New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Only the midnight hot was cancelled, it makes sense. This was done at several bases as they drew close to closing/turnover to the Iraqis. It is being politicized far worse than it is actually affecting anyone.

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Only the midnight hot was cancelled, it makes sense. This was done at several bases as they drew close to closing/turnover to the Iraqis. It is being politicized far worse than it is actually affecting anyone.
What I wonder is what chemicals are in these MRE's? Anything harmful? I do not trust the government. I cannot see how they can make something dry to wet with storage life of 3 years without any harmful chemicals. I had an MRE many years ago and it was terrible. I'm glad they improved but still skeptical of our government.

James

·
Registered
5,208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Even if it does sounds worse then it seems there still are men and women over there fighting for us,now if is all right for President to cut are soldiers food supply maybe we should stop all these fancy a$$ dinners they have for Presidential dinners where a dang plates can cost from $5,000 and up for one plate.

It still pisses me off that are soldiers get treated this way no matter what even if they will be coming home soon they still should be fed proper hot meals no matter what until they can come home then they can celebrate having a really good home cooked meal..

Sorry for the rant I am just not happy the way are fighting soldiers get treated..

·
Registered
974 Posts
What I wonder is what chemicals are in these MRE's? Anything harmful? I do not trust the government. I cannot see how they can make something dry to wet with storage life of 3 years without any harmful chemicals. I had an MRE many years ago and it was terrible. I'm glad they improved but still skeptical of our government.

James
I have had to live on them for just a few days in a row a couple of times (which is nothing compared to horror stories of weeks of nothing but MRE's that I have heard) and let me tell you after the first breakfast of beef ravioli all you want to do is go home and have a bowl of cereal...just snapped a quick pic of some that were laying around up here...the beef ravioli and chicken are good but the rib shaped pork? Barf. Hopefully the pic loads...tough to do from the iPad

Attachments

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
Today's MREs are like gourmet meals compared to what we had in the 1980s. It is nothing to get upset about. They all come with a dessert , just no toys.

·
Registered
194 Posts

James
I have a buddy that does ROTC and he brings back a few everytime he has a weekend event. I've eaten a few and some really aren't that bad. then again, if you eat them three times a day everyday...they start to suck hard lol.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
Some MRE's are really good, others are awful... just like my wife's cooking. But I still don't see this story as a big deal... they aren't being denied a meal, they are simply being given an option they don't like.

·
Registered
678 Posts
not really a big deal, hot meals are over rated anyways (especially if Marine cooks are cooking it)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Even if it does sounds worse then it seems there still are men and women over there fighting for us,now if is all right for President to cut are soldiers food supply maybe we should stop all these fancy a$$ dinners they have for Presidential dinners where a dang plates can cost from $5,000 and up for one plate.

It still pisses me off that are soldiers get treated this way no matter what even if they will be coming home soon they still should be fed proper hot meals no matter what until they can come home then they can celebrate having a really good home cooked meal..

Sorry for the rant I am just not happy the way are fighting soldiers get treated..
Nobody is. But when you see a sensationalized piece of urinalism such as this, don't you have to wonder if possibly some of the urinalism you've read in the past has not also fueled your fire?
Even if just 10% of the news regarding the military has an anti-goverment slant, it accounts for 10% of your anger!

Remember, when they were put over there, we had ALL KINDS of money.
-they still couldn't get armor welded to their Hummers to protect against IEDs, though.

My point is, yeah, by all means be pissed at how our troops are treated, but don't ONLY be pissed at the mistreatments associated with a single person or entity, that's all.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
I generally liked MREs. Sure after a month of nothing else I would tire of them but what I found funny abot this story was that I almost always opted for an MRE over field hots. Breakfeast would be boiled reconstituted eggs that often litteraly green, bacon that tasted like burnt cardboard, and mabye a ham slice that was 99% tendons. Dinner would either be nasty dried out chicken or sometimes steak so tough it could stop a bullet. I know that the early MREs had bad reputation but the new ones are actually good!

·
Registered
974 Posts
I generally liked MREs. Sure after a month of nothing else I would tire of them but what I found funny abot this story was that I almost always opted for an MRE over field hots. Breakfeast would be boiled reconstituted eggs that often litteraly green, bacon that tasted like burnt cardboard, and mabye a ham slice that was 99% tendons. Dinner would either be nasty dried out chicken or sometimes steak so tough it could stop a bullet. I know that the early MREs had bad reputation but the new ones are actually good!
I have had hot A's a bunch of times, and I would way prefer them to MRE's, however from the sound of the hot A's you were getting I would probably prefer MRE's!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.