New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have quite a few things for sale on this forum as well as others. The questions I've been getting through PM's are killing me. For example, I have a scope mount for sale. In the ad, I included the part number. I've gotten 3 emails asking if it will fit certain guns. Now, wouldn't be easier to whip out some google-foo and look it up yourself? Another example, and this one chaps my hide. I have a Winchester 1200 for sale (SPF right now) and got a PM asking if it was a pump. What the hell? I can understand a novice not being able to tell from the very detailed pictures I took, but are people really that lazy to do a bit of research themselves?

I know when I need answers, I look them up myself and don't expect people to hold my hand.

Sorry for the rant, but....wow! I'm losing faith in humanity.

·
Registered
573 Posts
You're expecting too much. People see the ad, and what YOU to do the research for them. Either ignore their mail and maybe lose the sale, or do the digging, and maybe make a sale.
The problem is, if you do the digging for them, and they didn't give you 100% accurate info about what they have, then they will blame you when it doesn't fit.

·
Registered
982 Posts
I used to put that right in my ebay ads. I am selling my part, it's part number this, I have no idea if it will fit your car. Look up your car on this site (give them the link) if your car shows this number. It will fit. people are lazy.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have quite a few things for sale on this forum as well as others. The questions I've been getting through PM's are killing me. For example, I have a scope mount for sale. In the ad, I included the part number. I've gotten 3 emails asking if it will fit certain guns. Now, wouldn't be easier to whip out some google-foo and look it up yourself? Another example, and this one chaps my hide. I have a Winchester 1200 for sale (SPF right now) and got a PM asking if it was a pump. What the hell? I can understand a novice not being able to tell from the very detailed pictures I took, but are people really that lazy to do a bit of research themselves?

I know when I need answers, I look them up myself and don't expect people to hold my hand.

So your assumption is that gun owners have higher IQs than regular folk? Why, because they can read a Constitution?

As soon as I started listing things on forums and Gunbroker I bought a farm. Literally bought a working farm with a natural water source. It's only a matter of time. If people don't start taking responsibility and stop blaming everybody else (including the people in the government) we'll be done. Maybe it's meant to be.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Has nothing to do with being a gun owner or not. With the guys who wanted to know if the scope base would fit their gun, I'm assuming they're gun owners. Don't get me wrong, some gun owners are idiots too :p

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
The only thing I have seen dumb about the sale forums is some of the prices!!!!!Seems like some actually do think we are idiots LOL...

·
Registered
355 Posts
I have bought and sold on a few....

One is great; smart buyers, good honest sellers.......no surprise its invitation only.

The rest you deal with it.....I just delete the dumb question ones and don't bother anymore and the low ballers. Then you put them on ignore and they are gone forever, best feature on forums there is. LOL

·
Registered
725 Posts
When I worked in auto parts years ago, I would sometimes ask a guy calling about a new clutch if the car was a stick or automatic. You would be surprised at how many said "hold on let me check" :D

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
you will have 100 people say they are VERY interested

80 will ask 1000 questions

70 will ask the same questions twice

60 will totally disregard reading any info in your ad

5 will have enough money for what your selling

3 are serious buyers

your lucky if 1-2 people are REAL buyers with cash to fund it.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts

I get that a lot online. Never happened here though but what I do is just delete it and not reply back. I'm not going to spoon feed people when they have all the information at their fingertips. Another good one is when you are selling something and you state you do not know what it fits and then they ask you what it fits. Pisses me off! So far knock on wood I never had anywhere here like that.

James

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
Sometimes its more trouble than its worth to sell anywhere that has free classified ads (forums, craigslist, etc.)

Lately I've been selling on ebay - in spite of any issues I have with their business practices. Less time is wasted responding to tire-kickers and low-ballers. For me, its worth the commission for ebay/paypal not to deal with people who are looking for something for nothing.

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
It only takes a few extra mins to answer a few "dumb" questions,I mean the goal is to sell your item correct ?? If I have to answer a few extra questions,wether I like them or not to complete my sale,hell yes I will do it......It's all about the money son,it's all about the money....:cool:

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I hear ya, thing that really get me is people who can't take 5 seconds to respond to a email/pm at all.

·
Registered
649 Posts
The only thing I have seen dumb about the sale forums is some of the prices!!!!!Seems like some actually do think we are idiots LOL...
Yeah... really.

I love it deals like this. I've actually seen it. :

" I only want back what I put in to it. You are saving on all the tax and s&H that I paid. The item is brand new".

OR

"Paid 420$. Asking 400$ firm.".

WHAAAAT ? REALLY ?

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Yeah... really.

I love it deals like this. I've actually seen it. :
" I only want back what I put in to it. You are saving on all the tax and s&H that I paid. The item is brand new".
Dont forget the ones with links to there product/prices.Always the high ones as you can look on Amazon and buy new cheaper WTF!

·
Registered
112 Posts
My favorite is $700 Firm, then 3 days later $675 Firm, then 3 days later, and so on and so on........

Or "$700 or it goes back in the safe". A week later it's $600.

Gotta love it!!!! It's not the cure to cancer, it's a decision you regret, obviously. Or you need money, in that case get what you can, not what you want.

·
Registered
2,316 Posts
Firm will not never stop me from making a lower offer. The only time firm separates me from my cash is if I really want it.

Most of the time, that's just not good enough though. I want a deal and you want my cash now. :D

I never initiate contact unless I'm truly ready to buy though. I hate wasting my time and theirs.

But anyway, this is the way of the current generation of internet user. They have google, youtube and a plethora of other information they can pull from, they would rather go to my website, email me and ask how to use their stolen software (I'm a recording engineer as a second job and have a small presence on youtube for it).

·
Registered
148 Posts
Only thing I ever sold online was on another forum. I got lucky.
I listed XXXX for sale, details, etc. Fits on XXX. This much $$.
First guy knew what it was, wanted it, talked me down the five bucks I expected him to, and mailed me a good check.
Lucky me! Lol.

Here's a true story, and I'm too dumb to make this up. Lol.
I recently had a sale add in the local paper for an item.
I had a guy call and offer me $50 more than I advertised, sight unseen. Then he wanted me to bring it to a motel room so he could buy it.
I called him back and told him I changed my mind and wasn't selling it. Lol.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts