New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone own a Taurus 709 9mm? I'm looking at this handgun as my first cc. Been looking for awhile and I believe I have settled on this. Does anyone have any other suggestions I could look into. I'm looking for something that is fairly inexpensive, $400 or less. I'm on a limited budget. My wife is a stay-at-home mother.(I have three children who are home-schooled with varying forms of Autism) My income is all we currently have at this time. Need something dependable and low cost. I will be using this for personal protection and some target shooting. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Yes I have a 709 slim for a carry gun and I love it. It's small enough to pocket carry if you want, and still 9mm.

A lot of people here will hate on the Taurus, and everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have over 500 flawless rounds down mine (many my own reloads) and I love this gun. It's not as popular as a glock, or ruger LC9, so aftermarket accessories take some work to find. I replaced the front bead with a fiber optic small shotgun site and I love it. There are glock night site options that fit too if you search. It fits most glock 26 holsters, but do some research on the specific holster and gun reviews to be sure. Not all fit perfect. The reasons I love my 709 over other options are:

1) Trigger. I had a Keltec p11 before, and that trigger was hard for me to shoot. I find the 709's trigger nice. It's different so read up on it, a lot of takeup, but then it breaks clean with light weight.
2) Big finger hole vs others. You could shoot this pretty well in the winter with a glove on if you had to.
3) Double strike. If a round doesn't fire, you can squeeze it off again without racking the slide.
4) External Safety. It has a trigger safety, but I like having an external one too.
5) 7+1 mag capacity. Don't even worry about NY Safe act BS, it's ok with this gun.
6) I added a Hogue Mini-handall grip, it gives nice finger grooves and makes the grip a little wider if you have big hands.
7) Lifetime warranty.
8) It's SLIM, you're hard pressed to find a lighter or slimmer 9mm for deep concealment.
9) 9mm with just barely more than a .380 size

Drawbacks:
1) Mags are expensive and RARE. You need to be patient and do some research but you can get a 2nd mag for about 30 shipped. However, in the peak of the "frenzy" they were selling for over $80 on ebay. I pegged several sites with a "let me know when in stock" and eventually got one at a good price from grabagun.com.
2) Holster options are limited, takes research. I got a cheap blackhawk pocket holster that works well, and a Desantis Softuk. There are some more expensive options like a crossbreed that are made for a 709, but your favorite mom and pop holster maker probably doesn't have one.
3) Not made in the USA, and Taurus semi autos don't have a real great rep. However, I didn't find many people saying the 709 suffered from issues other Taurus semi's had, and I'm completely confident in it. Do your own research and decide.
4) Limited Mag capacity. Well, not much of an issue with the NY Safe act, but if it gets overturned, you might be wishing you had 10 or more rounds. Or perhaps another firearm in .40 or .45 with 7+1 rounds. Personal preference.

Guns I compared it against and decided on the Taurus 709 slim were:
Keltek PF9
Keltek P11
Rugler LC9
Glcok 26

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, this helps a lot. Watched some Youtube reviews on the 709 and others. Really like what I see in the 709. Thanks again.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
I had a 709 slim a while back and liked it a lot. Taurus has some good features in their pistols. The gun felt good to hold and concealed nicely.
A real good value for the price. Yeh you may hear some antis whining about the 709, but what's new, and who cares?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I've seen so far, there have been more Pros than cons for the 709 . I've seen a few gripes, mostly about how much oil is on the gun.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I carry the 709 Slim for my EDC. I love the gun, I have a Don Hume holster for it, got it for $35 from Jackson Guns. Very very comfortable, I highly recommend it. I also picked up a grip extension for the magazine.

Feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts