New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A few weeks ago I posted and asked about a hk45 tactical with threaded barrel. Most said you could not own it in NY..

Low and behold, I go into Buffalo gun center today, and while its not the model I want, they have in a new usp tactical with the threaded barrel. Im like................... wtf !!!!!!! Even the guys at the gun center told me its a no no on threaded barrels when I had asked about the new hk45t now they get one in and tell me its perfectly legal as long as you dont silence it.

So there ya have it folks............ ask 20 questions get 20 different answers.

Im now on the hunt for the new HK45T in OD Green !!!!!!!!!!!!
Because I can !!!!!!!!!!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
They are wrong.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
What is the state going to arrest you for, having your registered handgun not registered? The law cancels itself out. I have handguns with threaded barrels and they are registered so how do I register a gun that is already registered? Also as you know, silencers are illegal in NY so threaded barrels are a waste of money. The only reason I have them is because that is the way they came.

James

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Wrong or a Waste is irrelevant ............ was just clearing up the point about threaded barrel pistols in NY. Like I said alot of posters told me I could not purchase a pistol with a threaded barrel, now I know that you can.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Wrong or a Waste is irrelevant ............ was just clearing up the point about threaded barrel pistols in NY. Like I said alot of posters told me I could not purchase a pistol with a threaded barrel, now I know that you can.
You can at Buffalo Gun Center! Try buying one at another dealer and see if they will sell you one. I'm glad you can get one though! I mean, you have to hold your temptations back from killing someone. You would not have this issue if the barrel was not threaded so just be careful! LOL

James

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Ok, you can not *LEGALLY* do so.

They are illegal under the unSAFE act.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Some sleeved barrels come threaded for the sleeve end cap to attach.
This secures the sleeve and nothing else but potentially one coudl have a piece that does that and something else.
These are being sold all over. Walter and now M&P user this system. So the definition of threaded needs to be clarified.
unSafe assumes it is threaded for other purposes I think.
If the intention is to attach something the suppressors are illegal and the compensators and brakes are useless anyway.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
A SEMIAUTOMATIC PISTOL THAT HAS AN ABILITY TO ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS AT LEAST ONE OF THE FOLLOWING CHARACTERISTICS:

a) threaded barrel capable of accepting a barrel extender, flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Funny thing is, I'm fairly certain that's not the first report I've even seen on this forum of Buffalo Gun Center having something illegal in NY for sale. I seem to remember that one member bought a Ruger charger there and later realized he was not allowed to own it. Another member, that many of us would well recognize, also bought a charger at some other store. I myself have seen firearms for sale in stores that were not NY legal. In some cases these guns might be available for LEO only, while others are just simply store screw ups.

The point is that YOU need to know the laws. Don't believe everything someone behind a gun store counter tells you.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Im just stating what they had on the shelve. Perhaps its for sale for LEO only but was not marked in such a way. Im not defending them but would find it hard to believe a shop hat has been around for 50 years would not know the law. I will stop back in there and quiz them on it on Friday.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Funny thing is, I'm fairly certain that's not the first report I've even seen on this forum of Buffalo Gun Center having something illegal in NY for sale. I seem to remember that one member bought a Ruger charger there and later realized he was not allowed to own it. Another member, that many of us would well recognize, also bought a charger at some other store. I myself have seen firearms for sale in stores that were not NY legal. In some cases these guns might be available for LEO only, while others are just simply store screw ups.

The point is that YOU need to know the laws. Don't believe everything someone behind a gun store counter tells you.
I know of a store in NY that sells 30 round mags to anyone that asks.

Never trust an FFL as fact.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Wow, this thread is very interesting. I have always been told threaded barrels are illegal and that's the end of the story. Clearly threads make bullets steer directly into crowds of people.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Wow, this thread is very interesting. I have always been told threaded barrels are illegal and that's the end of the story. Clearly threads make bullets steer directly into crowds of people.
Well, they certainly weren't always illegal. In regard to NY handgun law, prior to the passing of the safe act, threaded barrels counted exactly as they do now; namely as 1 feature (of 1 allowable feature though, since it took 2 features to make an 'assault weapon'). The difference is that the unSAFE act says that 1 feature now makes an 'Assault weapon' instead of two. So, the single feature of a threaded barrel now makes a semi auto pistol into an 'Assault weapon".

Before the NY SafeAct though it was perfectly leagal to have a threaded barrel as long as you didn't have any other of the listed 'Assault' features to go along with it. Threaded barrel guns were commonly sold in stores prior to this year, and were/are widely used on modified competition guns; typically for use with muzzle brakes/ compensators.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts
Just because they have it doesn't mean that Andy approves. There is a LGS near here that have rifles that are illegal to sell in New York. When I asked about one the last time I was in, they said they were for LEO sale only, but just liked having them on display. There were no tags or markings that showed that though.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
I thought you had to loc-tite the barrel end caps on or something, hmm, learn something new about these laws every day

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
The laws are stupid. It should come down to criminal intent. I can own a hammer and be a master craftsman or I can be a mugger using blunt force trauma. The government's response is to pseudo-ban everything for "the greater good thus saving one child". It's hard to respect lawmakers when they're such a bunch of ingoranuses and elected by their own kind.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
You can also own two barrels, one threaded and one not.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
The law is stupid we all know that but it is the new law nevertheless.
The good ol' threaded barrel is illegal according to unSAFE.
Some threaded barrels are being sold but they are sleeved barrels normally 22LR german pistols and this to hold the end cap / sleeve assembly and they are being sold in every store as it is not considered for the purpose of a flash suppressor or compensator.
Any FFLs in NY selling the good ol' barrels threaded are giving you an illegal firearm.
A couple of years back I met a guy with a collapsible stock AR with flash hider who bought it in a store in Rochester.

Like Darth said, bottom line do not trust the seller. They are making BIG mistakes.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
It is illegal. Further, to the registration questions, the law does not require that it be "registered", it requires that it be registered as an assault weapon using their system for such. Just because a handgun is "registered" in one place does not mean it is all set. I could register my car with AAA and that does not satisfy NYS' requirement to register it with the DMV.

So this assault weapon that you acquired after the passing of the SAFE act would be required to be registered, except that if you do so and it comes out that you acquired it now, you are incriminating yourself. If you don't register it, it is illegal after that part of the law goes into effect.

Buffalo Gun Center's opinion on the above is irrelevant. Personally I would throw the barrel in a drawer and buy a replacement barrel from HK or elsewhere and be done with it.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The hotline says that if an assault weapon is already listed on your pistol permit, you don't have to re-register it on the assault weapon form. If you look at the address of where you're supposed to mail your assault weapon registration forms, yep, you guessed it, New York State Pistol Permit Bureau. It's all the same records/files.

When you go to take your newly purchased gun that has threading on it to the pistol bureau to be inspected and added to your license, by law, they should deny it and make you bring it back to the store, assuming they don't confiscate it.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts