New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think my wife found a wheel gun she likes alot. Taurus 85 in SS, 38 special, with crimson trace grip. Very nice feel, I liked it too. salesman said that Taurus is hit or miss with quality control so to speak. some people have had problems with them and you never know. Very nice guns/company however suggesting a lifetime warranty for it/ like 30 or 35 bucks.

Is this really true or is it a sales pitch. I thought Taurus to be of good quality, up there with Ruger and the likes. Just not sure if thats the case or what, what has others experience been with Taurus' and also how is the recoil management on a 38..???

Again for my wife for a range gun and mostly taking classes together and shooting together. handles my 9mm Ruger sr9c well but for instance does not like my LCP....too snappy.

Not to get into it but she has made the conscious decision not to carry so this is a gun for range and pistol leagues and what not so does not want something kicking too bad. Finally talked her outta shooting 22 all her life and that a centerfire would be much nicer to have.

Thank you all !!

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
My wife has the Taurus 85 Ultralight, had it for quite a few years. Never had a problem with it and it's really accurate for a snub nose gun. Don't know about the warranty thing, haven't heard of that. I thought Taurus had a lifetime warranty for the original owner but I may be mistaken. I have CT grips on three of my guns now, absolutely love them.

·
Registered
536 Posts
All Taurus' have a lifetime warranty transferrable with the gun. If the dealer was trying to "sell" you a warranty for 30 bucks, I'd get another dealer because he's trying to rip you off. What he hopefully was saying is that it costs 30-35 bucks to SHIP the gun back to Taurus for repair if it has an issue, which is true. I can't speak for the 85 as I've never shot one, but I do have other Taurus guns and love them.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
He said this warranty covers the shipping and what not of the gun. he said it can be expensive to ship it and had to do it a certain way so maybe this is some extended warranty to cover shipping? He made a point to say how it even covered the cost of shipping as this can add up and blah blah blah. Almost trying to say hey, you most likely have to send this back someday and this will more than cover that. Was not bashing it as much as saying min 50% of the people that buy taurus has to send them back for work.

Thank you.

·
Super Moderator
3,233 Posts
I would think that if you need to send a gun back to Taurus, they will send a call tag and cover the shipping costs. You can ship directly back to a manufacturer for repair without going through an FFL.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Les is right you don't have to go through an FFL. Your dealer is trying to sell you a "warranty" for his time and cost to ship it, but it's pretty much bullcrap. Will he give you a written warranty so when you come back to the shop in 3 years he remembers you and processes the shipment free? What happens if he closes up shop? I would guess your out of luck. You can ship it yourself via UPS or FedEx, and it'll be about 30 bucks. Your dealer is allowed to ship it CHEAPER via USPS (about half the cost with delivery confirmation and insurance), and he's going to pocket the rest of the cash for his time (which you may never need, then he keeps all that cash). My advice, buy the gun if it's what you want, but tell him your not interested in his "warranty". You can always find a dealer to ship it if you need service for less than that later, or just send it yours

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
While it's true that Taurus quality is not generally on par with Ruger, S&W, etc , and quality control can indeed be hit or miss .. to say that 50% of people have to send theirs in for work is certainly being more than a bit extreme. The company wouldn't stay in business if that were true.
As for the warranty , was this a Gander Mountain ? That sounds like their deal. Its not trying to rip you off exactly. Though I've never taken them up on it, I did wish I had once. Last I knew, the Gander deal was that they cover the warranty one year beyond the factory warranty; OR one year in total if the factory warranty has already expired. If that warranty, as in the case of the Taurus is lifetime, then so is Gander's. What they will do is just take care of everything so you don't have to. For instance, It can be an annoying process to find a facility that you can ship your own gun from to the repair facility. Many mailing facilities won't take them in and might refer you to another place that may be a decent trip away (that's what has happened to me). If the store will do it for you, you don't have to worry about packaging and all that stuff; so it may or may not be worth it to you.

Now, I'll explain why I sincerely wish I had taken then up on that deal once. I've sent a few guns back to the manufacturer for repair, all of them with companies that paid for it and it was relatively little hassle. Then came Magnum Research. I bought a very lightly used Baby Eagle at a gander mountain, and did not pay for their extra warranty. Skip ahead a little bit, when at a range trip the Baby Eagle's safety lever fell out, broken in the middle and took a small chunk of slide with it !

I called Magnum Research and they told me the warranty had expired on that gun , and that I would pay for everything if anything was done, shipping, parts, work, etc. They also would not give me any idea of what it would cost , even though I could name the parts that were needed (Including a slide, so this was going to be a big deal). I told them I might not be able to afford it so I needed an idea of price and I swear to y9ou they then openly mocked me , laughed at me, and said that "If I was too poor to have it fixed I shouldn't own one of their pistols" Yes, this really happened.

So, to this day , many years later , the gun still sits unfixed and un-fireable in my safe. If I had just paid Gander the $35 bucks they would have covered it. Now I cant sell it, I can't fire it, and it just sits there useless. A waste of around $500 because the magnum research customer service were the absolute worst scumbags I have ever come across within the gun industry. $35 bucks to gander could have avoided all that though; So I will always wish I had just paid it.

·
Registered
794 Posts
I have an 856 same as an 85 but six shot w minimal size difference. I love it!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've known 3 people that have owned a Taurus Model 85. None of them currently own one. Save a little extra coin and buy a Smith and Wesson. IMHO Taurus ='s junk. But I am partial to my Smith and Wessons...

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hunter, what model smith compares to the 85? 636 or 656 whatever that popular one is?

and Yes hexidismal, its gander, none of my LGS have much in stock and she like this one with the Crimson trace grip. but still need to check around as I ultimately prefer to by from LGS vs big box. But it is nice to look there as they have alot of models.

thanks for the opinions and what not. Will look at smiths too.

Im a ruger guy but she like the hammer to be there.......so it needs a hammer in her eyes...whatever as its her gun, im just glad shes looking........

Todd

·
Registered
85 Posts
The Bodyguard, Model 637, Model 36, and don't be afraid of a used one. I would much prefer a pinned barrel S&W to the new ones being produced today.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but a good alternative to look into would be the 2.25" inch barreled Ruger SP101. I like smiths personally, but the SP101 is a very fine gun and a logical alternative to an all stainless Taurus 85.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, but a good alternative to look into would be the 2.25" inch barreled Ruger SP101. I like smiths personally, but the SP101 is a very fine gun and a logical alternative to an all stainless Taurus 85.
I had her look at that one as I thought the same. Im partial to rugers but didnt like the feel of it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts