New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Picked up a gun today that I've been trying to get my hands on one of for almost 2 years now. The CZ SP-01. It's not that it's an incredibly rare gun, but none of the stores anywhere near me ever carried the CZ brand in stock. When I looked into ordering one, the price was just never right. On the very rare occasions I found one in a store it was always a 'tactical' decocker model, which I'm not a fan of, or the wrong caliber.. or something.. always something.

The other day though, at Gander Mtn. if you can believe that, they actually had a brand spankin' new one, manual safety, and with Trijicon night sights.. with a 10% off sticker which priced it BELOW getting a standard non night sighted model even from the cheapest online source !

Picked it up today, after taxes and out the door, for just a few bucks over 6 bills. Mind you I really can't afford it, and it means I'll be selling off something else.. but it's pretty satisfying to find one you've been looking for so long for at the right price. I simply couldn't pass it up.

Here she is. :)

My plan was always to take one and convert it to the SAO flat trigger, and that's what I still intend to do.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
I'm a bit of a 1911 guy myself. Well.. I carry one anyway. One reason for the CZ was that it can be 'cocked and locked' with the manual safety like the 1911 I'm more accustomed to. I've also owned a CZ clone for awhile now, in the .40 IMI (magnum research branded) Baby Eagle. The SP-01 is kind of an oddball gun for me actually, even just that I wanted one in 9mm. I'm more of a .45 kind of guy, and never was particularly interested in 9mm in general. Made up my mind a long time ago when I was doing more shooting though that the SP-01 in 9mm converted to SAO was going to be my 'target' gun. A lot of time passed and my plan got put by the wayside in favor of other things, lack of funds, not finding one, etc. Things have a way of coming full circle though. Even though I'm not doing a lot of target shooting these days, I finally found my target gun :p

I have a much prettier picture of my old hard chromed baby eagle CZ clone though. Took this picture back in January 2008 according to my photobucket :)

· Registered
1,672 Posts
Be careful when taking out the safety, make sure the detent ball and the spring don't fly out.
Get angus SA trigger its adjustable for pre and overtravel. Trigger pin is flared so used a smaller size punch to get it moving and not damage the holes.
Remove the FPB too, it shortens the reset.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Good to know Petrov, thanks. I'm told there are instructions over on the CZ forum, but I've been doing all my own trigger work for long enough now to know that every little tip helps. I've never worked on a CZ, but I'm comfortable enough in general with gun work to plan on doing it myself. Getting the work done from Angus is pretty pricey it seems anyway. I understand there's delicate fitting to do, but the parts alone are about $100 and he's asking $140 + shipping on top of that for installation of the SA trigger and comp. hammer. Ouch :p

· Registered
649 Posts
Nice purchase !!

IMHO, CZ's are one of the best looking guns. SP-01 is THE most tacticool of them all. (and not in a bad way. It's just VERY VERY COOL lookin')

They feel damn nice in your hands too. I ended up getting HK USPc 9mm for my first gun, but one of the other guns I was REALLY lusting after was CZ p-01.

DId you manage to find any pre-ban mags for these yet ?

k

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
DId you manage to find any pre-ban mags for these yet ?
I have actually. Friend on another forum will most likely supply me with a few. The only disappointing issue with that.. only 15 round pre-ban cz-75 mags exist , while the SP-01 standard mag cap is 18+1. No pre-bans at that capacity though. Oh well.. maybe one day in a free state.

In any case though, the bulky grip size which allows for 18 rounds standard suits my large hands well. Gun feels great, and seems to point well for me. We'll see how it feels overall when get it converted, I think the gun and I will get along nicely though.

· Registered
1,672 Posts
You can get a mag extension and you can modify the follower to fit one more in there.

· Registered
4,105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Put the first 140 rounds through it at Masterclass in Monroe today. The gun is very accurate, but I was little off. I haven't actually fired a gun in about a year, for various reasons I'm not going to go into , so I was a bit rusty. ( Still got compliments at the range though .. hehe ) The accuracy of the gun itself definitely helped with that. If I do my job.. yeah this gun will certainly do.

Here's one of my targets. 20 rounds ( both mags ), 10 rounds at 15 yards and 10 rounds at 20 yards, regular standing two handed stance , approx. 1 shot per 2-3 seconds ( shot recovery was excellent with this gun due to the heavy forward inclined weight), on one hour of sleep and long drive..heh
I'm not sure if this was the best target, but it wasn't the worst either. It pretty much shows how the day went and the gun performed for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.