New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Some of the most prolific sentiments many of us feel about guns and the history behind them are expressed excellently in this book. Here is a small part that i thought was worth sharing for those who have not had the pleasure to read it. Please feel free to share with others.

"Pick up a rifle, a pistol, a shotgun, and you're handling a piece of American history. What you hold is not just a finely engineered instrument, but an object that connects you to people who fought for their freedom in the backwoods of Saratoga, New York, died on the rolling hills of Gettysburg, and cornered criminals in the canyons of big cities across the country. Each gun has its own story to tell, its own connection not just to the past, but the American spirit.
Guns are a product of their time. An American long rifle, stock smooth and silky, frame lightweight,barrel long and sleek-The man who made this gun worked in the dim light of a small forge, and chose carefully the wood to use. His fingers went raw as he honed the stock, and the iron of the near by mine stained his hands and the water he used to cool the parts as he finished.
Take the gun up now, and smell the black powder and saltpeter sting the air. Raise the rifle to your shoulder and look into the distance. You see not a target but a whole continent of potential, of great things to come, a promising future...but also toil, trial, and hardship. The firearm in your hands a tool to help you through it."

Chris Kyle~American Gun

:flag:

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
I've read it. The book was very good and I would recommend it.

The way it's written and well researched. Taking the firearm in the chapter, telling the story of a real person using this firearm in the historical period with a background explanation of the events surrounding that time period. I liked that he also talks about the similar firearms who would be contemporary competitors to the firearm being discussed in the chapter. Also, the ideas, engineering and production behind the firearm gives the reader a good perspective.

·
Registered
698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
American Sniper also EXCELLENT~

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.