New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking that when the SHTF Tobacco is going to be as good as gold.Probably could trade for anything you want/need if you had enough!The thing is they probably would dry out in less than a year,anyone have a way to store it for longer?Did a quick search and it says it will go dry even if the bag is sealed.I was thinking about getting a case or 2 of the bag/loose tobacco,just not sure if its worth stock-piling if it will go bad fast.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
I think you would have to do something not tried before. I would research nitrogen ( I believe thats what chip bags are filled with) and humidity and tempurature. I know cigars need to be kept around 65 to 73% relative humidity and anything over 73 - 75 degrees can be asking for trouble for tobacco beatles but I am not sure that would be as much of an issue as cigars.

Now alcohol would probably be a better choice. Alcohol withdrawal can actually kill you plus it has many uses and go really go bad.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well alcohol would already be on my list,just dont want to stock up on that yet.Might be all consumed before anything really happened LOL!Must be Dooms-day/Mian calendar/Apocalypse week-end on the TV,always sends subliminal messages...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
I stock up on Non-tobacco products that are full of nicotine...IE: patches and the like...When I was in the desert, I asked friends to send me US smokes and a few got smart and sent Nicoderme patches. Light, weatherproof (sand water and the like), compact and a day's worth of nicotine. Nicotine withdrawal sucks so I get it in any form I can. Now I keep some in my travel hygiene bag, my Get Home Bag in my car, My Bug Out Bag, I take them camping ect...I wont smoke tobacco I didnt grow when SHTF. Individual servings of one day nicotine supplements are good to go though.

But usmcveteran is right...stock up on those little airline bottles of alcohol for trading gold for those reasons he listed.

DONT trade ammo! Why would you hand out hand grenades to potential lunatics? Even people you trust with your life can get the crazy bug during crazy times!

·
6,795 Posts
As far as nicotine products I still have some gum. If you call the NYS quit smoking hotline they will send you free gum or patches. I am not advocating abusing the system but if you want to quit it is a good source and depending on how you answer the questions they will give you more then you need to quit.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
usmc:
just to be clear, I have been smoke free for 2 years since I moved back to NY from NC and my wallet couldnt support my addiction. I still indulge in dip once in a while. My main source of nicotine now is Vaping. Love it!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
cigarette tobacco is heavily processed and full of added chemicals, will probably last a long time in a cigar humidor. Cigars are virtually unproxessed and will last forever if stored right, may loose strength ad flavor after 10-15 years but still smokable. The phenomenal 98's vintage Cuban cigar crop that was sooo highly sought after has lost its zing about 5 years ago, but still very good. About 4 years ago I had a 1988 Partagas Lonsdale, smoked well, not troubles but most of the flavor was gone, and these cigars when proper are flavor bombs, sadly, they were disontinued a few years ago.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Food saver and freeze the loose tobacco? Most of the air is drawn out and the freezing will slow down the process of aging. My Uncle used to freeze his extra cartons until he needed them.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Just order some seeds online of various strains, and learn how to collect new seeds, bam, tobacco farmer.
we did this this year - my wife is a smoker and I decided to play it safe! Theres a few places to order the " blend" seeds that make a good cig - and tobacco has a lot of other uses also - I am still setting up a drying/curing area - and plan on storing in vacu-seal bags and air tight buckets - when it comes right down to it and someone hasn't had a smoke in a week they won't give a crap if its a little dried out or "stale"

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
I know tobacco (at least chewing tobacco like Copenhagen or grizzly) lasts longer if you put it in the freezer.. how much longer i couldn't tell you

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
Hmmmm......Well since you guys have all of the little details figured out for a SHTF situation.......I am going with the HHFB (hit her from behind) prep......So I am going to stock up on condoms......Now THERE is trading commodity for you......LMAO !!

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
we did this this year - my wife is a smoker and I decided to play it safe! Theres a few places to order the " blend" seeds that make a good cig - and tobacco has a lot of other uses also - I am still setting up a drying/curing area - and plan on storing in vacu-seal bags and air tight buckets - when it comes right down to it and someone hasn't had a smoke in a week they won't give a crap if its a little dried out or "stale"
Theres alot of stuff you need to do to make homegrown tabacco ready to smoke. It's not as easy as just grow it and smoke it. It also has to be cured..google tabacco and you'll find out what you need to do.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Want to be King of the new world you should probably start stock piling Bath-Salt!Your minions might actually kill/eat you sooner than later though but you only live once why not go out on top LOL.Its going to be one crazy ride if something actually does happen that's for sure!December is coming fast load up with all precautions you can,why take a chance IMO...I will definitely have a stock of tobacco now that I know the nicotine will not deteriorate,im sure/positive taste wont matter when there all gone!Thanks for all the in-sight,and when you need/want a cig Raven you know how to get a hold of me.....

Theres alot of stuff you need to do to make homegrown tabacco ready to smoke. It's not as easy as just grow it and smoke it. It also has to be cured..google tabacco and you'll find out what you need to do. ]
Growing it also means you will be stationary protecting it.Good for the long haul (after the masses die) maybe but short term "importance" is going to be product in hand.

·
Registered
687 Posts
The one thing that is realllllly bad for it is too much moisture. It is one of the fastest molding substances. Hospititals are very strict about smoking in new construction areas due to posibilities of small amounts being sealed into areas.

·
Registered
687 Posts
You guys might also want to check out using dry ice (C02) for long term storage of dried goods.

·
6,795 Posts
Here is an idea too. Get some solar panels and rechargeable batteries of various types. That way you could trade those batteries to people who need them and you can always recharge them later for the people for more in trade.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
Here is an idea too. Get some solar panels and rechargeable batteries of various types. That way you could trade those batteries to people who need them and you can always recharge them later for the people for more in trade.
I like that one..and you can still be mobile too..

1 - 20 of 25 Posts