New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This link is to the: US Debt Clock It's a real time representation of, among other things, federal spending. What's cool is that during the shutdown federal spending is actually LESS then revenue...so the DEFICIT is decreasing by about $170,000,000 a day. Why this is deadly to the libs is that the longer the shutdown goes, the more people will see how bloated the government is. The slimdown is just cutting the fat and it's already making a huge difference....

U.S. National Debt Clock : Real Time

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
It looks like a bunch of numbers speeding by so fast I can't even read them.

·
Registered
9,577 Posts
The only problem I have with that first $16 Trillion number is the fact that the debt is actually at $90 Trillion and going strong!! The govt doesn't include unsecured "loans" to their special interests. Basically to them, unsecured means that noone needs to know!!

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I'm probably not going to really understand these numbers and what they mean until the next season of Newsroom. By that time this will have ended and they will have had a year to look at it and what it actually did to our economey. I honestly know so little about the economy is hard for me to grasp.
As far as the shutdown goes my question is this: If we shut down all nonessential things in government... why do we have them to begin with? Who cares if a live feed of Panda's was closed? They didn't even really need to close all the parks did they? I dont think we need the government to hold our hand while using a national park trail? I dont think so.

If were spending less then we are making isnt that a good thing? idk.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
You do realize that if you are driving at 60 MPH that before you can go in reverse you have you decelerate to zero, right?
i'm just responding to the OP:

...so the DEFICIT is decreasing by about $170,000,000 a day.
maybe the rate is slowing down, but the deficit itself is not decreasing, unless i'm missing something.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
yeah, and i swear they said it was staffed by volunteers. maybe my math isn't good (i'm drinking), but i'm pretty sure volunteers are FREE :)
Ahh, thats something someone told me. I don't pay for television service, so i really dont know. But my point is how much of this frivolous stuff could be cut anyway?

·
Registered
156 Posts
hmm, looks to me like the debt is still going up?
The deficit (labeled "US Federal Budget Deficit") is the 1-year difference between revenues and expenses. It is decreasing on the clock. The debt (labeled "US National Debt") is the cumulative total of all prior surpluses and deficits and costs of borrowing. It is still increasing on the clock.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
The deficit (labeled "US Federal Budget Deficit") is the 1-year difference between revenues and expenses. It is decreasing on the clock. The debt (labeled "US National Debt") is the cumulative total of all prior surpluses and deficits and costs of borrowing. It is still increasing on the clock.
Beat me to it. When a politician crows about how the deficit is going down, it just means that the budget for that particular year is slightly less over the actual income than previous years. But it's still over. The cumulative total of all the deficits is the debt.

The years we actually had a surplus we did not have enough of a surplus to even put a 1% dent in the total debt.

·
Registered
1,362 Posts
The whole shutdown is Obama's attempt to make the GOP look bad. While we really didn't need any help in that arena, it's the thought that counts.

·
Registered
3,212 Posts
The fed budget deficit is decreasing not the total debt.

·
Registered
5,416 Posts
Well yea they stopped paying some people.

Also nice avatar pic and name, my dream car is a 1990 Iroc Z28 but ONLY if it has the 5.7L TPI V8.

·
I proposed in my NYFirearms.com t-shirt
1,647 Posts
thanks guys, I now see that the fed budget deficit is decreasing. still doesn't make me all that excited, even now that i'm sober. But it's definitely better than nothing. (until people/programs get back pay)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.