New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 667 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

As the title states; I have recently submitted my application for a Premise Pistol Permit. The whole process seems excessive and unnecessarily expensive... not to mention a bit insulting. I was particularly tickled as I checked a box that put me in the same category as those arrested, convicted or indicted; for getting a seatbeat ticket. I digress; I am sure you guys have heard this all before.

What I was wondering; will the entire process really take 6-8 MONTHES? I work for the city... so I am fully aware of the bureaucracy it is capable of. I hope not. I read a thread, on this site, from 2011. Someone claimed he finished the process within 8 weeks. He was a queens boy, too... similar situation to mine.

I am pretty sure I already know the answers I will be getting... but a guy can hope; can't he?

Anyway thanks for your time, guys... this is my first... of (I am sure) many posts here,

longshot

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome! Assuming because you work for the city that moving is not an option. Best of luck.
I suppose I chould... and I am willing to... but the commute is what needs consdering. I work for Housing... Spending everyday in the projects... makes you wish NYC citizens could get a Full Carry...

·
Registered
262 Posts
Congrats on applying for you license. 6-8 months is how long most others have been taking. So no good news for you there.
You can get a concealed carry in NYC you just need to know someone, be super rich (celebrity) or provide an even more ridiculous amount of paperwork than the regular application and then show up at 1 PP with your lawyer. If you go with option 3 you might get the license.

Good luck with your application. Let us know who your IO is when you get your interview letter.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Congrats on applying for you license. 6-8 months is how long most others have been taking. So no good news for you there.
You can get a concealed carry in NYC you just need to know someone, be super rich (celebrity) or provide an even more ridiculous amount of paperwork than the regular application and then show up at 1 PP with your lawyer. If you go with option 3 you might get the license.

Good luck with your application. Let us know who your IO is when you get your interview letter.
Wait.... are you saying it IS possible to get a concealed carry in nyc? I was under the impression it was impossible for the avarage joe to get one, here.

Thanks for the info, by the way... I was prepared for a good 8 month wait.

I filed at the Rilfe/Shotgun office and as of this morning 1 PP has yet to even recieve my application. Oh well... in it for the long haul, I guess.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
My take on the NYC process is that it is sort of an unknown at this time. Fortunately we're unloading Bloomturd. The problem as I see it is, is NYC jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire with DiBlasio? Who knows? My understanding is that DiBlasio could possibly be even worse than the turd. Again, who knows at this juncture?

Best of luck with the process. BTW, I was under the impression that traffic violations didn't need to be reported on the application. Only criminal offenses. I could be wrong though, it's been 26 years since I applied and received my permit.

·
Registered
262 Posts
It is possible for the average joe to concealed carry but it is highly unlikely. There are approximately 37k ccw permits issued in nyc. I am thinking about applying for a carry license. I will be lawyering up if I do.

Rifle/shotgun licenses were taking 4 months last i checked. But call them after 3 because i think they sit there for a while after being approved. Just be polite.

You need to list any moving violation you have gotten that will show up on your driving abstaact. Seat belt tickets included. Parking tickets do not need to be reported.

And with the new mayor coming in who knows what is going to happen. The whole process getting any better is highly doubtful

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Let us know who your IO is when you get your interview letter.
lol...

do you guys know enough of the investigators... that you can help me with individual ones? Looks like a joined the right forum.

·
Registered
262 Posts
They all pretty much ask the same questions on the interview. Nycguns website has a list of the questions they ask.

·
Registered
274 Posts
welcome aboard and good luck w/ your process. IIRC a while ago there was a poster who was a city worker and got turned around in a very short period of time (like 2 weeks to interview, 2 weeks to approval) I'm too lazy to go looking for it now - but I'm sure depending what branch of the city you work for could be a plus.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
welcome aboard and good luck w/ your process. IIRC a while ago there was a poster who was a city worker and got turned around in a very short period of time (like 2 weeks to interview, 2 weeks to approval) I'm too lazy to go looking for it now - but I'm sure depending what branch of the city you work for could be a plus.
Oh... ha... no no... I work for the housing authority... I will be waiting the normal amount of time.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Took me just under 4 months when I did it a year and a half ago. I'm a city employee (DOE) but I'm sure that doesn't affect the timeline at all. Good luck.

Ryan
Haha... there is a good chamce being a city worker... makes it longer! Thanks though... if Ii could wrap it up in four months... I would count myself lucky... hell... if I get it without a hitch I will be lucky... or am I over thinking it? And worrying too much?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Haha... there is a good chamce being a city worker... makes it longer! Thanks though... if Ii could wrap it up in four months... I would count myself lucky... hell... if I get it without a hitch I will be lucky... or am I over thinking it? And worrying too much?
nope. have a clean criminal / MH record, proof of citizenship & residence, a way to prove you have some source of income, time & money and you are good to go. I did mine with two traffic stops (bad left turns, damn you thru-streets!) speeding ticket in western NY from 2008 listed and had absolutely no problem. It's actually somehow ironic that NYC has seemingly become one of the faster places in the state to get a pistol permit (yes, I realize it's heavily restricted)

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
welcome aboard.

I have a NYS CC permit currently and have been debating applying in NYC as well. I wonder if it helps to a have state issued permit when applying for the NYC permit.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
welcome aboard.

I have a NYS CC permit currently and have been debating applying in NYC as well. I wonder if it helps to a have state issued permit when applying for the NYC permit.
Why waste your money? You have ZERO chance of getting a NYC permit. It is no different than applying to a different county upstate from where you live....you can't. You can only possess one NYS permit and it MUST be in the county you live.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Why waste your money? You have ZERO chance of getting a NYC permit. It is no different than applying to a different county upstate from where you live....you can't. You can only possess one NYS permit and it MUST be in the county you live.
Actually, this is not fully true. People who live outside the city in NYS and can show a valid reason to have a "special carry" license for NYC (eg, have a business in the City) and can make it through the maze of NYC licensing are able to obtain a NYC CC permit. And lets assume you have the connections/money whatever to do so it is very possible. I know at least one person personally that has this and I believe there are one or two folks that post here that have the same type of permit and live outside of the city. A permit elsewhere in the state would also be a per-requisite for application. Keep in mind that NYC doesn't seem to care about NYS lawns so indeed you would have two permits. There are also limited business carry permits that work the same way. NYC licensing is it's own "special" little world.

Not looking for any kind of arguement - just pointing out that NYC seemingly makes up the rules regardless of what the state mandates.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Hello MasterSwimmer,

There is hope, you are incorrect. Many many business people have special carry permits - most of them (the people I know) do not have a residence within the 5 boroughs. I also know of jewelers from Long Island, CT and NJ who have NYC special carry permits. The NJ gent has no NJ carry permit, but has a business carry for NYC. Every night the gun goes in the safe at his facility in NY.

When I last had commercial space downstate, one of the tenants in that complex had a laundry mat there, and a check-cashing place in the city. He had a Larchmont address with a Westchester Co unrestricted permit, and a separate NYC business carry permit. He was fighting with both Westchester County and NYC to allow him to carry in the city on his WC permit (that would have meant fully unrestricted in/out of NYC).

There is at least one forum member here (if he wants to speak of it) that has an upstate address/upstate permit and a NYC address /NYC premise permit.

LHT

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hi Longshot! And congrats on taking the plunge! I am from Queens as well, and submitted my application for my residential premises permit on August 21st. Almost exactly a month later I received the letter about setting up my interview. My IO was Officer O. He was super cool. My interview date was Oct 8th so I'm just about at the 2 month post-interview mark. Here's what I had to bring with me to the interview:

A copy of my 2012 1040 tax return (I'm self employed)
2 pictures of the outside of my home
Signed and notarized affidavits from everyone in my home saying they were ok with me having a gun in the house, and copies of their driver licenses (yes, even though I initially submitted the affidavits with my application, they make you do it all over again)
3 notarized reference letters (they have to be typed)
A copy of my birth certificate
A copy of my SS card
A current utility bill in my name (Con Ed, Cable or Phone only)
A notarized statement stating that I understand Penal Laws 35, 265 and 400.

I did not have to bring a DMV abstract with me, but I went ahead in advance and ordered a copy anyways. Mine was blank as both my speeding tickets were almost 20 years ago.

Oh, and you have to bring copies of EVERYTHING they request for your interview. Your IO will get the copies, you keep the originals.

Since I'm about 2 months post-interview, I will probably touch base with my IO next week to get an update. Overall I'm a little over the 3 month mark, so hopefully I'm half way there. I found everyone at 1pp the day I went to be pleasant. Just be polite, and you should have no problem. My IO also told me at the end of the interview that I was approved. The interview itself was pretty straight forward. We discussed why I wanted a permit (home protection, target shooting) and we went over various scenarios where it would be appropriate to use lethal force. I'm sure you'll do fine! If the timeline is still the same, you should have your interview letter in a few short weeks. Hopefully by months end! Keep us posted!

Scott

1 - 20 of 667 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.