New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I could only find a threaded 20 inch barrel for a build I am working on. To keep it NY legal I would need to get a device to go over the threads that is permanent. So my questions are these:

1. Would this device be legal under the NY law? PWS FSC556? PWS FSC556 - HKPARTS.NET They do have a letter from the ATF that says that it isn't a flash suppressor. Anyone have any experience with this particular brand? Reviews?

2. Only getting it pinned and welded constitutes permanent attachment correct? What about if I used a soldering iron etc.?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Should have been more specific this is a 2012 compliant build.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Should have been more specific this is a 2012 compliant build.
What's that mean? This is 2013 haha.

The rifle needs to be registered if you put that PWS on it. Pinned and welded is fine.

The only way to be legal... in the year 2013 is to register it before next year. If not it's illegal.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As in the rifle is from before the Jan 15th ban so I am not trying to build a featureless weapon... Just wanted to clarify that. So under the "old" rules having this pinned and welded would be fine with "registration" of course.

just trying to brainstorm here between going this route and just crowning it.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
pinned is just fine, no reason to weld it.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
As in the rifle is from before the Jan 15th ban so I am not trying to build a featureless weapon... Just wanted to clarify that. So under the "old" rules having this pinned and welded would be fine with "registration" of course.

just trying to brainstorm here between going this route and just crowning it.
Why bother with either pinning or welding? If you possessed the rifle before 1/15/13 and you register it next year, you can have any number of features, one of them or all of them. I know opinions vary on this, but that is the way I read PL265. All pre-bans are pre-ban now - no more feature counting - just a list of completely banned features.

If you have no banned features, you have a safe rifle. If you have any number of banned features, you need to have possessed the rifle before 1/15/13 and need to register to be exempt in PL265.

I am getting my barrel threaded once all this craziness dies down a bit. I never did like the look of the crowned barrel.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Do you have any legal information supporting that or is it just your theory? I would prefer to not get arrested for a felony...

·
Registered
983 Posts
Read it yourself or pay a lawyer to read it for you. Opinions on internet forums are usually worth what you pay for them.

Edit:

Oh and my opinion is that I agree. I think if you register it you're good for any and all features. That is ONLY MY INTERPRETATION.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have read it multiple times myself and have seen no basis for the theory that you described? Can you quote a section or paragraph?

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
I have read it multiple times myself and have seen no basis for the theory that you described? Can you quote a section or paragraph?
No one knows for sure at this point. It's been discussed and debated and beaten like a dead horse since the laws went into effect.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
He's I know that but I was curious as to what part of the legislation gave people that idea?

·
Registered
4,994 Posts
IMHO, anyone who believes that they can have unlimited features, once they register their AW, has overdosed on wishful thinking or has been inhaling too much Hoppes.

Do you really think this administration is going to allow you to make your rifle even more Evil"?

·
Registered
983 Posts
Do you really think this administration is going to allow you to make your rifle even more Evil"?
I don't think they intended to. But they didn't mean to leave their own gestapo without loopholes either and they pulled that off.

Edit:
Oh...and I love the smell of hoppe's. Maybe that's the problem. Although I've been using Ed's Red lately. That smells good too.

And full disclosure, while I do think that the new law allows full features with registration, I'm not planning on testing the theory myself. I'll store out of state or go featureless before I register.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
IMHO, anyone who believes that they can have unlimited features, once they register their AW, has overdosed on wishful thinking or has been inhaling too much Hoppes.

I don't think they intended to. But they didn't mean to leave their own gestapo without loopholes either and they pulled that off.
Well once you register your rifle you have a legal AW, an AW is only defined as having one feature besides a detacable mag, there is nothing in the law that prevents you from adding more features once it is registered. Of course we all know the end results of registration: your name and address get printed in the paper and a map get posted on line so you can be targeted by theives and the NY Gestapo.

·
Registered
2,650 Posts

Well, yes. It has to do with the fact that they added evil features. Before 1/15 we had pre-bans with no feature limit, and post-ban with a one feature limit.

So now that the AW definition includes things like muzzle brakes, where does that leave somebody who has a semi rifle with a pistol grip and muzzle brake today? It was compliant before 1/15, but it is not now.

Here is the exemption from 265.20 (3):

POSSESSION OF A WEAPON AS DEFINED IN PARAGRAPH (E) OR (F) OF SUBDIVISION TWENTY-TWO OF SECTION 265.00 OF THIS ARTICLE WHICH IS REGISTERED PURSUANT TO PARAGRAPH (A) OF SUBDIVISION SIXTEEN-A OF SECTION 400.00 OF THIS CHAPTER

If it has any of the features listed in the AW definition, it must be registered.

Here is 400.00 16A:

AN OWNER OF A WEAPON DEFINED IN PARAGRAPH (E) OR (F) OF SUBDIVISION TWENTY-TWO OF SECTION 265.00 OF THIS CHAPTER, POSSESSED BEFORE THE DATE OF THE EFFECTIVE DATE OF THE CHAPTER OF THE LAWS OF TWO THOUSAND THIRTEEN WHICH ADDED THIS PARAGRAPH, MUST MAKE AN APPLICATION TO REGISTER SUCH WEAPON

Any weapon that meets the AW definition and was possessed before 1/15 must be registered, but is then exempt. It says merely "possessed before the date ...". Nothing about the original configuration, manufacture date, number of features, etc.

Let me ask this - what charge exactly would you be charged with if you had a registered AW that was modified after 1/15? Were in the law does it say you can not modify a pre-1/15 AW with additional features. I am not certain that it does not say that, but I can not seem to find it.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Let me ask you this, why would you want to register a rifle the law makers label an assault rifle? Don't forget "confiscation is an option". I'd suggest make it compliant or hide it in a free state. gl everyone we are getting close to Jan 2014 ever day :(

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
You are good to go! :D Have as many features as you want... :) until they come to take it.. :wacko:... and they will come to take it... :err:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts