New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a Amateur Radio Operator, I am well aware of the Sun's 11 Year Solar Cycle. It effects long range communications both on the ground and in space (International Space Station and Communication Satellites on orbit, or Satellites elsewhere in the Solar System).

One thing I did not know about this 11 Year Cycle is the fact that our Star's Magnetic Field actually switches sides at 'solar maximum'! This is information that is new to me! I know that the Earth's Magnetic Field switches every so many thousands of years, but it never occurred to me that Star's go though the same process.

Here's the link to the interesting NASA Article if you want to read it: The Sun's Magnetic Field is about to Flip

·
Registered
10,486 Posts
Will it take down the entire power grid for years? I am bored and waiting for shtf.
Cosmic rays are also affected. These are high-energy particles accelerated to nearly light speed by supernova explosions and other violent events in the galaxy. Cosmic rays are a danger to astronauts and space probes, and some researchers say they might affect the cloudiness and climate of Earth.
OH ****! CLOUDS?! Get to the choppa!

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
So everyone in the universe knows about this?

My goodness.

WE'RE FAMOUS!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At solar maximum there is generally a few days where radio communications will be almost completely shot. The amount of background static and interference will increase A LOT!

Radio's that can normally make a 3,000 mile communication will be lucky to make a 500 mile contact. Even Microwave, UHF, and VHF frequencies can be affected.

Satellites will have intermittent communications with Earth, and the Mar's Rovers will likely loose contact with Earth for several days. I follow the Mar's Rover missions, and I'm curious to see how much they will be effected by this solar cycle. Time will tell!

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
There was all the build up of sunspots and a solar EMP that could hit us with the Mayan calendar blah blah blah and ends up it was one of the quietest solar cycles on record. Disappointing....

However very cool poles are going to shift in the sun and I know our magnetic north is slowly but surely creeping each year further from true north. Immsure if that happened here we'd be in deep $h1t. Not like they'd tell us anyway.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.