New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep hearing it on here all the time... "the judge will yank your permit if you do A, B, C or D..."

Well - how often does this really happen? Any stories?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Someone in Broome county was pulled over two times with a gun and no permit. The judge yanked it. We are required to inform police if we are carrying in Broome during a traffic stop or other police interaction.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was his permit yanked for failure to inform? Or for not having the permit on his person while carrying (and informed the officer anyway)?

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
Was his permit yanked for failure to inform? Or for not having the permit on his person while carrying (and informed the officer anyway)?
For carrying and not having the permit on him two times within a year. I'm sure getting pulled over so often did not help.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I would like to ask a question of my Broome County neighbors. I fully understand the need to "inform" if stopped by a police officer (in Broome County) but what about a more casual interaction where you are not detained by an officer but still interacting with one? For example, you witness a motor vehicle accident and you are approached by an officer to tell what you witnessed. Should you inform at this point? My initial reaction would be "better safe than sorry" but is it required in this situation?

Sorry for the hijacking.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I keep hearing it on here all the time... "the judge will yank your permit if you do A, B, C or D..."

Well - how often does this really happen? Any stories?
I think you'll be pretty hard pressed to find anything other than a random story here and there. Judges really do't want to open themselves up to civil rights law suits that would more than likely accompany a permit revocation for anything other than committing a crime.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but I would like to ask a question of my Broome County neighbors. I fully understand the need to "inform" if stopped by a police officer (in Broome County) but what about a more casual interaction where you are not detained by an officer but still interacting with one? For example, you witness a motor vehicle accident and you are approached by an officer to tell what you witnessed. Should you inform at this point? My initial reaction would be "better safe than sorry" but is it required in this situation?

Sorry for the hijacking.
If I were carrying, I didn't see anything! I don't ever want to talk to the cops regardless of the situation. If you willingly talk to the police then your opening your yourself up for questioning and who knows where that leads.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's entire threads to notifying officers if carrying here.

·
Registered
2,445 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think you'll be pretty hard pressed to find anything other than a random story here and there. Judges really do't want to open themselves up to civil rights law suits that would more than likely accompany a permit revocation for anything other than committing a crime.
That's pretty much what I'm thinking... otherwise if it were a widespread practice for issuing judges to yank permits on whim - this place would be littered with stories about it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
Oneida county permits have been revoked for failure to notify change of address. Fact. Firearms (handguns) in question were surrendered to O. C. Sheriff's Dept. I subsequently took possession of them. Strange but in only three weeks, a customs leather case with one handgun somehow disappeared from property.

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
Oneida county permits have been revoked for failure to notify change of address. Fact. Firearms (handguns) in question were surrendered to O. C. Sheriff's Dept. I subsequently took possession of them. Strange but in only three weeks, a customs leather case with one handgun somehow disappeared from property.
Gonna need proof of the WHOLE story behind them

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
When the guns were surrendered was there a receipt of some sort given?

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Boating accidents, happen all the time!

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts

Sorry for the hijacking.
Answer would be NO! Keep your mouth shut. Only time is when you are involved in a traffic violation or where you were involved in an incident that would require you to relinquish that information. If your a witness in an accident or seen something and you have to speak to an officer, you have no duty to inform him but if he asks you must notify him that you are carrying.

I have talked to police officers when carrying and I do not say squat. IF you feel that you have to, that may open doors that do not need to be opened if you know what I mean. Some cops don't care and some do. Do you really want to have a conversation about legally carrying when the officer's viewpoint is that citizens should not be allowed to carry? Scary yes, but their is officers out there who think this way. Luckily enough they are not members here.

James

·
Formerly SRV1
4,720 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the notify rule be in violation of the fifth amendment?
No because you have not committed a crime therefor you are not incriminating yourself if you are legally carrying.

James

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't the notify rule be in violation of the fifth amendment?
At one point courts said that felons didnt have to notify police of firearms they had because of 5th amendment but I think that ruling is gone now.

Either way though if you are carrying legally and the judge says you must inform LEO's you are carrying when stopped it would not violate 5th amendment because your not incriminating yourself by doing so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts