New York Firearms Forum banner

Terminal Effectiveness Of FMJ Vs. JHP

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  ScotchMan 
#1 ·
#2 ·
9mm HP seemed to transfer the most damage to the target in the shortest space, even more so then .45, maybe bigger isnt always better. That might give new light into the "might as well get a .45" train of thought in dealing with the SAFE Act bull**** for NYers, if you don't want to skimp on buying a compact with a 15 round capacity just to load 7, maybe you can get a very comfortable slimframe 9mm with a standard cap of 10 or less and make good use of it?

#3 ·
9mm HP seemed to transfer the most damage to the target in the shortest space, even more so then .45, maybe bigger isnt always better.
Key phrase ''not always''.

What I really enjoy watching are test videos by TNOUTDOORS9. That guy has done hundreds of videos containing ballistics gel tests with various types of pistols and ammunition. Sometimes the 9mm does more damage, but I'd have to say on whole, .45 does more damage. I currently EDC (more like a couple times a week lol) a 9mm... But once I gather up some funding I'll purchase a compact .45 to carry.

Pretty impressed with Hornadys Critical Duty in 9mm (+P).

9mm +P Hornady CRITICAL DUTY Ammo Gel Test - YouTube

#5 ·
I always default to the most critical component of this equation- the bullet which hits the appropriate a anatomic part regardless of construction is what will end a fight!
Yes a modern hp has the potential to create more damage but only if it hits the right spot

#6 ·
Energy transfer and/or penetration won't stop a fight. Destroying a bunch of tissue isn't going to stop a fight. Creating big holes for blood to leak out of will stop a fight an hour after it has ended via other means. That is why you read about people getting shot, getting away, and then being found dead later; it takes a long time to die of blood loss.

Hitting the CNS or another critical area will stop a fight. CNS is an instant stop. Lungs, major blood vessels, pelvic kirdle, etc, can stop the fight "fast enough" depending on the specifics, but you are still looking at multiple seconds or minutes in some cases.

As long as your bullet has enough penetration to reach critical areas, it is sufficient. Hollowpoints and larger calibers just give you a margin of error if your shot placement isn't perfect. Hollowpoints also give you the benefit of the round usually staying in the target, which is good for liability reasons.

Handgun caliber comparisons are therefore largely a waste of time. .380 hollowpoints don't penetrate enough so we use FMJ. 9mm and up, use whatever premium hollowpoints you like. It is far more important to get good hits on target quickly than it is to stress over what round you're carrying.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.