New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I cannot get any of my suppliers to ship me pepper spray for a non lethal defense item but I can get pretty much any firearm you want. The lovely folks at my state regulating agency tell me the pepper spray does not comply with the maximum amount of OC %, I say this is crazy I am trying to provide an alternate to lethal force, the response sorry that's the law that the health dept controls, so the DOH now controls safety too, bullet or pepper spray, I think I would choose crying over a hole in me. time for drinks :)

·
I kill deer... and I like it
1,336 Posts
If you ever have to shoot an assailant, show a copy of your conversations with NY state in court. Tell them you didn't want to shoot anyone, but NY wouldn't let you spray them with plant extract.

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Bottom line, it's NY. If you're not a victim, you're a criminal. Those are your only two options. Pick one and live (or die) with the consequences.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
So I cannot get any of my suppliers to ship me pepper spray for a non lethal defense item but I can get pretty much any firearm you want. The lovely folks at my state regulating agency tell me the pepper spray does not comply with the maximum amount of OC %, I say this is crazy I am trying to provide an alternate to lethal force, the response sorry that's the law that the health dept controls, so the DOH now controls safety too, bullet or pepper spray, I think I would choose crying over a hole in me. time for drinks :)
Amazing!
What about bear sprays? same thing? Anyone knows?

·
Registered
986 Posts
Has anyone ever tried carb cleaner? Yes, I know the can is real big, but a friend of mine got some in his eyes and he was incapacitated for several hours.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Is it legal to manufacture your own? There are hot sauces out there MUCH hotter than pepper spray...

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
RSR and Amchar both stock it and are in NY.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Sounds like BS to me. I just found a law saying that DOH is supposed to make regulations with cooperation from NYS DOCJS, and NYSP Superintendent. Also apparently its illegal to spray it unless its for self defense, so I guess spraying it to test how far stream goes is illegal too.

Here is the law which is kinda dumb IMO
Laws of New York

15. Possession and sale of a self-defense spray device as defined in paragraph fourteen of this subdivision by a dealer in firearms licensed pursuant to section 400.00 of this chapter, a pharmacist licensed pursuant to article one hundred thirty-seven of the education law or by such other vendor as may be authorized and approved by the superintendent of state police. (a) Every self-defense spray device shall be accompanied by an insert or inserts which include directions for use, first aid information, safety and storage information and which shall also contain a toll free telephone number for the purpose of allowing any purchaser to call and receive additional information regarding the availability of local courses in self-defense training and safety in the use of a self-defense spray device. (b) Before delivering a self-defense spray device to any person, the licensed or authorized dealer shall require proof of age and a sworn statement on a form approved by the superintendent of state police that such person has not been convicted of a felony or any crime involving an assault. Such forms shall be forwarded to the division of state police at such intervals as directed by the superintendent of state police. Absent any such direction the forms shall be maintained on the premises of the vendor and shall be open at all reasonable hours for inspection by any peace officer or police officer, acting pursuant to his or her
special duties. No more than two self-defense spray devices may be sold at any one time to a single purchaser.

This is the NYS DOH regulation
http://weblinks.westlaw.com/result/...E&ss=CNT&sskey=CLID_SSSA70388491821264&vr=2.0
Section 54.3.* Requirements.

Every self-defense spray device which is purchased, possessed or used in New York State shall satisfy all of the following requirements:

(a) Every self-defense spray device shall contain oleoresin capsicum, and no other substance, as the active ingredient.

(b) The contents of every self-defense spray device shall not contain more than 0.7 percent by weight total capsaicinoids.

(c) The net weight of every self-defense spray device shall not exceed 0.75 ounce.

Best Section End Best Section Begin (d) Every self-defense spray device shall have a safety device.

(e) Every self-defense spray device shall be sold in a sealed, tamper-proof package.

(f) Every self-defense spray device shall not be camouflaged.

(g) Every self-defense spray device shall be accompanied by an insert or inserts which include directions for use, first aid information, safety and storage information and which shall also contain a toll-free telephone number for the purpose of allowing any purchaser to call and receive additional information regarding the availability of local courses in self-defense training and safety in the use of a self-defense spray device.

Best Section End (h) Every self-defense spray device shall bear the following label: "Warning: The use of this substance or device for any purpose other than self-defense is a criminal offense under the law. The contents are dangerous - use with care. This device shall not be sold by anyone other than a licensed or authorized dealer. Possession of this device by a person under the age of 18 or by anyone who has been convicted of a felony or assault is illegal. Violators may be prosecuted under the law." This label shall appear on the self-defense spray device if the self-defense spray device does not bear the labels required by the California Penal Code pursuant to section 12403.7(a)(5)(B) and by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission pursuant to 16 Code of Federal Regulations section 1500. This label shall appear on self-defense spray device packaging materials or the self-defense spray device if the self-defense spray device bears the labels required by California Penal Code pursuant to section 12403.7(a)(5)(B) and by the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission pursuant to 16 Code of Federal Regulations section 1500.

What % was the stuff you tried getting? according to the above it can contain upto 0.7% capsicum by weight.

·
Registered
982 Posts
RSR and Amchar both stock it and are in NY.
I thought it was legal in NY. What's the problem?

Is it legal to manufacture your own? There are hot sauces out there MUCH hotter than pepper spray...
I'd use a combination of hair spray and fire.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
This state really is "special" lol. I guess Bear Sprays AREN'T "self defense sprays and they are "pesticides" so they can be over the limit on capsicum. I really dont understand this state lol.
Is Bear Spray (Bear Repellent) Legal in NYS? | Practical Outdoors

So firefly firearms I guess if you wanted to you could sell the bear spray without issue possibly (not sure about liability you might have though) but this whole thing is ridiculous .

Good Luck

·
Registered
687 Posts
"The Forest Service has issued a BEAR WARNING in the national forests
for this summer. They're urging everyone to protect themselves by
wearing bells and carrying pepper spray.

Campers should be alert for signs of fresh bear activity, and they
should be able to tell the difference between Black Bear dung and
Grizzy Bear dung.

Black Bear dung is rather small and round. Sometimes you can see
fruit seeds and/or squirrel fur in it.

Grizzly Bear dung has bells in it, and smells like pepper spray!"

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
I'd use a combination of hair spray and fire.

That out of the way, I was doing a little sidework and stopped into my favorite LGS, and I could've sworn they had some of the Kimber pepper blasters, so there's probably someone shipping spray into NYS, it must just be that specific vendor avoiding it for liability reasons.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts

That out of the way, I was doing a little sidework and stopped into my favorite LGS, and I could've sworn they had some of the Kimber pepper blasters, so there's probably someone shipping spray into NYS, it must just be that specific vendor avoiding it for liability reasons.
LMAO.. that guy is ugly as hell....

here is some other idea where sprays or clubs are not allowed but pets are...

1 - 17 of 17 Posts