New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm lying in bed and alarm goes off as if someone came in through one of the entrance doors, with delay as opposed to instant such as a window, etc. I immediately got out of bed and shut the alarm down, THEN went and grabbed my gun out of the small safe in the closet. FAIL. It turns out that the back up battery is low and probably needs to be replaced. No intruder.

In hindsight should have definitely gone for the gun first without worrying about the alarm. Need to work on this. Just a reminder boys, stay vigilant and have a plan.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yea, that's happened to me as well, the low battery part anyways. Lol

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Back up battery for safe or alarm?
It is good though that you learn this now. It might be a good investment to just change all your batteries every 2 months or so including smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors if you have them.

Here is an idea for you and others. If you get some IP cameras for house that covers door, maybe windows and stairs going upstairs you could hook up a computer to your T.V. in your bedroom (assuming T.V. can be hooked up to computer). That way if your watching T.V. and you get an alarm while in bed you can use remote and switch to your computer which could already have your cameras being displayed and will know instantly if its friend or foe that set off alarm.

·
Registered
12,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Alarm. It's like a motorcycle battery and hasn't been replaced since alarm was installed in 2007. Good thing is the alarm system tells you when its low.... Agree that they should be on a plan along with smoke detectors, etc. I'm not great about that either. As far as video, I like the idea of having it, but the time it would take to turn TV on, switch to video app, turn computer on etc, would be way more than going for the gun. If it had been a real emergency, after getting gun I would have been in the hallway heading a b-line to my son's room and making sure he was secure. No time for video. I could be wrong, though.

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
You just leave the computer on 24/7 so you just have to turn on tv and hit the aux button to view computer and can already have cameras up. That way if someone does break in atleast you know when they are coming towards your family so you can intervene in the safest way possible.
Ok to try and sell you on the video idea lol imagine this.

You and your wife are asleep and your alarm goes off. Your wife could turn on tv with remote and hit the button to view camera which would already be viewable because you will leave your computer on. While your wife is doing that you could be getting your gun. Then you could glance at cameras before running to grab your son and your wife could be calling 911. Then you retreat with your son back to your room and you can view your hallway and stairs from your bedroom so you can be prepared if the intruder comes towards your door where you and your family are.

But yea, it can be tough to remember to change all the batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,398 Posts
my cats run into my bedroom door hard when they fight and scare the **** out of me from time to time haha....

good to hear this was only a mistake/low batt. Always interesting to see how one responds and how to better react. Isnt a bad thing that we are tested from time to time. Allows us to improve for the time that may come and we need to respond.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts