New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, tomorrow I temporarily (4 months) move to Herkimer NY to work at Remington over the summer. I wanted to take my bolt action rifle for shooting on the weekend. I have the bolt disassembled with a lock through it and the ammo in a sperated locked container. IS there anything else I need? it was hard to find info for non-residents, thank you much.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
I hate to be the Grammer Police, but you spelled it wrong. It is Riddle. Two d's.

Now, that being said, RIDDLE me this? Why would you want to come here? :cool:

·
Registered
710 Posts
Your title says "ridle" instead of rifle. You may want to edit that real quick. As far as a transfer, I would think that as long as you transfer it across state lines via FFL, you should be fine—unless there is a legal issue regarding having a rifle and being an out of state resident.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Your title says "ridle" instead of rifle. You may want to edit that real quick. As far as a transfer, I would think that as long as you transfer it across state lines via FFL, you should be fine-unless there is a legal issue regarding having a rifle and being an out of state resident.
Its his rifle..no ffl transfer is needed.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
Hey Niacin....

I have a RIDDLE for you....

What walks on four in the morning?
Two in the afternoon?
And three in the evening?

·
Registered
764 Posts
I have the bolt disassembled with a lock through it and the ammo in a sperated locked container. IS there anything else I need? it was hard to find info for non-residents, thank you much.
Dissassembly, locking, and separate ammo while not a bad idea is not required. There are no regulations for long guns in Herkimer as long as you are Federally able to posses a weapon. Do be aware that its not legal here to drive with a loaded long gun (unlike many other real states)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the grammar issue, the gun laws are a bit different from PA, especially central PA. Good to hear that everything should be ok, and to answer your question Steve-O I have an engineering internship at Remington. Thank you for the responses everyone.

·
Registered
1,352 Posts
That is awesome Colt!! Congrats and welcome to NY. It is really not that bad here. Welcome to the forum. Lots of great people and info here. Where are you moving to? Didn't Remington recently threaten to pull out of NYS? I forgot why...gun laws...taxes...something like that. Does anyone know?

·
Registered
644 Posts
The laws governing a bolt action rifle in NYS are relatively similar to the laws that exist in PA -- no license needed (or issued), no loaded rifles in vehicles, etc. Just keep it away from NYC.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hey Niacin....

I have a RIDDLE for you....

What walks on four in the morning?
Two in the afternoon?
And three in the evening?
The answer is a human.
At the beginning of life (the morning) he crawls as a baby on all fours. During the middle of his life he walks on two legs (noon) and at the end of his life (the night) he walks with a cane (three legs). The cane is an ancient symbol representing knowledge according to Egyptian belief.

c

·
Registered
810 Posts
Hello everyone, tomorrow I temporarily (4 months) move to Herkimer NY to work at Remington over the summer. I wanted to take my bolt action rifle for shooting on the weekend. I have the bolt disassembled with a lock through it and the ammo in a sperated locked container. IS there anything else I need? it was hard to find info for non-residents, thank you much.
So we are going to be neighbors...Welcome to the valley, and enjoy your summer @ the arms.

·
Registered
810 Posts

·
Registered
710 Posts
I was under the impression that no person was allowed to drive firearms across state lines. Am I incorrect? Am I allowed to purchase a firearm that is NY compliant in PA and drive it back to NY?

·
Registered
810 Posts
I think as long as they are bordering states with NY it is legal, and no need to send to FFL...Long gun only of course!

·
Registered
387 Posts
I was under the impression that no person was allowed to drive firearms across state lines. Am I incorrect? Am I allowed to purchase a firearm that is NY compliant in PA and drive it back to NY?
Don't recall the exact language, but you're not allowed to transport firearms across state lines for the purpose of transferring possession/ownership, and that is where an FFL is needed. If you're simply driving around (i.e. moving) with your personal firearms, you can drive wherever you want...handguns included, unless their is a local law preventing their possession.

·
Registered
810 Posts
Don't recall the exact language, but you're not allowed to transport firearms across state lines for the purpose of transferring possession/ownership, and that is where an FFL is needed. If you're simply driving around (i.e. moving) with your personal firearms, you can drive wherever you want...handguns included, unless their is a local law preventing their possession.
How would anyone know if you were to sell your long gun after transporting across state lines. All that is needed is a bill of sale from person selling to buyer and then that isn't really needed. A pistol is a different horse completely as that is where a FFL would come in to finalize the sale.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts