New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the turkey season upon us, please take this reminder seriously.

Check for ticks. Be vigilant - they are very active in the spring season and turkey hunting puts you right there in their territory. Really, there is not much other hunting that puts you as directly in contact with ticks than the usual turkey hunting setup.

Don't put your family at risk - manage your clothes too. Try to take your outer layers off before you get in your truck/car and when you get home put them in the dryer on high heat for a cycle. That is one of the only ways to kill them little bastards.

All the bug spray in the world may not be enough, so do your due diligence to keep yourself and your family safe from the diseases these things carry. Lyme disease is only one, but it is a real whammy, and they are finding that the ticks carry more disease than just Lyme.

If you see that bullseye rash go get some antibiotics. They are pricey, heavy duty, and make you feel like crap for 20 days, but I bet it is better than living with Lyme disease.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
TICKS - bloodsucking bastards!!!
Liberal democrats tick me off too, though this was a thread about them.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
Do not under estimate the damage a tiny bug bite can do to you - a tick bite with or without the rash can literally kill you. Get them off you ASAP and if you develop any new aches and pains get treated for Lyme immediately. I had a bite above the hair line so no rash could show.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Out shed hunting the other day had a couple on me walking up my jeans, i'm always aware of them. from hunting season to shed season. cant believe they lived thru that cold we had. National Grid guys told me the frost line was 6ft deep in the ground when i asked them

·
Registered
99 Posts
Just found out my four-legged buddy has lyme disease in him from a tick. Must have happened when we moved into our new house in Little Falls. The deer are always in my backyard. I sprayed this spring, but it was either not enough or too late. The vet told me that it probably won't amount to anything for the dog, but we're trying antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
The tick has to stay on you for more than 24 hours to transmit Lyme. Check yourself all over after being outdoors. You have plenty of time That's the most practical way to prevent Lyme.

·
Registered
850 Posts
My wife found one on our 6 year old last Thursday on his head. The tick had some size to it so he was on for a little while. Our dog got Lyme disease last year so my wife was pretty upset. My son is too young for the prevention med so they told us to call them asap if he developes any rashes or runs a fever.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
My son and I spent a week in the Algonquin national park during blackfly season. We split a clove of raw garlic every day. Not a single skeeter,blackfly, tick or spider bite. This might not be a good idea during hunting season. Of coarse the bears probably thought we were pre-seasoned.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
The tick has to stay on you for more than 24 hours to transmit Lyme. Check yourself all over after being outdoors. You have plenty of time That's the most practical way to prevent Lyme.
The longer they are on the more likely they are to transmit Lyme, but they also carry anaplasmosis, babiosis, and virus that can be transmitted. Do not think that you are somehow safe if you think you have removed the parasite at the 23rd hour.....

·
Registered
2,778 Posts
It's no joke. One of my kids had a HUGE tick on her head for several days last year. By the time we saw it the thing was engorged and massive. We kept an eye out for lyme afterward, but it's often very tricky to diagnose. Did bring it to a lab but all they did was confirm it was a deer tick. Apparently they don't test to see if it was actually carrying lyme. The single biggest thing to do is remove ticks before they stay on you; if you do it soon you're almost guaranteed to be fine.

Years back I found a couple in my nethers ,but it was shortly after they were on and it was in a state with a very low incidence of lyme-carrying ticks.

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I had hopes that the ticks would be better this year because of the extreme, and LONG cold that we had this winter. Damn.

·
Registered
805 Posts
Use Permethrin liberally all over your clothes, and get their bug lotion as well for your exposed skin. Permethrin KILLS ticks that come into contact with properly treated fabrics, like your clothes, tent fabric, and Sleeping Bags. It's not cheap stuff, but one application will usually last a full week. Use that and carry a Aluminum Tick Remover Key on your Keychain to remove any buggers that manage to get latched on!

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
It's not officially spring, imo, until I pull one of those little blood sucking leeches off of me. From what I understand Lyme (which is no joke) is the least of your concerns with those little buggers. Lately I've been bathing in off deep woods which does help repel them. Yet to try Permethrin but have heard good things about them.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
I had to have Urgent Care pull one out of the side of my neck last year. They're not too tough to get out with a small pair of tweezers, but I couldn't do it properly while craning my head to the right, looking in the mirror, and using my left hand to try and get him. The worst part is that I felt it the night before and couldn't see it. It just felt like a skin tag. The thing was well engorged the next morning when I got out of the shower and saw it in the mirror.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
The last three years have been the worst for ticls around here. Our cows and goats have had quite a few. I try to get them off but its tough to pick at a bulls belly. The livestock dont seem to mind.
Last year our cat had a hugely engorged tick I picked off her. A week later she was at the vet with a still undiagnosed illness. She was on fluids and antibiotics for a few days. She almost died, she could barely move and could not eat or drink anything for a week, I fed her with a syringe. The vet said it was not tick paralysis but something hes seen a couple times in the last few years. He sent our cats blood to a lab but they could not identify it either.

·
Registered
139 Posts
A few comments: Use permethrin on your clothing including your socks. Use DEET on your exposed skin (don't forget ears and back of neck. Wear a permithirn treated hat. If you find a tick, have it removed ASAP (do not bother with that old 'hold a match to it's rear end' it may be a stupid insect but it is not dumb enough to back into a flame.)

If you find one attached to your skin, go to an urgent care or your doc right away and get an Rx for a single dose of 200 mg of Doxycycline. It covers most of the bacterial bugs that ticks carry.

This applies to hunters, golfer, hikers, etc.

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Pulled 2 dog ticks off the puppy yesterday, don't forget to check your pets often

·
Registered
383 Posts
I've been in the woods for the last 5 days and had a tick crawling on me 3 times. I check while in the woods, before i get to my car, and at home. It really helps to change clothes before the ride home too. Heck, I even got a speck of poison ivy already, spring is here!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts