New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let's say someone is interested in becoming an NRA instructor and takes the requisite course(s). Then what? Where do you teach classes? Is there a demand for certified NRA instructors?

Any info would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

·
Banned
5,970 Posts
I'm trying to organize a class, I'll let you know, waiting for the guy to get back to me.

·
Registered
4,139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Evild, please do keep me in the loop.

I believe RPD here in Rochester also offers courses. My question though is 'what then?' What opportunities are there for teaching classes? My local conservation club would be a logical choice, but I don't think they offer classes.

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
Thanks Evild, please do keep me in the loop.

I believe RPD here in Rochester also offers courses. My question though is 'what then?' What opportunities are there for teaching classes? My local conservation club would be a logical choice, but I don't think they offer classes.
It really depends on the area you live in and the clubs and ranges that you also have in your area when it comes to teaching. Here in the Buffalo area, many clubs are not interested in giving range time for a class to an instructor who is not part of the club. In the past the Basic Pistol course was the prerequisite before applying for a pistol permit in Erie County. Once they made it so you could no longer do the live fire portion in a per-licensing class, the class in this area can be hard to sell to the general public because of the misunderstanding of what the class is. It also does not help when you have an instructor in this area giving out the Basic Pistol certificate for an hour and half class that in no way is remotely a "class". This has given the class a bad name in this area. I do see many instructors running the Basic Pistol class in the Rochester area on a frequent basis. I also wrote this assuming that you were talking about the NRA pistol Instructor class. I hold several different NRA instructors titles and each one presents its own challenges and rewards when it comes to teaching them in any area.

Dave from RPD holds Instructor training in several disciplines a couple times a year and he does fine job at it. You can check his site or contact him directly with what he is offering. He sometimes runs a weekend class that will certify you in more than one NRA class (I recommend you do this if you can)

·
Registered
1,634 Posts
I'm trying to organize a class, I'll let you know, waiting for the guy to get back to me.
We never did get to meet at the meeting the other night. Who is the Training Counselor that you are working with and what certification class are you trying to put together? PM if you can

Thanks!

Jim

1 - 5 of 5 Posts