New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Personally, I'm not old enough to get a CCW and carry, and still have a few years. It seems pepper spray is the best option for this case.

I've heard of the Kimber Pepper Spray Does anyone have experience with this? Or have any thoughts on the fact that it is shaped more like a firearm? Any alternative pepper spray products that you would suggest?

Thanks!

·
Occupy NYF JBT Tank Operator
2,322 Posts
I suggest a backup plan such as a knife or time on the treadmill. My last OC deployment had zero affect and it was game on.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I agree with spyder, but if you're going to carry OC spray, I believe the law states it cannot be disguised, such as what you're saying is that it looks like a gun.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Well, I personally have watched enough episodes of COPS to say I would not rely on OC to be my only line of defense. I've seen more than a few guys fight the cops through it. But it's better than nothing, and not lethal if it gets used on you. If your not old enough to carry, then your best defense is being faster than the attacker. Run like hell, I know no one could catch me at 18 except other sprinters on the track team.

Anything else that's legal to carry I would back up with training, like you would a carry firearm. Otherwise you holding it could prove worse for you than if you didn't have it at all.

·
Registered
853 Posts
If you've no other options, carry it. Even if you were able to conceal carry a firearm, I'd carry it. Unless you're looking for trouble, you're more likely to be in a situation where you may use pepper spray than pull a firearm. Make sure whatever you may buy is NY legal. What sucks though is that the NYSP approved form for legally purchasing pepper spray is more intrusive than filling out a 4473 for a firearm.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Its better than nothing, like others have said have a back-up plan to go along with the OC. Every once in a while I carry a can of Sabre Red along with a firearm.

·
Registered
977 Posts
If you've no other options, carry it. Even if you were able to conceal carry a firearm, I'd carry it. Unless you're looking for trouble, you're more likely to be in a situation where you may use pepper spray than pull a firearm. Make sure whatever you may buy is NY legal. What sucks though is that the NYSP approved form for legally purchasing pepper spray is more intrusive than filling out a 4473 for a firearm.
Never heard of having to fill out a form to buy it, just have had to show that I was 18 in the past.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm 19, so age isn't my worry. My LGS is actually dealer in PA has them...but I have heard you must buy it from someone licensed in NYS? Anyone know for sure? Thanks spyder, trip, and everyone for input. I do carry a knife as a tool. Don't think I'd be comfortable using it as a primary defense weapon. That would be a last effort tool for me.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Can't hurt to have it. Like above, an assisted open knife and running shoes are always good to have gun or not.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'm 19, so age isn't my worry. My LGS is actually dealer in PA has them...but I have heard you must buy it from someone licensed in NYS? Anyone know for sure? Thanks spyder, trip, and everyone for input. I do carry a knife as a tool. Don't think I'd be comfortable using it as a primary defense weapon. That would be a last effort tool for me.
From what I've seen the only places in NY that carry it are gun dealers. Some police supply stores may carry it as well, I don't know. I think technically by the way the law is written, is those with an FFL and Pharmacists can sell it so yeah I guess technically stores have to have a license. I know the Gander Mtn stores carry it, and Herb's may even carry it

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
From what I've seen the only places in NY that carry it are gun dealers. Some police supply stores may carry it as well, I don't know. I think technically by the way the law is written, is those with an FFL and Pharmacists can sell it so yeah I guess technically stores have to have a license. I know the Gander Mtn stores carry it, and Herb's may even carry it
I guess I'll have to ask the FFL in NY. My only concern would be buying it in PA, but, I don't see why it would really matter. I'll look into it. Thanks for your help guys.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Don't see why it would matter if you bought it in PA and brought it here, so long as it's within whatever max strength NY says you can have. Sabre red bought in PA is the same as Sabre red bought in NY, but I could very well be wrong as far as bringing it back here.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't see why it would matter if you bought it in PA and brought it here, so long as it's within whatever max strength NY says you can have. Sabre red bought in PA is the same as Sabre red bought in NY, but I could very well be wrong as far as bringing it back here.
That would be my thought as well...but, we do live in New York. I will get home from college Thursday and talk to my FFL. I'll post my findings/purchase when it occurs!

·
Registered
853 Posts
Never heard of having to fill out a form to buy it, just have had to show that I was 18 in the past.
Legally, in NY, "pepper spray" or "mace" can only be sold by a licensed pharmacist or FFL dealer and the spray sold must be a maximum of 3/4 ounce, .7% total capaicinoids, and there is a limit of two cans per person per purchase, and one must be at least eighteen years of age to purchase. The forn that is "supposed" to be filled out by the purchaser is actually more intrusive than filling out a form 4473 for a firearms purchase in that a 4473 has the option to not provide ones SS number. The D17 form doesn't specifically provide that option.

Font Material property Parallel Rectangle Paper

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Legally, in NY, "pepper spray" or "mace" can only be sold by a licensed pharmacist or FFL dealer and the spray sold must be a maximum of 3/4 ounce, .7% total capaicinoids, and there is a limit of two cans per person per purchase, and one must be at least eighteen years of age to purchase. The forn that is "supposed" to be filled out by the purchaser is actually more intrusive than filling out a form 4473 for a firearms purchase in that a 4473 has the option to not provide ones SS number. The D17 form doesn't specifically provide that option.

View attachment 17331
So, correct me if I am wrong, but the pepper blaster is a no-go then? Reading here, Kimber Pepper Blaster II it looks like it has a 2.4 total capaicinoids?

·
Registered
853 Posts
The specs mentioned (weight and %) are the latest that the NYSP has provided to dealers legally allowed to sell the products. Major distributors though will sell the Kimber PB2 to NY dealers so I wouldn't worry about it. What I don't like about the PB2 though it is that it is a two shot deal only.

·
Registered
977 Posts
I'd say Heuy is probably correct. The NYS Dept of Health is who regulates OC spray; here's the link right to their regulations on OC.

Viewing Section 54.3 - Requirements.

Edit: Personally I would stick to the standard canisters you can get at gun stores. They're typically a stream, and don't require what looks to be the level of accuracy that the blaster may require.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
There are 5,233 active listings on Ebay for pepper spray at this moment........Jut sayin'........

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
The Kimber Pepper Blaster II is perfectly legal in NY. It's sold at most gun shops for $40-$50.

Automotive lighting Bicycle part Rectangle Automotive exterior Font

The Mace brand Pepper Gun is apparently not, though I'm not sure why.

Trigger Gun barrel Font Air gun Poster

1 - 20 of 25 Posts