New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
Something sounds oddly wierd about this story. Was he keeping his giant stash of oily rags next to his ammo? Love the fact that it prominently says AR-15.

"“There was maybe an accidental discharge of the weapon from there we haven’t really determined how the fire started but that is what State Bomb and Arson officials are looking into.”

Love how the title would have you believe that its all been concluded what happens, when it would seem later in the article that they really dont have any idea atm.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Am I the only one left wondering how the room "exploded"? When I started keeping a small amount of ammo in my home, I did some research, and rounds that cook off do not go off as if they were chambered. They pop, often not with all the powder, and the casing and bullet (or hull/shot) fly apart at low velocity.

If I recall, it was NSSF who helped in this study for the benefit of firemen learning the risks of fighting a gun store fire.

Also, I've never seen a round start a fire. This isn't the movies. Something seems strange here...

Edit: And furthermore, if you discharge a gun showing it to your friends (yes, let's assume he's very stupid), do you dismiss your adult friends, and then ask your young son to help quell a fire?

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Nothing like firing a bullet from a firearm - simple physics: equal and opposite reaction. When a bullet is heated to the point the powder ignites, I believe the casing actually attains more velocity that the bullet (larger mass....objects at rest tend to stay at rest, etc). Google the Mythbuster site for more info.

·
Registered
715 Posts
Wow, yesterday I watched a youtube video by SAAMI on ammo and accidental discharge, fire, and other "accidental" ways rounds may "go off".

SAAMI - Sporting Ammunition and the Fire Fighter - YouTube

Although it is 25 minutes, it was interesting. They shot into a full case of rounds and also shells and no explosion. Run them over with a bulldozer, no explosion. Put a few HUNDRED thousand rounds in a tractor trailer, set it ablaze and watch the fireworks. Actual firefighters walked up to the trailer with the rounds cooking off and nothing but some small "hits" from the rounds popping, never penetrated any of his gear. Great video. Just don't have one in a chamber of a gun and there is little risk.

Also, youtube has a MYTHBUSTER vid on ammo in a campfire as well. Same result, not likely to be fatal, but not a good idea either. There has to be more to this than I know.

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
Maybe he accidently shot into some premixed tannerite that was in a box of 75 pounds of loose black powder.? :mad:

·
Registered
543 Posts
So an idiot trying to be cool for his friends chambered a live round in his ar-15 and in the act of being cool fired the weapon starting a fire, killing his innocent son.

So where were all the friends he was showing his rifle of to? Did they just run away.

Doesn't reall add up, unless he reloads and had powder sitting out. Just makes no sense

·
Registered
8,557 Posts
So an idiot trying to be cool for his friends chambered a live round in his ar-15 and in the act of being cool fired the weapon starting a fire, killing his innocent son.

So where were all the friends he was showing his rifle of to? Did they just run away.

Doesn't reall add up, unless he reloads and had powder sitting out. Just makes no sense
the story is fishy to say the least.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
That is one Liberal Rag with a coven of libtard comments attached to it.

"Boasting an average 2.5 million readers per month (2013),[3] the site is described by Newsweek as, "Muck, raked: If you're looking for alleged GOP malfeasance, the folks at rawstory.com are frequently scooping the mainstream media."[4] It was referred to as a "liberal blog" by Howard Kurtz in 2005".

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
The comments under the article concern me more than the content of the article itself.
The comments wound up sickening me, once again let the actions of one determine the fate of the many. Just the sheer ignorance displayed by those commenting, I really should have saved myself the heartburn.

I only hope that they never wind up in a position where they regret their misguided philosophies.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Wow, yesterday I watched a youtube video by SAAMI on ammo and accidental discharge, fire, and other "accidental" ways rounds may "go off".

Although it is 25 minutes, it was interesting. They shot into a full case of rounds and also shells and no explosion. Run them over with a bulldozer, no explosion. Put a few HUNDRED thousand rounds in a tractor trailer, set it ablaze and watch the fireworks. Actual firefighters walked up to the trailer with the rounds cooking off and nothing but some small "hits" from the rounds popping, never penetrated any of his gear. Great video. Just don't have one in a chamber of a gun and there is little risk.

Also, youtube has a MYTHBUSTER vid on ammo in a campfire as well. Same result, not likely to be fatal, but not a good idea either. There has to be more to this than I know.
Hard to watch so much ammo destroyed, but very interesting results. Makes me question the story in the original link even more. Hopefully more information will be coming out of it.

·
Registered
2,966 Posts

This. There is no way the ammo exploded.

The comments on the bottom are sickening.

"This happens so often. Kids are dying daily along with plenty of adults of course. Silly fools these weapon stockpilers are. Shame on the father, may he be remember as another dumbass."

"The AR-15 "accidentally discharged"? Sounds like an unreliable gun that should be taken off the market."

"Why. in 2013, is an 18th century second amendment allowed to be interpreted as "The right of ignorant fools to keep and possess all the advanced firepower they can get their hands on shall not be abridged no matter how many innocent lives are lost"?
The whole country has been hijacked by fools. That kid's right to life, liberty and pursuit of happiness was forfeited to idiocy."

·
Registered
4,101 Posts
The comments under the article concern me more than the content of the article itself.
With no understanding of the science involved, or even a basic understanding of firearm operation, we can be sure all the people commenting consider themselves the intellectual elite of the country. It's amazing that us second amendment supporters can even figure out how to get out of bed in the morning.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.