registered
588 Posts
As that old NHL commercial used to say "It's the coolest game on earth!" I have two boys that played from Mites to High school. The older one started playing on a club team in College, then both played on a men's league with me for a while. Now there both into competing in Crossfit. The older one is opening a Crossfit gym in Glenmount NY it should be open officially by the end of next week.

·
5,143 Posts
Look at used equipment. I picked up some decent stuff that was very lightly used. Or, look at renting. I believe some of the shops around here will rent equipment by the season.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Get on hockeymonkey.com's mailing list and be ready to jump on the flash sales that they throw out there. I think I paid about $130 the last time for my son's pads (elbow, chest, pants and shins) and it was decent Easton equipment. I've seen better deals for lower end stuff but hard to beat even if used. You can spend a ton on skates and helmet though. I always buy the best helmet I can get no matter what the sport. Money well spent for peace of mind IMO.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I work on private estate in Westchester with a true Madison Square Garden Hockey Rink. Professional Hockey trainers ,train his young boys. When you have quality training it really makes a difference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts