New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok as stated i would get you guys some pics today i could only get cellphone pics though as i cant find my camera charger lol.

this was a spare bedroom we have 2 one is a office this is the snake/reptile room. the white stack tank below was built for about 150dollars instead of buying one which are close to 1k. within a month i will have much better pics and the entire walls will be those once i finish building the other 4. the nook was a old piece of furniture i got on craigslist for 100bucks added so heat tape to the back and its where the smaller snakes are staying until 2-3 weeks when i finish the other stack tank assemblies. i currently have 37snakes, 20-24 waiting to hatch (about another 4-5 weeks) and then in june ill go to the poughkeepsie reptile expo to get more, as well as find some local copperheads and rattlesnakes again this year. now some are confused with the law and say YOU CANT OWN venom snakes that is NOT true you can own them in NY for a $80 per year per snake fee. And you receive a DEC license to own them. with that being said here is a few pics.

This houses most of my larger guys 5-7ft snakes king snakes, cali kings, adult milk snakes, and a black racer whos hiding in the pic.

This holds about 15 different species from rat, racers, kings, milk, boas, albinos, etc

much more pics and updates will be added often any questions feel free to ask. I ALSO own a small reptile removal company as a side thing so keep me in min if you dont like them :)

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I have 2 snakes, can't afford to care for more. and keep shooting.

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Always had an interest in snakes, but don't own any (I'm sure I'll end up having a few garters when my almost-3-yr-old snags some from the backyard). So snake ownership must be a trend among LEO's. ;) Nothing would say "sit still and keep your trap shut" quite like a rattlesnake in your hands during a traffic stop.

For you guys who keep venomous species, have you ever been caught off guard and bitten by one or had any close calls? Do you have anti-venom vials and some hypodermic needles close by just in case? The "being bitten" aspect of owning venomous snakes would obviously be my biggest fear...

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
NICE!!! BB please PM me if you're selling any. I'm looking for maybe one more and that would be it. Also, nice setup!!! Now .. someone asked about being bitten. I have not been bitten by venomous species BUT a guy I use to hang around with owns an exotic pet store and due to the amount of times he's been bitten by cobra's, his spine is deteriorating. That's a good reason for me NOT to own venomous. :) Oh .. BB ... do you know where there is a reputable place locally that sells frozen rats at a decent price?? I hate spending $7-$9 per rat!! I did buy 500 mice from a guy in the Stillwater area but he hasn't been advertising lately. (500 mice for $20 delivered was a good deal!!) Please let me know. I'll post a pic or two of the Ball Pythons I have. I really want a Lemon Pastel Ball Python since they've finally come down in price. They are gorgeous!!

·
Registered
4,952 Posts
Wow...NYS has definitely made it painful to own venomous snakes (whether you're bitten or not) with that $80 annual fee per snake. Wondering if Zoo's and others who make a living by caring for venomous species are subject to the same harsh fees.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
chris I have been bitten a few times but none by venom. However i had 2 VERY close calls. i fell on a rock while looking for rattlesnakes, funny thing is me and a buddy were on our way out due to not finding any. I fall onto a 4ftx3ft rock and hear a movement underneath, soon as im going to get up (BY PUSHING MY HAND ON THE GRAND) by buddy yells stop stop, i quickly pulled my hand back off the ground to find their were 2 4ft rattlesnakes underneath the rock i fell on, had he not been there i doubt id be here today due to being about half mile into the woods in very harsh terrain.

Second i was driving a back road near Highland/New Paltz area at night, some spots in highland,marlboro,kingston, etc have many roads that run along the hudson river and are wooded, during the late spring early summer some of these roads are covered with snakes including copperheads soaking the heat from the blacktop. i was driving one night and seen a copperhead in the smack center of the road coming around a bend so i got out to move him off the road, i DID NOT have my normal tools with me now they are venomous but Not as deadly as rattlesnake i used a stick and my hand to relocate him, he swung back soon as i put him down and was about a inch MAX from clipping my hand. ( unlike popular belief due to my experience i think copperheads are THE fastest snake in our area.

chicken
I have some nice milks, and albinos hatching with 4-5 weeks ill send you some pics ill gladly give you 1. here is a pic of the eggs
during the process

and as of today

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Another ramble that you guys might find interesting. i just took this little guy from someone who purchased him at a expo 4months ago. OBVIOUSLY he had no idea what he was doing , improper feeding, etc. and im glad he put him on craigslist for a better home with someone more experiences.

these 2 snakes are from the same laying on the SAME DAY. both 4months old. mine is MUCH bigger due to proper care compared to someone without a clue.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
Red on black is a friend of Jack!Im not into reptilian pets but my buddy just got a small gator.Actually wish they lived around here,I would love to setup hooks for them around the river banks and make some expensive shoes.....

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Red on black is a friend of Jack!Im not into reptilian pets but my buddy just got a small gator.Actually wish they lived around here,I would love to setup hooks for them around the river banks and make some expensive shoes.....
actually that saying is a myth. there are a few different strands of kings and milks that are red on yellow and people kill them with the confusion they are coral snakes (venom) when they are not.

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
actually that saying is a myth. there are a few different strands of kings and milks that are red on yellow and people kill them with the confusion they are coral snakes (venom) when they are not.
Yea I heard it was just a guideline on them.Doesnt the average Garder snake give birth to live babys instead of eggs?

·
Registered
905 Posts
from the title i thought i was going to see a COLT collection. these were interesting BUT i like colt's a whole lot more. no offense ......

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
I think I would rather have a snake collection than a spider one....You can pet your gun collection though,I think I will stick to that and my dogs!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yea I heard it was just a guideline on them.Doesnt the average Garder snake give birth to live babys instead of eggs?
correct and correct

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Do you breed and sell these guys or are they just your pets?

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I want the little dude in the pic you posted!! :)

Oh ... and thanks for the offer on the newborn when they're ready!!

Snakes 002.jpg
This one is Viper. She's a good girl who appears to be getting ready to shed. Loves to hang out and is now about 4'7" long ... is she looking alittle gravid to anyone??

Snakes 003.jpg
This is Slither. He's a strapping young man at 2'7" long and .... wait ... I think ... I'll be back!!! I need to have a talk with one or both of them!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Do you breed and sell these guys or are they just your pets?
i breed them and sell most. but also have my select family. the black king snake 2nd one down in first pic, i had sense i was a kid and he was first born he is 20yrs old now

1 - 20 of 20 Posts