New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so lately im really in love with the 357 mag from S&W, there on sale this week and next weekend at gander there is a 50% off coupon for uniformed personel. ive only shot a revolver a few times and its a huge change from the semi auto handguns ive shot ince i was 18. any of you guys with revolvers have any advice for a noob like myself? thankx Bryan

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Whats the model, barrel length, make? I have a S&W model 28 and a Colt Python in .357. both great shooters, the Python is the safe queen, also own a Taurus snubby in .38, and an S&W .22, all 4 very reliable and good guns, not sure what you are looking at and want to do with it

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
its the 686 model with a 4" barrel ni basically want to use it as my primary CCW weapon i love the stopping power of it and the compact size is a pluse. i want something i can use on the hip in the summer and not have it become bulky i also like that its seems to be small enough to wear in an ankle holster so i can hide it as my 2nd gun while im on duty at the hospital. like i said though im very used to semi auto 9mm's so this is a drastick change for me. how is the consistancy anad reciol compared to say a glock?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
sorry about the spelling and typos it wont let me go back and edit lol

·
Registered
471 Posts
Stig- 4" .357 is too big to ankle carry IMHO, you might consider a smaller one.

Guy -The Colt Python is the best revolver ever made. Keeping one as a "safe queen" is a sin. Take it to the range!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
^whats the smallest barrel they go and still keep the caliber?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
A snub .357 is just unnecessary muzzle blast and recoil. If you get a sub nose load it with .38 +P.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
A snub .357 is just unnecessary muzzle blast and recoil. If you get a sub nose load it with .38 +P.
Agree but that is what the OP wanted. Heck the 357 for my home defense has 38 special in it because I do not want to blow my eardrums out while taking down a perp. Anyone who has not fired a 357 Magnum should know it is one loud round! So if you plan on shooting indoors, you may get some hearing damage. Seriously it is that loud. Forget the 44 Magnum, we will not go there LOL!

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
so you guys recomend the .38 as a better CCW then? like i said i do not own a revolver i have shot a 357 before and it was amazing(outside) lol the 38 special is fairly cheap if i remember correctly as well.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
There are plenty of good 357s out there, since you indicated you are going to use it as a ccw gun, you will want to make sure that you can carry it concealed. If you are a big guy like me carrying a full sized revolver won't be a problem, if not you may want to rethink your choice.

I have been looking at getting a S&W 627 just for the fun of it.

I would go for a 357 if I were you just because of the ammo choices you will have available to you.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
so you guys recomend the .38 as a better CCW then? like i said i do not own a revolver i have shot a 357 before and it was amazing(outside) lol the 38 special is fairly cheap if i remember correctly as well.
One thing I just wanted to clarify for you, because I'm not sure given the context of this thread whether you realize it or not, is that with a .357 you have the best of both worlds. You can fire .38 special out of any revolver chambered for .357 magnum. Just as you can fire .44 special from any revolver chambered in .44 magnum.

I'm a big revolver fan, and collect S&Ws. My personal favorite revolver is a 686 (though I prefer and only own those of the 'pre-lock' variety). Personally, I don't consider the L-frame 686 to be necessarily too big for concealed carry, but of course that depends entirely on your body type and intended carry method. It certainly wouldn't be the most comfortable gun to conceal either. While not my primary carry gun under most circumstances, I do sometimes carry a model 66 in .357 with a 2.5" barrel. When I do so, I generally have it loaded with some proven .38+p loads, with an additional speedloader of .357s on my belt. The model 66 is a K-frame which is basically identical to the L-frame. The L-frame is a slightly more reinforced frame, but close enough that the two share holsters.

I wouldn't consider the 686 with a 4" barrel to be a compact gun though by any means. You mention the potential prospect of ankle carry with it, and that seems fairly daunting to me.

·
Registered
149 Posts
You might want to try to find a S&W Model 60. It's a J Frame in .357 with a 3" barrel. Small enough to CC and the 3" is a nice medium between the snubby and the 4". You'll have the option between .38 and .357 which is nice.
I keep going back in my head on picking one up.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the great info guys i really learned alot and that most certainly helped in my decision to pick up a 357 mag 2" in barrel today. thanks again for all the info i am so pumped to shoot this beast !!!! lol

- cant wait till i make my next purchase, im thinking 1911. !!!

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
thanks for all the great info guys i really learned alot and that most certainly helped in my decision to pick up a 357 mag 2" in barrel today. thanks again for all the info i am so pumped to shoot this beast !!!! lol
- cant wait till i make my next purchase, im thinking 1911. !!!
So what model did you end up with ?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i ended up going with the EAA windicator 357 mag. it was on sale for $275. liked the gun and the price so i scooped it up. it was half of what i was going to spend on the S&W. im happy with it this thing is built like a tank. (i would throw up some pics but i cant figure out how) lol

·
Registered
3,441 Posts
Congrats on your new gun, .357 gives you more options for sure, I am limited with my .38 but I got a good deal on it and .38 will still knock anyone on their ass if you know how to shoot. To post pics I send a text of my phone pic to mt e mail, then save, at the top of the posting box choose the 4th icon from the right, it will ask for URL or computer, then select files, I keep mine on desktop, so I go to desktop and click on the image I want and hit select and they will stick to your post, or something like that, I am challenged but I seem to be able to do it easier every time, not sure how to get it there with a blackberry or I phone but I am sure it is even easier than this

1 - 20 of 24 Posts