New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a new Glock 26 today. Yay me. Now, I go to the permit office to get it added, and he fills out the amendment sheet and says "May I see your permit?" I give it to him. He says "OK, should be ready in 1-2 days. I'm thinking "OK, now give me my permit back." NOPE! They KEEP the permit! So now I have no permit in my possession. What I I got pulled and had my Walther on me!? They'd have to call the judge, or would that already be against the law!? Just doesn't sit right with me...

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
does seem odd. it should not matter but does your permit have restrictions? if it does maybe they have the mentaility that you shouldnt be carrying anyway. you never know in this state lol

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
does seem odd. it should not matter but does your permit have restrictions? if it does maybe they have the mentaility that you shouldnt be carrying anyway. you never know in this state lol
Yes, but for Hunting/Target and all recreational purposes. I could easily have went to the range, bought the Glock, and got it added, and be carrying around my pistol with no permit.

I have no temporary or anything. :/

·
Registered
131 Posts
I would think that the only one to keep hold of your permit would be the issuing office. There would be no way I would walk out without my permit.
Can not even imagine the grief one would go through without it...............Personally I would go back and retrieve your permit from them.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
That certainly does seem strange to me. I have never heard of such a thing, but of course things do vary by county. Did you bring up the issue that you have another pistol (I assume from your sig line anyway) and therefore might potentially require some paperwork for proof of legal ownership ? I realize this is probably a silly question, but as the reader here we don't know if you just said "Ok" and walked away, you know what I mean. It seems like if that is their SOP that there must be some temporary paperwork system in place. If you didn't ask, perhaps the person just forgot.. or.. oh I don't know, but I would certainly call your permit office and work it out.

·
Registered
365 Posts
???

Here in Franklin we get two cards, or I did anyway. One is the Permit Card and the other is a Weapons Card. You can keep the Permit Card with you. You just mail the Weapons Card to the County Clerk in with the receipt. Two days later the card comes back with the weapon on it, the receipt, and a purchase coupon you give to the dealer so you can pick up your gun. If you went in person it wouldn't even take 15 minutes.

·
Registered
17 Posts
That is retarded. In Onondaga county you walk in, fill out the amendment sheet, give it to them with your permit and bill of sale, and your out the door in 5 minutes with a new permit card that has the pistol on it and a coupon to pick the gun up.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That certainly does seem strange to me. I have never heard of such a thing, but of course things do vary by county. Did you bring up the issue that you have another pistol (I assume from your sig line anyway) and therefore might potentially require some paperwork for proof of legal ownership ? I realize this is probably a silly question, but as the reader here we don't know if you just said "Ok" and walked away, you know what I mean. It seems like if that is their SOP that there must be some temporary paperwork system in place. If you didn't ask, perhaps the person just forgot.. or.. oh I don't know, but I would certainly call your permit office and work it out.
I didn't only because I THINK I was dealing WITH the judge. It certainly wasn't his secretary, because it was a male and his is a female, and he was in his office. I think it was the Judge. I asked "You keep my permit until I come back?" and I got a "Yes."

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
Ah, interesting, the plot thickens.. heh. One has to wonder then if this person (potentially or likely the judge himself) wasn't even completely familiar with initiating the amendment process without the aid of his clerk. That wouldn't surprise me in the least if he wasn't.
Here in Ulster Co. for example, we bring the bill of sale and firearm card to a pistol permit specific clerk's office (Maureen and the ladies are the best). Amendments are done on the spot with a sort of 'rubber stamp' system assigned to the clerk via the judges. If the judges who are ultimately responsible though were to be stuck in the clerk's office at their computer terminals, my bet would be that they wouldn't know where to begin. It sounds like the system might be a little smaller where you are, but I still wonder if something along those lines is what occurred.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ah, interesting, the plot thickens.. heh. One has to wonder then if this person (potentially or likely the judge himself) wasn't even completely familiar with initiating the amendment process without the aid of his clerk. That wouldn't surprise me in the least if he wasn't.
Here in Ulster Co. for example, we bring the bill of sale and firearm card to a pistol permit specific clerk's office (Maureen and the ladies are the best). Amendments are done on the spot with a sort of 'rubber stamp' system assigned to the clerk via the judges. If the judges who are ultimately responsible though were to be stuck in the clerk's office at their computer terminals, my bet would be that they wouldn't know where to begin. It sounds like the system might be a little smaller where you are, but I still wonder if something along those lines is what occurred.
He seemed to know what to do though. He asked for my permit and bill of sale, I gave, he took out the pad of "amendment forms", filled in all the info, and said "should take one or two days", then I asked about them keeping it and he said yes.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I would not carry until you get it back if this his how your county does it. Also, I'd make sure you never carry when you go do an ammendment. You do not want to be questioned without that piece of paper to hand to an LEO.

Maybe when you get back in there, ask them about how you'd prove you have a permit while they are holding it. Since everything varies county to county, it's hard for some of us to give better advice. If I lived in your county, I'd be careful. Was there any instruction on this when you got your permit? You can't be the first person in the county to question this process.

Here in Monroe, I've bought a gun, gone to the clerks office and got it added, then gone back and picked it up within the hour. We don't have any coupons or other process to follow. They throw it in the typewriter right there, and add the gun to the back of the paper permit (no plastic yet). It takes 2 trips to the gun store, but it's not that bad to deal with. I'm in and out of the county clerks office in under 15 min. If only the DMV could learn from them.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
He seemed to know what to do though. He asked for my permit and bill of sale, I gave, he took out the pad of "amendment forms", filled in all the info, and said "should take one or two days", then I asked about them keeping it and he said yes.
Yeah, I didn't mean to imply that he did anything wrong, simply that it could be a possibility something was forgotten on his end. No way I could know how it works in your county anyway. There has to be some other folks on here from your neck of the woods; hopefully either someone with local experience will chime in, or just that two days will go by and everything turns out smoothly.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
We walk in and walk out with ours added right then and there
Same here in Broome but you do not get the coupon for 1-3 days, they either mail it to you or you can pick it up. Who are the a-holes who write these laws?

James

·
Registered
2,766 Posts
Tioga county used to do this, apparently they gave you a receipt or something to show that you do have a permit.

I agree, though, this is a horrible policy that should be changed.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I'm home with my new Glock 26. And yes, it is in fact the policy to take the permit from you. They handed back the permit with the purchase coupon. Just need to be careful in the period of time around which I get an amendment added. :/

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
So what if you had been pulled over while going to or coming home from the range? Seems kind of weird how they would leave you without proof that you had a permit for the couple days it could take.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
So what if you had been pulled over while going to or coming home from the range? Seems kind of weird how they would leave you without proof that you had a permit for the couple days it could take.
Your screwed? I know, I don't agree with it either, but Montgomery County isn't very ship shape with their permit process, so the amendment process shouldn't surprise me. :/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts