New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have one or knowledgeable with them? Found one for $759 its 6.5'' blued shoots 410, 45lc and 454 cassull. Is this a good price? Any known problems with these? Thinking about putting it on layaway

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
I want one of those one day.. that price sounds ball park but check gander mountain online and gunbroker to compare. I'm not aware of common problems but there is a taurus forum that gets good traffic. Www.taurusarmed.com or maybe .net...

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I posted the same thing on taurusarmed got a few responses nothing bad.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just checked gander didn't have this one but they do have a 3'' stainless for $1050. IMO I think gander is extremely over priced in firearms I wouldn't be surprised if the blued was close to that there

·
Registered
3,999 Posts
A retired cop I know has one. Loves it. It is the gun at the range that all the other shooters turn to look at when he fires the thing. I dare him to use it for the HR218 requal.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It seams as if this is a really hard piece to come by. Stopped and my more favorable gun shop to see if they could get it they had never even heard of it! Looked up his distributors and nobody has em in stock. I'm really not in the market for a new firearm but may need to put this on layaway tomorrow....

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah lock n load was what I meant when I said my more favorable shop. U sure it was a raging judge and not raging bull?

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I will call tomorrow. Thing is I can't afford a new handgun till after Christmas and may hoods has no time limit for layaway so at least I know id have it

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I would recommend buying a dedicated .454 Casull revolver instead. .410 out of a rifled revolver barrel is a mess. There are countless threads on this topic, on this forum and others.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
the nice thing about these revolvers is their versatility. to have the ability to shoot 4 different types of ammo makes it a great tool when there are ammo shortages, or even in a shtf type environment where you are scrounging for ammo.

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The gun is used I didn't realize this makes me nervous buying one of these uses

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
the nice thing about these revolvers is their versatility. to have the ability to shoot 4 different types of ammo makes it a great tool when there are ammo shortages, or even in a shtf type environment where you are scrounging for ammo.
I agree, to an extent. But which of those is a caliber you think will be plentiful during an ammo shortage? I would rather have a .40S&W with a .357Sig and 9mm conversion barrels, maybe a .22LR conversion kit. Or just a normal .44Mag/.357Mag revolver that shoots Special. And a normal .454 Casull can still shoot .45LC, which is the primary benefit to this gun in particular.

On paper it looks appealing, but once I start thinking about it, it makes less and less sense. A Sig P250 with all the fixings does more for less, and is at least equal in quality.

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
Its like a jack of all trades but master of none... myself I opted for the 44mag and I plan to get a .357 too.

A dedicated 454 will also shoot 45lc and 45acp with moon clips so its still quite versatile. And imo the best heavy revolver is the ruger srh (I chose the alaskan).

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I agree, to an extent. But which of those is a caliber you think will be plentiful during an ammo shortage? I would rather have a .40S&W with a .357Sig and 9mm conversion barrels, maybe a .22LR conversion kit. Or just a normal .44Mag/.357Mag revolver that shoots Special. And a normal .454 Casull can still shoot .45LC, which is the primary benefit to this gun in particular.

On paper it looks appealing, but once I start thinking about it, it makes less and less sense. A Sig P250 with all the fixings does more for less, and is at least equal in quality.
Lol this is not the only gun I own.. just something fun to add to my collection. Does every firearm u own serve a specific purpose? I have plenty of guns and all any of them ever do and most likely ever will do is shoot paper at the range

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
Lol this is not the only gun I own.. just something fun to add to my collection. Does every firearm u own serve a specific purpose? I have plenty of guns and all any of them ever do and most likely ever will do is shoot paper at the range
Well, I was responding to thecelt in #15, not you...but yes all my guns serve a purpose.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
For what it's worth, I have a Bond Cowboy Defender in 45LC/410. I bought it for vest pocket carry in the fall, winter & spring. I bought 45LC ammo and buckshot, rifled slugs, PDX and 6 shot & 7 1/2 shot 410 ammo for it so I could patern it with various kinds of ammo.

This little handgun is a handfull to shoot being so small, it's not an everyday plinker unless you like to punish your wrist. But it isa very lethal personal defense weapon when the need arises. I'm sur the Taurus Judge or the S&W Govenor in 45LC/410 woud be more of a pleasure to shoot, also with a longer barrel it would hold the patern better then in my little short barreled Bond.

As far as what works the best in my Bond it come down to the 410 buckshot load, my barrel only excepts 410 in 2 3/4". At the range this is how it worked for me and my Bond at twenty-one feet.

45LC Buffalo Bore, two shots at target - five inches high to the right.
410 PDX, two shots at target - The three dics were four inches low to the left and the twelve bBBs were spread allover the 4' by 4' cardboard back stop. The BBs had way to much spread for personal defence, you'd hit un-intended people anywhere in the general direction of the target, but the intended target would take the three disc in the general area where they need to be to stop the situation from esculateing.
410 - #6 shot - spread allover the 4' by 4' back stop.
410 - #7 q1/2 shot - same as the #6 shot, spread all over the 4' by 4' back stop.

Now the 2 1/2" buckshot was right in there about four inches high to the right and the spread was decent. They had about a eight inch spread and would be tighter at closer distances. One of the (32 caliber pellets I believe) will take out something that is critical for survival. This is my personal choise to use in my bond for personal defense.

I had a nylon ammo pouch made up to carry extra ammo in, It folds up and carries five 410 shells and five 45LC cartridges and is comfortable to carry in your pocket. I had a few extra made up for some friends who carry the Bond Derringers.
For 410 shells I carry two Buckshot, two PDXand one rifled Slug, for 45LC I carry five Hollow-point Buffalo Bore cartridges.

Some time down the road I'll be picking up a Taurus Judge in stainless with the six inch barrel, with buckshot it would be great home defense handgun, with the six inch barrel it would give you a nice pattern and offer you several back up shots if you need them. With my Bond Derringer I'm at a handicap being limited to two rounds in the handgun. I've seen several of the Taurus Judges with the six inch barrel in both stainless and blued at the local gunshops and at the gun shows. I'm not ready for one yet so I really haven't looked at the price. What ever it is,it is. If it cost $900 used it should still bring $900 if you decide to dispose of it.

It's nice if you can find a gun store that has the Lay-Away Program, 25% down & two to three months to pay it off. I have two guns on the payment plan right now that I need to pick up before the end of the month.
Every gun has it's purpose and some people will like it and some won't, but in the end it's what you like. And most every one I know goes through changes in what they like, When I buy guns that I like I hang on to themor give them to my sons. But I do buy guns as an investment and plan on disposeing them when I can turn a proffit. I'm picking up a Mossberg Plinkster today to resell for a $50 profit., this gun will put me $50 closer to picking up one of my law-away guns. Here in Washington State we can sell pistols, rifles and shotguns face to face so we don't have to go through a FFL dealer and throw away $40 on a transfer and have the state suck up their 9% use tax on used guns.

My Bond & Ammo Pouch, The leather holster came with the gun.I paid $350 for the gun and about $15 for the ammo pouch. Carrying this on your belt is like haveing a tape-measure on your belt, you don't even know it's there once you put it on.
Bond 45410 with Ammo Pouch.jpg

·
Registered
794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well the shop does have a layaway with no time limit. I didn't get it but I stop there Evey Wednesday on my route so if it doesnt find a home by then maybe I'll still get her

1 - 20 of 29 Posts