New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Went here today to try out my new SIG... heard mention of some shooting lanes set up by the locals and couldn't find them - so set out to find a quiet spot with a berm. Found one... I guess I wasn't supposed to drive in (gate was open - sign didn't say no entry). But some old guy on a quad who's there for some dog trials this weekend gave me the business. Seemed more concerned about me driving in there than the gun in my hand. But whatever...

However, if I'm to use this area for some target shooting, I want to be within rules/regs. I know unless it's otherwise posted that shooting is prohibited, the rules/regs seem to allow target shooting - so long as you don't leave a mess and don't act like Rambo, not shooting certain objects, etc... etc... it should be alright.

Does anyone know where these shooting lanes are set up. I'd rather go somewhere that's established and known to the locals and the DEC folks. The DEC has a map here and if someone could point out where they're located that would be appreciated.

Three Rivers Wildlife Management Area Map - NYS Dept. of Environmental Conservation

Never been there before... nice place. Noticed a few cars in the parking areas with the solitary male sitting there waiting (I really wish those people would to back to their closet), and someone was walking their dog and OC'ing as I was leaving.

Thanks.

·
Registered
710 Posts
There isnt anything setup. I've talked to the DEC officer in charge of this area and he stated "target shooting is allowed. Clean up your mess, shoot safe, make sure nobody is down range (shoot into a berm of some sort), do not shoot the trees, and do not shoot where it's posted 'no shooting.'" There is a main entrance off of sixty road that you can enter at. Drive down the road and pick a spot to shoot. It's legal as long as youre safe.

That main entrance has a bolder or big dirt hill blocking the road at the end. About 100' before this blockade, there is a turn around on the right. I used to setup targets here to shoot. I also used to setup targets in the field on the left hand side across the road from the large body of water people fish at. I used to park on the side of the road, put targets up, and shoot...no problems.

If you need further clarification, call the DEC officer in charge of the 3 rivers area.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - and that's pretty much what I did yesterday until the self-appointed citizen volunteer ranger tried to give me the business.

Thanks for clearing things up.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
OK - and that's pretty much what I did yesterday until the self-appointed citizen volunteer ranger tried to give me the business.

Thanks for clearing things up.
Sounds to me like a busybody with a God complex. I would have told the loser to shove off.

I shot out there once and it was awesome. A few of us locals should plan a day to head out there and throw some lead downrange. Locals are probably less likely to harass if we travel in packs.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Take 690 to 48 and turn off onto Kellogg Rd. Take Kellogg to the corner of Sixty Rd. There will be a parking area at that corner on the southwest side. Park there and walk into the southwest woods a couple hundred yards following the path and you'll find the local's shooting lanes. The firing lane runs south towards the swamp.

ETA: Bring your own targets and target stand.

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
Just don't approach any of the cars sitting back there. The guys in those cars like to go for walks in the woods with the men that approach them and it isn't for bird watching. Enjoy your walks.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Hahahah.

I might take a trip over there this weekend, see what the sit is since I can't seem to find any decent clubs within reasonable driving distance from where I live...

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just don't approach any of the cars sitting back there. The guys in those cars like to go for walks in the woods with the men that approach them and it isn't for bird watching. Enjoy your walks.
Ah yes, nothing like walking through a park with your kids only to come across a couple of **** blowing each other.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
It happens... I've been to many parks in my life, and the site of a solitary guy sitting in his car waiting for someone to come along is a fairly common one. I have no problems with gays as people - but what they do behind closed doors is their business - and needs to stay behind closed doors.

I mean they can't take out an ad on Craigslist in the hookup section and come up with $50 for a motel? Instead they gotta do stuff in public?

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Take 690 to 48 and turn off onto Kellogg Rd. Take Kellogg to the corner of Sixty Rd. There will be a parking area at that corner on the southwest side. Park there and walk into the southwest woods a couple hundred yards following the path and you'll find the local's shooting lanes. The firing lane runs south towards the swamp.

ETA: Bring your own targets and target stand.
Tried finding the place you spoke of. I found the parking area, but the trail you mentioned splits at one point, with one part going forward and one branching to the right. My BIL and I didn't feel like hiking all around to find it, so we went to the right, walked in quite a ways and just did some shooting in the woods. Should we have kept going straight instead of turning right?

·
Registered
710 Posts
Tried finding the place you spoke of. I found the parking area, but the trail you mentioned splits at one point, with one part going forward and one branching to the right. My BIL and I didn't feel like hiking all around to find it, so we went to the right, walked in quite a ways and just did some shooting in the woods. Should we have kept going straight instead of turning right?
It's nice to see that you're unbanned!

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Guess I'll hike around this weekend, see if I can't spot it.

·
Registered
242 Posts
There use to be a spot years ago off potter road until people sent rounds over golfers heads on the green. Just be aware the area is heavily used by "nature lovers" in the off season. The kind that dont know any better and will walk over the berm to see what you are doing. For the $35 a year I think a range is well worth it but thats just me.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts