New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, well I know it's legal in NY, but is there any type of limitations on it? I recenently acquired a rather large supply of it for very little in return, but I don't feel like being arrested anytime soon... I figure that since it is stacked higher and wider than the 50 gallon barrel down in my basement, I could probably have quite a bit of fun. And though the thought has crossed my mind several times to fill the drum and see what happens, I honestly wouldn't feel safe doing it. But how much is too much? In a legal aspect of course...

·
Banned
478 Posts
I wouldn't do it near any nuclear power stations....

There is a ton of stuff on youtube showing the size of the explosion vs. how much tannerite used. The key is to find some land that isn't near anything.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Land isn't the problem. A guy down here who's son is a really good friend of mine has a few acres where we do most of our shooting and blowing **** up. I just don't want to be that idiot that blows say 40lbs of it up and gets the cops out for disturbing the peace or some other law like endangerment or something. Theres no way I'm not gonna record it but he'll, videos are getting a lot of people in trouble these days so I don't want to intentionally incriminate myself.

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I really hope it gets put on YT afterword.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have so many ideas lol. Propane tanks... Gas cans... Maybe just a 50 gallon barrel... Anyone wanna donate a pos car? Lol.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I have so many ideas lol. Propane tanks... Gas cans... Maybe just a 50 gallon barrel... Anyone wanna donate a pos car? Lol.
Yes, my wife's Saturn. I have 50lbs, just not enough land to do it, lol

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dude, I used to live across the bridges in Tonawanda. I'll let you know when we decide to do this and if ya want you can come on down and join the fun!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
not recording such a large explosion is very selfish

Beware of shrapnel if you want to blow objects up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well we went shooting this weekend, but the tannerite was put on hold. I got with the sheriffs office and was asked to hold off so that a proper legal answer as to hom much is too much was found. I have this strange feeling that this whole event is going to be moved to pa, which is only 20 minutes for where I know I can go, but it will cause a little further delay if so. If anyone is willing to come with, I will bring a grill and supply the food but will need help to clear some brush and possibly knock over a tree or two. I own 2 stihls that will do the job and I have the equipment we would need to simply drop them. The spot I would have to blow this stuff is in the woods and I'm not looking to start a forest fire here lol. Once I get word from Chautauqua I will post it...

·
Registered
913 Posts
id be willing to go for a day trip. i have some steel targets to shoot at. longest iv been able to get is 150 yards around here in buffalo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm not about to dig a big ass hole under a stump when I can play with my chainsaws that have barely gotten any use. Plus then I can justify having bought them 2 years ago to the wife hahaha.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Ok, well I know it's legal in NY, but is there any type of limitations on it? I recenently acquired a rather large supply of it for very little in return, but I don't feel like being arrested anytime soon... I figure that since it is stacked higher and wider than the 50 gallon barrel down in my basement, I could probably have quite a bit of fun. And though the thought has crossed my mind several times to fill the drum and see what happens, I honestly wouldn't feel safe doing it. But how much is too much? In a legal aspect of course...
from what i;ve read as long as its not mixed yet the quantity doesn't matter it only matters after it is mixed and ready to be touched off i wouldn't mix more than 10 large canisters at a time.......... depends on local cops

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm gonna post a vid in a bit of tonight's fun in pa. A little tannerite and some gas... Fun stuff lol. As for limits in NY, still no answer. I've called a few times and they still have no clear concise answer so I'm gonna give it a couple more weeks and say to hell with it after that!

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I was told at the LGS by my house from the guy who works there every day that tannerite isn't actually legal. Apparently the restrictions are in the NYS labor laws?

Can anyone confirm or deny this 100% via quoted law?

·
Registered
3,857 Posts
I can't, but I do recall on other threads that no one was able to pint out a law prohibiting it's use, as long as you do the final mixing where you intend to use it, for non commercial applications. Was good enough for me so I used it last week at the range in front of 4 people including 2 I never met before and never worried if they might be LEO or anything. It was just the small one, was a pretty neat boom, although my ear protection blocked most of it..

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
I can't, but I do recall on other threads that no one was able to pint out a law prohibiting it's use, as long as you do the final mixing where you intend to use it, for non commercial applications. Was good enough for me so I used it last week at the range in front of 4 people including 2 I never met before and never worried if they might be LEO or anything. It was just the small one, was a pretty neat boom, although my ear protection blocked most of it..
ah, perhaps the mixing is the key element

1 - 19 of 19 Posts