New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering if anyone has installed a timney trigger on an 870 and noticed any difference? I have an 870 slug gun that shoots very good with lightfield slugs at 100 yds but I think with a better trigger I can get some improvement. It's not big $ but I like to do some research before I act. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
The question is whether the improvement is worth the money. Slinging slugs at 100yds means you're hunting deer, or something of similar size. If you're consistently putting them inside a paper plate, you're good to go. What would improving the accuracy beyond that cost versus the gain?

·
Registered
437 Posts
I think the best answer is maybe. What is the issue you are trying to correct?

Slug guns by virtue are not accurate weapons, and are not intended to be. Granted there have been some improvements that have helped some.

I would think that if you wanted better groupings at 100+ yards then a fixed barrel would be the way to go. Something along the lines of Ithaca DeerSlayer III, they had a Turkey Special with a fixed barrel several years ago (Kings Ferry) or the few bolt actions available.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Before spending the money on the Timney trigger fix I would suggest trying a competition sear spring first. It will give you a 3lb trigger pull instead of 4-5lb factory trigger. It might not be as crisp as the Timney but for $8.00 I would give it a try. SEAR SPRING, LIGHT PULL | Brownells

I posted the Brownells link so you could get the part#. I would look around for another source since Brownells will rape you on shipping if you are only buying the spring.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The gun groups fine at 100yds and I would leave it as it is but I know I am not getting a good trigger squeeze (its a slug gun and I wasn't expecting a great trigger). I just think I can improve my groups. Maybe as suggested I will just try replacing the sear spring. see if that improves things.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Not looking to exceed 100yds although I could pprobably tinker with 125. I simply want to improve group size

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
I think you are chasing a ghost.For starters slugs are not the most consistent made bullet out there .Take a couple boxes of any slug and stand them side by side and look at the bullet depths in the cases.You can visually see a difference alot of the time.Lightfields are lead bullets so you are not getting a good slippery surface flying through the air to begin with.Lead in the rifling is gonna effect every round differently.I just dont think any trigger is going to get you any closer than you are.Ya you may get a tighter group now and then but nothing consistent .Looking into a better rifled barrel will gain you more than a trigger IMO.As said above,if you can hit a pie plate at 100 yrds thats about as good as you can expect from a pump action anything.My H&R Ultra Slug has hit medium sized gator aid bottles at 100 yrds many times.Will it do it every time,no,but it will hit more times than not.Im sure a trigger job would not help it hit more.JMO.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts