New York Firearms Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I heard a claim that someone in a fairly local manufacturer, an employee, spirited away a number of receivers, blems that had been finished but not serialized, and were supposed to be scrapped.

I've been told that they all made their way out into the wild and were used in various builds, and some were serialized by the purchaser whom is claiming it as a home build.

I haven't seen one in person, but as active as I am in the local culture, I probably will if they exist.

What to do? Other than avoid it like the plague? If someone unwittingly buys a gun built on this, what's the ramification? For that matter, since nothing is serialized, can it even be proven?

I just want to be able to advise people when this subject comes up, and I know it will. I won't touch one, that's for damn sure. Sounds like WAY more potential heat than I need/want/can deal with.

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
It's a stolen firearm with no serial number. I guess that's the risk you run if you buy a strangers home build.

·
Registered
2,323 Posts
They sell 80% machined blanks on gunbroker with no serial number...they are not consider a firearm until they are finished being milled...so anyone with the correct equipment can finish one..

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Foxtrapper, agreed. These are essentially finished lowers that were never supposed to see the light of day. The only line that might save you is the fact that it's likely untraceable without large amounts of metallurgical and other inspections. Home builds are legal, it would be tough to prove this wasn't a home build, even though I know for a fact what it is and where it came from.

I've never been offered a home build for sale, but now after hearing this I'm not likely to take the offer unless it's an AK that a friend put together personally.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Yeah, we don't need to be discussing stolen guns with no serial numbers on the forum. Avoid them and keep yourself out of jail.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.