New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I'm extremely new here and also to shooting in general, and I have a quick question about whether or not I can buy a rifle here in NY state. I am technically a MA resident (thats where my driver's license was issued) but I reside in NY state, specifically Syracuse, where I am a student and rent an apartment (my name is on the lease). To make a long story short, my roommate and good friend is licensed in MA to own rifles and shotguns and plans on joining a club here in Syracuse to shoot during the summer. I just submitted the paperwork to get my MA FID card as well about a week ago. However, this process could take a couple months and I was wondering if I could just buy a rifle in NY state without the MA FID card since i am currently living in the state. I have no intention of bringing it back to MA for the next two years at least, which is more than enough time for the paperwork for my FID card to go through. Thanks in advance for the help, it is much appreciated.

·
Premium Member
10,553 Posts
Tough one.

Federal law says that a non-resident can buy a long gun from a dealer in NY state as long as the gun is legal in both NY and your state of residence.

Although the gun may be legal in MA, it's not legal for you to own in MA without a MA FID card. Not sure if that makes it OK or not OK to buy here. You're going to have a tough time finding a dealer that will sell to you even if it's legal to do so.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
not the answer that you wanna hear , but legal firearms answers tend to be that way

title 129 b and c would answer this easily for you

No person shall sell, give away, loan or otherwise transfer a rifle or shotgun or ammunition other than (a) by operation of law, or (b) to an exempt person as hereinafter described, or (c) to a licensed dealer, or (d) to a person who displays his firearm identification card, or license to carry a pistol or revolver.

your pretty much subbjecting seller to federal issues if they allow you to buy

to buy a rifle in ny you will need you fid from ma
you need that in ma to buy a gun, so you would need to display that to go through a legit transaction

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your help guys. That's what I figured but I wasn't sure. Luckily the club my buddy is joining allows guests so I'll just shoot like that until my paperwork goes through and I can buy a rifle of my own. Thanks again and I'm sure I'll be back on the forum with more questions I the future!

·
I wish I were an Oscar Meyer Weiner
6,795 Posts
Couldnt he be a dual resident though? If he is leasing an apartment and staying here in NYS for the next couple years couldnt he be considered a NYS resident and allowed to purchase a firearm legally?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
Couldnt he be a dual resident though? If he is leasing an apartment and staying here in NYS for the next couple years couldnt he be considered a NYS resident and allowed to purchase a firearm legally?
not until he looses his ma resident status
dual residency only really helps military
if he is leasing an apt, he could be a ny resident by the end of the day.
if he maintains a ma living situation he will need a ma fid card... without one i believe he will be violating federal law...definatly would be violating letter of ma law

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
once you have a place of living in ny its actually illegal to keep an out of state license .... theoreticly it might be illegal to call himself a resident of ny alone... this is without even including a firearm in the charges

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
once you have a place of living in ny its actually illegal to keep an out of state license .... theoreticly it might be illegal to call himself a resident of ny alone... this is without even including a firearm in the charges
I daul residents. Homes, vehicles,& bank accounts in both FL & NY. I also have permits in both states for my handguns. I have a FL driver license & NY ID. I was told by DAs office and judges if in the case that I'm pulled over or asked for ID, I'm to present both IDs to that Leo. I buy firearms in both states. Non-NY complaint firearms & handguns registered in FL, stay in FL. All NY handguns must stay in NY. All firearms at are complaint, can come to either state with me. Even my passport has both address.

·
The artist formerly known as jhm8071
5,143 Posts
What about all the out of state kids that attend college in NY? Is it expected that they give up residency if they live on campus?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That's actually my situation. I am a student at SU, but I live off campus. I collect a paycheck in NY, so I assume that I am also paying taxes to the state on that money. Thats why I was wondering about being a dual resident, or if that's even possible.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
US passports don't list an address.
Correct, meant my insurance cards. Thanks, had to check mine and found I need mine renewed soon.

·
Registered
278 Posts
That's actually my situation. I am a student at SU, but I live off campus. I collect a paycheck in NY, so I assume that I am also paying taxes to the state on that money. Thats why I was wondering about being a dual resident, or if that's even possible.
What's the issue? It sounds like you currently reside in NY. So switch your driver's license, it'll take 50 dollars and you won't have any issues with possessing firearms in the state.

Even without doing so, I would say to just go to a dealer and attempt a purchase. Mass. is contiguous to NY, and you have no intention of violating Mass law by entering the state with the firearm. If you're rejected, then you know the answer.

Keith

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
What about all the out of state kids that attend college in NY? Is it expected that they give up residency if they live on campus?
funny you should ask
campus situations are specifically setup as non permanent housing to be able to circumvent evictions
( basicly any tenant that pays his rent cant be evicted from permanant housing without 30 day notice, so schools dont offer a permanant address)
campus addresses are not accepted for many thing by people and organazations in the know such as car rental, car leasing, furniture rental and the like

some students (usually sports players) are sometimes purposely moved into of campus housing (if they originate from out of state) so they can become residents and receive nys scholarships
i know about this because i have a bunch of houses i take care of for family and almost all my tennents are students
they find housing and sign leases 3-4 months before season starts at school so they can be legal citizen of state by time school starts and programs for assistant are doled out

1 - 14 of 14 Posts