New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

· Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry if this is a repost, please delete if it is.

There is alot of talk about NYS law being 6 months or less for a pistol permit. I found this story and thought its about time that the people start standing up to these counties.

"MINEOLA — Lawyers on behalf of three Nassau residents filed a lawsuit against Police Commissioner Thomas Dale that claims the issuing of their clients' gun licenses is taking longer than the sixth-month period that is in accordance with New York State law. Lawsuit attorney James Murtha said Commissioner Dale blames the year-and-a-half delay on 600 yearly applications for licenses that are checked by 12 Nassau police staff members instead of 27. In a letter to the law firm, Dale said that it is not possible to review all the applications within the cited statutory time limit."

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
In a letter to the law firm, Dale said that it is not possible to review all the applications within the cited statutory time limit.

Then you either: Get more people working on them, or break the law and face the consequences. If I broke the law and had a court date I could not just say "Well it's not really possible to be there that day, I'll be juggling teacups".

· Registered
2,130 Posts
What a joke.... Just because he's the commissioner doesn't mean that he is allowed to decide that he can ignore the penal code of the state. Hire more people. I can see a lot of people filing lawsuits against the state soon.

· Registered
13,297 Posts
Hmm, 600 apps per year is 12 apps per week on average; 12 officers means 1 each per week. So the officers can't handle 1 application per week? Maybe the problem is they need to hire more productive people.

BTW don't take this as a knock against the LEO, just my take on the plausibility of the response...

· Registered
2,028 Posts
Hmm, 600 apps per year is 12 apps per week on average; 12 officers means 1 each per week. So the officers can't handle 1 application per week? Maybe the problem is they need to hire more productive people.

BTW don't take this as a knock against the LEO, just my take on the plausibility of the response...
True.... they should be able to do it no problem at 1 application per week.

They can sue my county too.... its been more than 8 months now. :)

· Registered
167 Posts
Good.

Keep pounding our state legislators with lawsuits after lawsuits after lawsuits. Lay siege to the courts. Pick them apart county by county. They'll buckle eventually, no matter how corrupt the politicians are and how slimy their lawyers operate. We'll drag them there, kicking and screaming.

· Registered
562 Posts
Mine took about 5 months but I still think that is far too long. I have no criminal history, I don't even have a moving violation on my driving abstract. I just find it totally rediculos that as an honest law abiding citizen with absolutely no criminal history I had to pay an unfair ammount of money, get my fingerprints taken like a criminal, and wait an unfair ammount of time just to exercise my 2a RIGHT (well legally anyway). The only part about the whole process that I saw as reasonable was the safety course. (was about 3.5 hours IIRC) a safety course is understandable bc a handgun is a new world to a lot of people, some people with 0 firearms experience apply for their permit.

· I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,805 Posts
Like I have said in another thread if people are willing to share the relevant facts with me and want to fight something and I believe its rights even if I dont think they will win I am willing to donate money for the lawyer. This should be a simple case to win as long as they have a decent lawyer and the judge is fair and impartial.

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
If I broke the law and had a court date I could not just say "Well it's not really possible to be there that day, I'll be juggling teacups". [/COLOR]
Well at least your not juggling tea bags.

James

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Good.

Keep pounding our state legislators with lawsuits after lawsuits after lawsuits. Lay siege to the courts. Pick them apart county by county. They'll buckle eventually, no matter how corrupt the politicians are and how slimy their lawyers operate. We'll drag them there, kicking and screaming.
As much as I agree with you, the average Joe/Jane does not have the time or the money to fight it. NYS knows this and that is why they can get away with it for the most part.

JAmes

· Registered
1,051 Posts
We've got one lady handling 35-60 apps a WEEK out here in Catt County. This is a ****ing copout by an anti-gun county.

· Registered
2,689 Posts
Reminds me a bit of the movements among young people to start getting certain rights earlier, voting, driving, etc. They all eventually grow out of the movement. This is sort of the same thing. You are really motivated on it while you are waiting for your permit, then when it comes in you kind of forget about it. So there is never enough of a base to really get anything done.

Not to mention the fear of "rocking the boat" before or after getting the permit, in this state.

· Registered
79 Posts
We've got one lady handling 35-60 apps a WEEK out here in Catt County. This is a ****ing copout by an anti-gun county.
It's worse than that. It's the county deliberately making the process as hard and as lengthy as the law allows - and then beyond what the law allows! - while deliberately understaffing and, likely, having an unofficial 'go slow' policy in the permits office. Nassau is a hole.

· Postmaster General
23,190 Posts
Reminds me a bit of the movements among young people to start getting certain rights earlier, voting, driving, etc. They all eventually grow out of the movement. This is sort of the same thing. You are really motivated on it while you are waiting for your permit, then when it comes in you kind of forget about it. So there is never enough of a base to really get anything done.

Not to mention the fear of "rocking the boat" before or after getting the permit, in this state.
This is not true for everyone. I still DESPISE the 21 drinking age and actively try and change it, and the same for permits.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.