New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
Good find! All that means a lot to me. I'm going to be 71 next week. My father was in the army when I was born. He came back from WW2 OK for one reason & one reason only: The use of the Little Boy & the Fat Man against Imperial Japan. If it weren't for that, I might never have known him & he might never have seen me.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
nice pics we need to return to those days;)

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
Good find! All that means a lot to me. I'm going to be 71 next week. My father was in the army when I was born. He came back from WW2 OK for one reason & one reason only: The use of the Little Boy & the Fat Man against Imperial Japan. If it weren't for that, I might never have known him & he might never have seen me.
You sir need to learn history. Dropping bombs was a show off move to impress Russia, nothing more. A disgusting political and criminal move.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/10/the-real-reason-america-used-nuclear-weapons-against-japan-to-contain-russian-ambitions.html

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
You sir need to learn history. Dropping bombs was a show off move to impress Russia, nothing more. A disgusting political and criminal move.

http://www.washingtonsblog.com/2012/10/the-real-reason-america-used-nuclear-weapons-against-japan-to-contain-russian-ambitions.html
IMO dropping them save lives invading japan would have kill more on both sides

http://fas.org/irp/eprint/arens/chap4.htm

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
The fighting fanaticism demonstrated by Imperial Japan would have taken many, many years to overcome by conventional means. I am pointing to the Kamikazes as the best example of that statement. There would have been millions of casualties on both sides in an invasion & subsequent ground fighting in Japan back then. The use of atomic bombs shocked the criminal element in control of Japan back then into realizing that they had better surrender or there'd be no Japan left. In doing that, they not only made ending WW2 easy for us, but easy for them also, because who was still aiive in Japan then would keep on living.

·
Registered
5,419 Posts
Also after the war Gen macarthur help turn the country around to what it is today.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I like seeing the hallicrafters s36 in the fifth picture. Back when we made our own electronics.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I like this forum so much the members post so many amazing things i wouldn't see on my own. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed seeing such an important part of history.

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
This is one of the reasons why I like this forum so much the members post so many amazing things i wouldn't see on my own. Thanks for sharing I enjoyed seeing such an important part of history.
Parts of the atomic bomb were designed and assembled at GE Schenectady. NYS played a historical role in this whole thing.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
The fighting fanaticism demonstrated by Imperial Japan would have taken many, many years to overcome by conventional means. I am pointing to the Kamikazes as the best example of that statement. There would have been millions of casualties on both sides in an invasion & subsequent ground fighting in Japan back then. The use of atomic bombs shocked the criminal element in control of Japan back then into realizing that they had better surrender or there'd be no Japan left. In doing that, they not only made ending WW2 easy for us, but easy for them also, because who was still aiive in Japan then would keep on living.
From what I have read it took the combined effect of the two atomic bombs and the russian declaration of war to shock the japanese into deciding to surrender. Even at the very end, with their navy essentially wiped out, a minimal air force, all major cities bombed out and the population on the verge of starvation - even with all those facts there was still a fanatical group of army officers that broke into the imperial palace to try and kidnap the emperor to stop him from making the decision to go on the radio to tell the population the war had to end. The fanatics ruled that country for years and it took extreme measures to stop them. If you are familiar with the history of the pacific war at all you know our casualties kept increasing as we got closer to the mainland. Okinawa was an absolute bloodbath for our troops. No one in the army or marines looked forward to invading the mainland. The bombs were a necessary aspect of getting the japanese to surrender. It is a troubling lesson that applies to our current mess. These middle eastern radicals are just as (if not more) fanatical as the japanese. I don't advocate the use of nuclear weapons, but radical islam needs to be slammed good and hard for its adherents to even consider peace.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
Those things look like some sort of joke.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Thanks for sharing.... I'm always a fan of behind the scenes pics from history,

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
GREAT history find! Thanks for sharing!!!
God Bless America, and DAMN anyone who tries to harm Her or Her Citizens!!!

FUAC!!!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts