New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are many gun control laws in the United States, and people have lots of constitutional arguments for or against them. But which of those laws actually (1) substantially interfere, as a practical matter, with self-defense, and yet are (2) practically vulnerable? Bans on so-called assault weapons, for instance, strike me as unwise, but they don't themselves practically interfere with self-defense in a substantial way: people remain free to have guns that are just as effective for self-defense. Bans on gun possession by people who have recent violent felony convictions do practically affect lots of people, but they will pretty clearly be upheld, given the language on the subject in D.C. v. Heller.

In this post, I want to avoid both these categories - the restrictions that, for all their pluses or minuses, don't much interfere with self defense, and the restrictions that are pretty clearly constitutional under current caselaw - and then look at the most practically significant of the remaining laws. Here is a list that I came up with.

The 10 most practically significant - yet potentially legally vulnerable - restrictions on availability of guns for self-defense - The Washington Post

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
#11. The New York State pistol permit process which varies from county to county

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
"but they don’t themselves practically interfere with self-defense in a substantial way"

I 100% disagree.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
What exactly is this list trying to do or prove?

Bad laws? Good laws? I can't really get the "point" of this law...

·
Registered
2,650 Posts
What exactly is this list trying to do or prove?

Bad laws? Good laws? I can't really get the "point" of this law...
Um, the title kind of says what the list is - the categories of laws which EV feels are legally vulnerable at this point in time based on the current state of gun laws. This was written by a law professor who is generally pro-2A.

·
Registered
735 Posts
...a ban on open carry of handguns in public.....

What is the point of this post? Are you on the side of the gun-grabbers? I believe ANY restriction on the tools that we can use is a significant restriction that is a BIG problem. We should be able to own all the tools that our military has. Nukes may be the single exception.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts