New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
This is not good news for future permit holders in Tioga if I'm thinking correctly. They issue unrestricted in that county, right? If so I hate to see the new judge they replace him with. Also, WTF is wrong with people tinkering with a loaded gun? How hard is it to remove the cartridges?

James

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
I can see how ethics can come into question about issueing your own permit but I dont see a law saying he cant. Also how was he supposed to get one issued to himself if he is the sole issueing officer for his county?

The judge was stupid and careless though for this to happen. I wonder if he will lose his permit and not be able to get one for a while or ever again.

· Registered
258 Posts
I'm just picturing that 70 year old man hands trembling as he attempts to tinker with his revolver with an eyeglass screwdriver and the hammer cocked and BOOM..... Papers fly everywhere from the bookshelf he just shot and in walks the court clerk horrified. He looks up as if he can't imagine how this could have possibly happened. Although I do know a few over 70's who could shoot my pants off without grazing me.

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That happened in 2010
I was curious as to when the incident occurred, the original article didn't say (it has been updated with many more details now).

Of particular interest:
The commission notes that Sgueglia wasn't ticketed or summoned for violating a local ordinance regulating discharge of firearms. Authorities also didn't take actions to revoke or amend his pistol permit as a result of the 2010 incident.
Something tells me things would be different if it were you or I instead of him...

· Registered
1,071 Posts
NYS Judge Censured for discharging his gun in his chambers

Thought you Oswego/Tioga guys might find this interesting... I wonder if it took him a minimum 6 months to approve his own permit;)

Upstate Judge Is Censured for Accidentally Firing Gun in Chambers

On Monday, the State Commission on Judicial Conduct censured Judge Sgueglia for the mishap - and for having approved his own gun permit in 2005, an action the commission administrator, Robert H. Tembeckjian, called "an obvious conflict."

· Registered
1,559 Posts
where is the outrage on this thread LOL people hating the NYPD officers and this guy who has a direct say in peoples pistol permits shoots himself LOLOLOLOLOL

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I thought there was another thread on this.

· Registered
4,955 Posts
The Tioga Co. judge incident was mentioned in a thread that I recently posted about a ND from a shotgun inside an apartment complex.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/fi...ga-ny-n-d-shotgun-apt-complex-close-call.html

This brings up a question that I am interested in reading all the differing opinions out there. What are your views on Negligent Discharge in general? Should ND's be treated criminally (let's assume no collateral or serious property damage) with consequences on the first offense - permit yanked, etc.? Or should the approach be "live and learn, don't let it happen again", sh*t happens? Again, I'm not talking about ND's where people are injured/killed, or serious property damage occurs, that falls outside the gray area IMHO. Let's be honest...a ND in the privacy of one's own home or at a range with no consequences may even go completely unnoticed (only the guy who touched off the round negligently knows about it)...

· Registered
8,557 Posts
The Tioga Co. judge incident was mentioned in a thread that I recently posted about a ND from a shotgun inside an apartment complex.

http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/fi...ga-ny-n-d-shotgun-apt-complex-close-call.html

This brings up a question that I am interested in reading all the differing opinions out there. What are your views on Negligent Discharge in general? Should ND's be treated criminally (let's assume no collateral or serious property damage) with consequences on the first offense - permit yanked, etc.? Or should the approach be "live and learn, don't let it happen again", sh*t happens? Again, I'm not talking about ND's where people are injured/killed, or serious property damage occurs, that falls outside the gray area IMHO. Let's be honest...a ND in the privacy of one's own home or at a range with no consequences may even go completely unnoticed (only the guy who touched off the round negligently knows about it)...
If it is done and the cops find out about it mostlikely you will be charged with "discharging a firearm inside whatever limits" or "500 feet of whatever". If you do it in your own house and people don't know where the shot (supposing they heard it) came from and the bullet never left your property, the only damage is repairable, and other than your pride being hurt no injuries, my feeling are "no blood, no foul."

If you injure yourself and go to the hospital chances are there will be a call to your local PD and there will be some questions. You don't have to answer any questions and who knows how far down the rabbit hole the PD and the DA are willing to go to figure out how you got hurt. You may get lucky you may not. Again if you only take yourself out, I figure leave it be.

· Registered
2,871 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I think a 1-year downgrade of the person's permit - from carry to premises - is reasonable for the first offense. Mistakes happen.

Regardless, I think the authorities should play by the same rules you and I are forced to play by. This judge wasn't charged with anything, didn't lose his permit for even one day, etc. That would not happen had it been you or I.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
Edit: Reply to ChrisWNY

I understand accidents happen. Just ask my wife. She sowed on a guys toe yesterday after he was cutting the lawn barefoot. So should we license people to cut their lawn? Make stricter laws to make it harder to get a lawn mower and have laws that force people to wear appropriate footwear? I know this is a poor parallel, but the ridiculousness of people's idiocy is astronomical! And the laws we allow to be created to 'protect us' comes in a close second.

That being said, NG's were NO JOKE when I was in the Corps. You really have no excuse. That's why we call them 'Negligent' not 'Accidental'. You are responsible for every bullet that leaves the barrel. I would expect to have silver bracelets bestowed upon me if I did something so dumb as to cook off a round and hurt someone or damage someone's property. If, however, I put a hole through my TV, well, then, I ought to suffer the consequences of having to replace said TV; NOT go to jail or lose my right to own firearms.

It's really pretty circumstantial based. We could play the 'what if' game all day, but I think it comes down to situational case by case.

· Registered
8,557 Posts
I think a 1-year downgrade of the person's permit - from carry to premises - is reasonable for the first offense. Mistakes happen.
If you ran your car into a park bench are you supposed to be restricted to taking the bus to work for a year?

If you ND in public (IE a shopping area) you will be charged with something and most likely lose your permit ( I like your leaniency but this is NY). I am not saying it is right but we live in the great peoples republic of NY and you know how that goes.

If you ran your car into the back of your garage are you willing to be restircted to taking the bus to work for a year?

If you ND at home, and nobody knows nobody will care.

· Registered
2,127 Posts
Regardless, I think the authorities should play by the same rules you and I are forced to play by. This judge wasn't charged with anything, didn't lose his permit for even one day, etc. That would not happen had it been you or I.
Well said. We also wouldnt have had the privilege of approving and signing our own permit to begin with. Probably with little to no wait time.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.