New York Firearms Forum banner
41 - 60 of 143 Posts

· Registered
1,640 Posts
Let us just hope Shooter and the Tresmonds convince a jury to rule for Liberty and the Constitution, thus rendering our concerns moot.

· Registered
3,751 Posts
here's the sweet thing, if the bullet button is legit, then your AR can have any feature.

kind of like an SKS with the original magazine.
actually, now that I think about it, wouldn't the bullet butting basically make the AR basically an SKS (obviously is looks different but same concept). Same idea, because then what makes the SKS legal? You technically can reassemble it without the fixed mag then buy a Tapco mag for it.
The thing is the SKS in it's original configuration cannot detach a magazine unless you disassemble the rifle into in an inoperable state. The bullet button AR can detach a magazine by using a tool in an operable state. No disassemble of the rifle is needed. Since there is no NY definition of what detachable means, you are better off using the MR2 which requires you to disassemble the rifle to an inoperable state before a magazine is detached.

If you really want to be safe against prosecution, the MR2 can be installed with a supplied washer so the magazine cannot be detached unless you use tools and take apart the whole device to detach the magazine much like an SKS.

· Registered
1,787 Posts
The thing is the SKS in it's original configuration cannot detach a magazine unless you disassemble the rifle into in an inoperable state. The bullet button AR can detach a magazine by using a tool in an operable state. No disassemble of the rifle is needed. Since there is no NY definition of what detachable means, you are better off using the MR2 which requires you to disassemble the rifle to an inoperable state before a magazine is detached.
Where in UnSafe does it say that a magazine can only be considered "nondetachable" if "it can be detached only when the firearm is rendered inoperable and disassembled?"

· Registered
97 Posts
I do not think the bullet button is a solution in NY.

22. "Assault weapon" means (a) a semiautomatic rifle that has an ability to accept a detachable magazine and has at least one of the following characteristics:
Ability to accept is what gets us.

When a mag is in the magwell of a bb equipped rifle/pistol, it can not be removed without the use of a tool. You have a fixed mag.

Once the mag is released, with a tool, you still have a semi-auto and it WILL accept a detachable mag.

If you had to press the bb in order for your rifle/pistol to accept a mag I think we would be ok, but you can insert a new mag while the gun is still assembled without the use of a tool, making it a no-go IMO.

I think the MR2 is our best option right now, or using a washer to make a top loader, both if you're really worried.

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
I do not think the bullet button is a solution in NY.

Ability to accept is what gets us.

When a mag is in the magwell of a bb equipped rifle/pistol, it can not be removed without the use of a tool. You have a fixed mag.

Once the mag is released, with a tool, you still have a semi-auto and it WILL accept a detachable mag.

If you had to press the bb in order for your rifle/pistol to accept a mag I think we would be ok, but you can insert a new mag while the gun is still assembled without the use of a tool, making it a no-go IMO.

I think the MR2 is our best option right now, or using a washer to make a top loader, both if you're really worried.
sks can accept certain types of detachable mags modified to fit non -D and -M model rifles.

This logic would render even SKS illegal.

rifles are Legal until someone makes a mag that can be attached without tools or disassembly?

· Registered
3,751 Posts
Where in UnSafe does it say that a magazine can only be considered "nondetachable" if "it can be detached only when the firearm is rendered inoperable and disassembled?"
You are correct. It does not. There is no NYS definition of what detachable is. I am only comparing the MR2 to the millions of rifles with fixed magazines that require disassemble before removing the magazine for repair or cleaning. Those rifles have always been considered to have fixed magazines. A precedent on what was always considered fixed can be argued comparing to older fixed mag rifles of different designs. One can argue in a court of law that the MR2 is no different from any rifle with a fixed magazine produced in existence. The bullet button, not so much. It cannot be compared to any rifle out there with a fixed magazine. Almost all fixed magazine rifles and shotguns in existence require disassemble to remove the magazine.

One can argue in a court of law that a fixed magazine in a shotgun requires it to be disassembled to remove it and proceed to disassemble the shotgun to remove the magazine and show the court. Then one can argue the same with the MR2 and disassemble the AR to remove the magazine and show the court.

· Banned
11,402 Posts
you mentioned assault weapon? nobody here has any assault weapons. Only the military, secret service and other folks.
the definition of assault weapon some politicians and celebrities made up is wrong, misleading and arbitrary.

· Banned
8,394 Posts
Bullet buttons?? Are We in the San Fernando vally?

(Shakes head)

· Registered
1,787 Posts

The mag with the Bullet Button is a "fixed mag," but once it has been detached with the proper tool, it is now magically a "detachable mag?"

If the magazine is rendered by the Bullet Button such that it cannot be readily detached without the use of tools, then the firearm equipped with the Bullet Button and nondetachable mag is NOT accepting a "detachable" mag at that point. The semi-auto weapon is accepting a mag that can ONLY be detached from the weapon BY USING TOOLS TO TAKE IT APART.

There is nothing in the law that says the weapon must be rendered INOPERABLE for the magazine to be considered nondetachable.

· Banned
8,394 Posts
Have a better idea?
Yep.

Im not putting any belly buttons on anything even if I had em .

· Banned
8,394 Posts
California fix or wherever. I don't care. Long as the result is not destroying my gun and not needing to register if it comes to that
And after the next mass shooting ??

· Registered
1,787 Posts
You are correct. It does not. There is no NYS definition of what detachable is. I am only comparing the MR2 to the millions of rifles with fixed magazines that require disassemble before removing the magazine for repair or cleaning. Those rifles have always been considered to have fixed magazines. A precedent on what was always considered fixed can be argued comparing to older fixed mag rifles of different designs. One can argue in a court of law that the MR2 is no different from any rifle with a fixed magazine produced in existence. The bullet button, not so much. It cannot be compared to any rifle out there with a fixed magazine. Almost all fixed magazine rifles and shotguns in existence require disassemble to remove the magazine.

One can argue in a court of law that a fixed magazine in a shotgun requires it to be disassembled to remove it and proceed to disassemble the shotgun to remove the magazine and show the court. Then one can argue the same with the MR2 and disassemble the AR to remove the magazine and show the court.
Firearms technology advances, sometimes slowly, and sometimes in leaps and bounds.

It is not our problem that NYS laws cannot keep up with new firearm technology that makes it easier to remove a magazine from a firearm with the proper tools, versus the "harder" magazines that require more time and energy to do the same thing.

The Bullet Button makes a fixed magazine that cannot be removed by hand. Period, end of story. The fact that it makes it easier for us to service and repair our weapons with the proper tools does not have anything to do with detachable magazines in any way, shape, or form vis-a-vis the UnSafe definition of an assault rifle.

How many screws I have to loosen, or nuts I have to turn, or pins I have to remove, with whatever tools are necessary for the job, to get a magazine out of a weapon, has nothing whatsoever with the definition of an assault rifle in NYS. Nothing.

Arguing in a court about disassembling a rifle to remove a magazine from a gun also has absolutely no bearing on the definition of an assault rifle vis-a-vis UnSafe, as there is NOTHING in the law that requires a gun to be dissembled or made inoperable to be considered a "fixed magazine" type of firearm.

So stop with the disinformation campaign. Disassembly, inoperability, nut and bolts, spends "this much time" removing the mag, "must use these tools to remove mag," so on and so forth, none of that has anything to do with the definition of "assault rifle."

· Banned
11,402 Posts
Dieter is right. A mag screw or button is easy enough to keep them Cuomo ok until we see what happens.
If someone is not going to sleep ok at night why not.

I don't like the idea of any radical changes so that is a good idea but I prefer the leave release.
Two small holes in the receiver that I can cover with two plastic tabs and I keep all my features.
For some others new to the AR the robocop stocks with a nice bull target barrel might be fun.

· Registered
4,366 Posts
When the bill first came out bullet buttons weren't good enough now they are? If it takes a year or more, I don't care, i want this gone.
Just pretend it doesn't exist. It's not legal and we already have a SCOTUS case that invalidates this ****.. so ****'em all.

[edit] I should say we have SEVERAL SCOTUS cases that invalidate it. Obviously, you probably should not broadcast your pellet guns.. hint hint.

41 - 60 of 143 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.