New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed but I haven't been able to find anything recent on it. So our beloved king cuomo (small "c" on purpose) had goofed the bill spelling muzzle brake wrong at therefore it became legal again to put one on an AR as long as it was permanent. So I finally had enough money to pay a smith to thread my barrel and attach one but when I called he said it wasn't legal. So did they fix the UNSAFE Act or did this gunsmith just not know it was stricken down by a judge last year? Thank you in advance for replying.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Did you ask for a muzzle break or a muzzle brake? The muzzle break is the one that is in the so called assault weapons definition.
But either way it has never been illegal alone.

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Some of the county DAs in the state were stating they were going to prosecute for muzzle brakes and claimed that the court ruling only applied to the western district of the state as that is where the ruling was made.
The state police SAFE enforcement manual states muzzle "brakes" as illegal.

It's all very unclear and falls to how much risk you desire to take on. No definitive answer exists for you.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Unless you are making a fixed magazine AR I would not go out of my way to make a compliant upper into something that could cause problems.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
A muzzle brake may actually be illegal, particularly on a rifle or shotgun that's short to begin with, as the material blown away may take it below the federal limits established in the National Firearms Act. For that reason, it's important to make sure your muzzle doesn't become broken.

But in all seriousity, see if you can't find proof on a reputable site to show your smith, or find a new smith. I know they have become a little scarcer around here.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts