New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to pistols figured i'd come to the forums.

Was shooting this past weekend (outside had to climb through 3 feet of snot for a 1/4 mile to get the the range in 20 degree weather) anyways. was running PPU HP .40 s&w in my Taurus Slim 740.

Every couple of magazines it would fail to load the last round of the mag, so i kept track of the magazine it was doing it to, and it was happening to both. it was almost like it was not making it past the bullet guide.

What are some issues that could cause this? bad springs in the magazine? maybe the type of round? possibly the bullet guide needs some oil?

one particular round the bullet flipped itself upwards (the top was pointing out of the gun)

Maybe it is just it's break in period, but i put 100 rounds through it and it was still doing it on the 3rd to last mag.

thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Sounds like the mags to me. Maybe they need to be broken in more. Is it a new gun? Does it only have the 100 rounds through it? Also I'm not sure what you're referring to as the bullet guide. If that is the magazine follower, it should not need to be oiled, or at least I have never heard of doing that.

If you're referring to the feed ramp (inside the chamber, just before the barrel), that would make more sense, especially if it happens with hollowpoints. The feed ramp may need some polishing. Try some ball ammo and see if it still happens.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yeah meant a feed ramp (was calling it that wrongly was thinking my saiga ak i guess. or i might be a complete dumbass ;) ) yes it is a new gun and only has 100 rounds through it, gonna polish that feed ramp and try some ball ammo, thanks for the help scotchman.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts