New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm set for a month, started up the generator for a few minutes just to be safe....Glad we escaped the 100 degree temps...

·
Registered
3,225 Posts
Hopefully, a relatively minor disruption like this one can serve as a wake up call or reminder to the folks down there. The Rochester area ice storm of '91 had that effect on many of us around here. Bad as it was, it made you contemplate what you would do if things were even worse.

·
Registered
218 Posts
i have a buddy in Severna Park MD that is being told deep into the week before power is restored... He lost power friday night around 2330. He was prepared.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
I have a generator and enough gas to keep it running for 72+ hours after that I will need to start getting gas out of the vehicles if I need to keep it running and am unable to get resupplied at the local gas station (highly unlikely). The longest I have had to run the thing was 8 hours when we lost power after a wind storm a couple of years ago.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
^...... Its a good idea to find out if your car has a stopper that prevents you from sticking hose in to siphon out the gas.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Today, go try to siphon fuel from your vehicles........good luck with that.
^...... Its a good idea to find out if your car has a stopper that prevents you from sticking hose in to siphon out the gas.
Apparently you guys never removed the rubber fuel line from a tank then turned on the ignition switch gas comes out like a water fountian, and if that fails you should always have a sharp Awl. If it is that bad that I need to get gas out of the vehicle I'll punch a hole in the gas tank. When it is winter and I have a choice between a frozen house or a hole in the tank the tank loses. They only cost a couple hundred bucks if I cannot repair it with some super putty.

Just like skinning cats there more than one way to get fuel out of a modern vehicle.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
My last job we had to drain the fuel from all the cars and trucks, just disconnect the filler tube and syphon out from there. Might have to push the stopper over but it only takes a minute and you save the tank.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
My last job we had to drain the fuel from all the cars and trucks, just disconnect the filler tube and syphon out from there. Might have to push the stopper over but it only takes a minute and you save the tank.
Have had to do that as well. One of my vehicles is easy to get to the fuel filter and disconnect the line, another one is easier to get to the filler tube and the third would be easier to punch a hole in the tank (damn German cars lol).

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I see where the 911 system went out for forty eight hours. "You're on your own, dude"..This can get worse They haven't started throwing bottles yet

·
Banned
1,261 Posts
My power went out yesterday for a few hours!Started up the Honda generator with 1 pull after sitting 6 months,a great investment for anyone IMO...

·
Registered
2,893 Posts
i have a buddy in Severna Park MD that is being told deep into the week before power is restored... He lost power friday night around 2330. He was prepared.
My sister lives in Severna Park as well.....Talked to her tonight,she said MAYBE by Friday they will have power.....Trees down on power lines everywhere......:(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts