New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

· Registered
2,169 Posts
Looks like a shooter to me, the best kind of gun.

· Registered
3,453 Posts
Not bad!! I'd say you made out very well on this. Wood doesn't look terrible and can always be spiffed up very easily. I recommend birchwood Casey tru oil. Just keep coating it until you get the desired tint.

Nice get!! Looks like a early model arsenal 26 far as I can tell, but you already knew that ;)Definitely a shooter!

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I won't have time to clean all that cosmoline off any time soon... headed out of town for a week.

I did order an original Chinese SKS sling for $8.50 and an SKS cleaning kit for $6.50 since mine didn't come with those.

still need to find some decent stripper clips.

· Registered
5,426 Posts
stripper clips are easy to find, Ebay them, seriously, even the 50 cent ones worked for me

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here's some original Chinese, but the only ones in stock are $3 each. Youch.

Stripper Clips - RCArms
Yeah, that's nuts. I found these, 20 for $6 but some people have trouble with them. Aim Sports AK-47/SKS Stripper Clip (20pcs/Pack): MSP Scope Mounts

stripper clips are easy to find, Ebay them, seriously, even the 50 cent ones worked for me
From what I've read, seems like it's hit or miss whether aftermarket stripper clips work, I have no idea what the determining factor is. I may as well just order some, and hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones. I've also read they can be "adjusted" in various ways to make them work.

not bad

just make sure it cycles right. ive had chinese ones not cycle right from parts poorly fitted ...some of those are REALLY beat on hard.

i say clean her up and shoot the snot out of it
The early SKS's are supposed to be pretty high quality as they were used by the military, it's the late ones (I'm guessing 80's Norinco's with stamped parts, for example) that would be a problem.
In any case, I will be sure I strip it completely including removing the firing pin so I can get all the cosmoline out. Don't want to start out with slamfires.
:)

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
How was this company to deal with? I'm thinking of getting two rifles from them. Nice SKS!

James
Classic Firearms doesn't have any left in stock. They apparently got them from Century Arms, but to buy from Century Arms you need an FFL. Or you could get your LGS to get one for you, but the SKS's from Century are advertised as u-fix-ems (possible missing parts, broken stocks, etc.), so it's the luck of the draw what you get. You take your chances when you are spending well under $200 each, which is why they order multiples.

I think in my case, Classic Firearms bought some of the better u-fix-ems that just had beat up stocks, and then re-sold them to the public.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
c
I won't have time to clean all that cosmoline off any time soon... headed out of town for a week.

I did order an original Chinese SKS sling for $8.50 and an SKS cleaning kit for $6.50 since mine didn't come with those.

still need to find some decent stripper clips.
I've bought a lot of stripper clips that did not work with my Russian, but these have been perfect. Do yourself a favor, and get the 100 pack.

SKS Accessories

Then buy some bandoliers.

Amazon.com: sks bandolier

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not bad!! I'd say you made out very well on this. Wood doesn't look terrible and can always be spiffed up very easily. I recommend birchwood Casey tru oil. Just keep coating it until you get the desired tint.

Nice get!! Looks like a early model arsenal 26 far as I can tell, but you already knew that ;)Definitely a shooter!
Yeah, full serial number starts with a 3 which makes it a '59. Where do they sell that oil? Any chain-type stores?

c

I've bought a lot of stripper clips that did not work with my Russian, but these have been perfect. Do yourself a favor, and get the 100 pack.

SKS Accessories

Then buy some bandoliers.

Amazon.com: sks bandolier
Those stripper clips are a different color,and while they are more expensive, I read something about the dark clips being difficult to use, so these would be worth trying if they actually work well. Thanks.

You read my mind about the bandoliers. I've been looking at those. ;)

· Premium Member
4,405 Posts
Yeah, that's nuts. I found these, 20 for $6 but some people have trouble with them. Aim Sports AK-47/SKS Stripper Clip (20pcs/Pack): MSP Scope Mounts

From what I've read, seems like it's hit or miss whether aftermarket stripper clips work, I have no idea what the determining factor is. I may as well just order some, and hope I'm not one of the unlucky ones. I've also read they can be "adjusted" in various ways to make them work.

The early SKS's are supposed to be pretty high quality as they were used by the military, it's the late ones (I'm guessing 80's Norinco's with stamped parts, for example) that would be a problem.
In any case, I will be sure I strip it completely including removing the firing pin so I can get all the cosmoline out. Don't want to start out with slamfires.
:)
The one I had with issues was a 1968 mfg military one.. But ya be sure to get cosmo out the firing pin channel. Potentially dangerous otherwise of course

· Formerly SRV1
4,726 Posts
Classic Firearms doesn't have any left in stock. They apparently got them from Century Arms, but to buy from Century Arms you need an FFL. Or you could get your LGS to get one for you, but the SKS's from Century are advertised as u-fix-ems (possible missing parts, broken stocks, etc.), so it's the luck of the draw what you get. You take your chances when you are spending well under $200 each, which is why they order multiples.

I think in my case, Classic Firearms bought some of the better u-fix-ems that just had beat up stocks, and then re-sold them to the public.
Looking to pick up a M44 and a Yugo M48.

James

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Looking to pick up a M44 and a Yugo M48.

James
I was thinking of getting a Mosin-Nagant from them, but was worried about the kick as I have a bum shoulder because of a dislocation a few years back.

The purchase from Classic Firearms went very smoothly. It took about a week for them to ship it out as they are backlogged, but as soon as it shipped on Monday, the tracking number let me know it would be here by end of day Wednesday. The only problem I had was that the LGS I used didn't have Classic's FFL on file even though the LGS was on Classic's list of pre-approved LGS FFL's, so the LGS couldn't release the rifle to me until Classic faxed over their FFL. Classic hadn't included a copy of their FFL with the SKS and also someone elses shotgun that they had sent at the same time.

I called my son at home and had him email Classic to tell them the LGS needed their FFL and they faxed it over within 10 minutes.

· Registered
1,840 Posts
Yeah, full serial number starts with a 3 which makes it a '59. Where do they sell that oil? Any chain-type stores?

Those stripper clips are a different color,and while they are more expensive, I read something about the dark clips being difficult to use, so these would be worth trying if they actually work well. Thanks.

You read my mind about the bandoliers. I've been looking at those. ;)
Exactly, the Black Shiny clips are too thick to fit into the guide.

You will still have to adjust these here or there, but for the most part they work great.

Bandoliers are a must if you want to go afield, and have your hands free.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
you did great, nice genuine, real deal military issue firearm! I got some nice stripper clips from Centerfire Systems. just give the rifle some TLC. if you want it to maintain collector value, don't mess with it too much. the sling and cleaning kit are good calls. nice acquisition man, happy for [email protected]@

EDIT: some of my stripper clips are the "black shiny" ones and they work fine.

· Registered
1,267 Posts
Just a further 2 cents if I may re the stock; if I might suggest a way to deal with your stock. try using Boiled Linseed oil. it's a more subtle wood enhancing treatment. see my thread here: http://www.nyfirearms.com/forums/rifles/46067-oiled-up-german-girl.html .

it's a way to treat a dry stock without messing with the historical value of the firearm. and, if you're thinking "ah, it's just a $300 Chinese SKS", well, I am sure all the bubbas that molested k98 Mausers since the end of WWII wish they could correct their mistakes if they could have seen today's prices and demand. just food for thought. :)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.