New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, watching everyone around me make WAY more money than me and not knowing sh!t about really anything I'm now leaning towards the reserves. I can't afford to go back to school, college was a waste for me. I graduated on honor roll, but jobs are hard to come by with any sort of decent pay.

I'm looking into the Air Force reserves.
Anyone have any words of advice?

Either going to be an electrician or go for pavment and construstion equipment.

although EOD looks fun :) I want to choose a career for the rest of my life I can deal with. I don't like showing up to the same place every day and dealing with the same people.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Don't really know much about it but I've heard the Navy has a great program of electricians. I would think Army would be better for heavy equipment but again really don't know and not sure how much they will offer for part-time. A good friend did 8 years full time in the Air Force and loved it, but he was working on jets (fuel systems). I'm pretty sure you'll have to do Basic training for all of the programs full time, and will probably have to do any advanced schools full time as well. Best bet is to talk with a recruiter and see what they have to offer. Best of luck whatever you decide to do.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I was a Naval Reservist. When I went in, and it could be the same now, Boot Camp was only 2 weeks at Great Lakes. I was in my late 20's when I joined and because of "life experience" I went in as an E-4 (Petty Officer 3rd Class) rather than a Seaman Recruit.

1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year. Was able to keep my job and still serve. It was a great experience.

Check it out. America's Navy Reserve - A Global Force for Good: NavyReserve.com then go talk to a recruiter. No matter where you go though, read before you sign and if the recruiter makes you any promises, make sure they are in writing!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I've been through two branches of service and am currently in the Army National Guard. I do not want to sway you either way when it comes to a specific branch of service but what I do recommend is a job that would benefit you outside of the military. Depending on what you score on the ASVAB there are many opportunities available in the military so do not just pick one that sounds cool. On the other hand you also want to be happy with what you do so it should be a good balance of both. I will also tell you that the in military, even recruiting works off of fiscal years which start in October. There may not be as many opportunities available now as there will be at the start of the new fiscal year. Sit down, talk to the recruiters but also do your own research and feel free to ask current service members or vets questions because unfortunately the recruiters may not always be the most honest. Good luck.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
as far as reserve components go, i did 5 years in the NYARNG and 4 years of it was great because i belonged to a GREAT unit! the last year was painful because i transfered to a damn ''Poag'' unit, now that i'm on irr for the next 3 years i've considered re-enlisting and have pretty much narrowed it to Army Reserves or Marines Reserves. i don't know how old you are but i've been trying to convince my little sister to join the active navy for a medical career.

Scouts Out!

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I want to be an electrician. I can take that pretty much anywhere I go and I can get a job outside the base without a problem. Even at that I could go for a job at the falls base.

I'm more consered about the ASVAP at this point, I haven't done any real math in like 5 years.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
the asvab is the least of your worries lol there are a few online practice tests floating around

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My math is probably at like a 8th grade level about now haha. Phyically I can run decent. 5 miles in 45 mins is agerage for me.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
The math part is pretty easy and its the basic stuff. I believe the public library even has a book to study for the ASVAB. As mentioned before read everything you sign. Make sure any promises are in what you sign. The last contract I signed said that any promises in writing or verbally were not valid unless in that specific document I was signing.

There are pros and cons of each service. I am not sure but based on what you want to do the Navy might be the best option for you. If you have any specific questions on anything feel free to ask.

·
Registered
808 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, that dream didn't last long. Thanks to asthma. even though I havent used my inhalour in over 2 years. I can run 8 min miles.

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
Lol there's waivers for everything... I've seen some people with some messed up ****!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts