New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Scanning Around With Gene: Kids and Guns | CreativePro.com

I'm too young to remember any of this (born in 1971)... and probably a moot point anyway... growing up I was raised by a libtard mom and my father was a Vietnam vet who didn't need any reminders of the year he spent in the jungles behind the trigger. That and growing up outside of NYC there wasn't many places to go shooting anyway.

But it's good to know that once upon a time we were a society of sane, normal people.

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
did you say what you meant?..."That and growing up outside of NYC there wasn't many places to go shooting anyway"

Not many places to shoot outside of NY city?....They would'nt let me into nyc with a pistol so I guess I'll never see the big apple. And there are many many places to shoot in upstate ny.

when I was a kid we shot after school more often than not and my grand-mother could shoot a bumble bee out of the sky with a bb gun.

·
Registered
46 Posts
did you say what you meant?..."That and growing up outside of NYC there wasn't many places to go shooting anyway"

Not many places to shoot outside of NY city?....They would'nt let me into nyc with a pistol so I guess I'll never see the big apple. And there are many many places to shoot in upstate ny.

when I was a kid we shot after school more often than not and my grand-mother could shoot a bumble bee out of the sky with a bb gun.
I remember as a kid in grade school, probably about 6th or 7th grade, we would take our shotguns to school and leave them in the principals office for rabbit hunting after school in the fields around there. How things have changed. And I'm not much older than you.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I grew up on Long Island in Babylon... suburbs... gunshots would get you unwanted attention by the SCPD.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Damn. I wish i was older (currently 25) I grew up with my grandparents. Grandfather (WWII Vet.) had a hand gun in every room and left one on the coffee table at all times He was very paranoid his grandfather was murdered in mexico city shot in back of the head while eating dinner (he played a major role in mexican government from what i was told) to the day my grandfather died he never sat with his back to a window or doorway.

/rant

I was around guns when i was extremely young and was alway told NO stay away from them they are evil yet my father is/was retired SPC. of the army and grandfather was retired military. idk what i am even getting at im just rambling on cause i am bored.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I remember as a kid in grade school, probably about 6th or 7th grade, we would take our shotguns to school and leave them in the principals office for rabbit hunting after school in the fields around there. How things have changed. And I'm not much older than you.
Same here. I'm in my 30's and kids used to get on the bus with a hunting rifle and keep it in their locker so they could go out hunting right after school.

It's funny, it sounds so weird now.

·
Registered
6,382 Posts
There are and were plenty of places to use firearms just north of NYC. Putnam and Dutchess have ample places to shoot. Westchester used to be much better, but there's a couple private ranges and a few public ranges still available.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Never got on a bus with a firearm but I went to a Buffalo public high school. My biology teacher taught us ballistics and about Eric Clapton before school. He also helped me when I got my permit back around 1981.

My parents got me a Remington Nylon 66 and we would go visit mom's family in Lancaster, NY. I could shoot with no real issues. This was back around '74-'76. A few years ago, we drove through that area while visiting and the entire area was built up. Today you can't throw a baseball without worrying about hitting a house or a parked car.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
When I went to high school, a lot of my friends had a gun rack in the back window of their pickup trucks. Always had a shotgun in the rack too. Guess what? NOBODY shot up the school or the students.

·
Registered
876 Posts
When I went to high school, 69-72, we had our own rifle range (5 stations) in the basement of the school. We also had a rifle team from the 40's thru 1975.

·
Registered
438 Posts

Amen, we used to go to school and have our rifles in the back of the truck in the gun rack (clearing freaking visible I might add) so we could go hunting after class let out.
Can you imagine getting anywhere within 12 miles of a school with a freaking hunting rifle these days?

Hell, we had a rifle team, a drill team, etc. at school!

New York City... /shivers Come check out the real NY. It starts about an hour north of Albany.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts