New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so here is the quick story. I have an elderly Grandfather who is becoming frail, and to be quite honest, is showing signs of dementia. It is sad, my Grandfather is very influential to me, and has helped to shape who I am today. He has a pistol permit with one revolver on it. My Grandparent's home was recently robbed while they were not home by a neighbor they trusted the key to. My Grandfather immediately wanted his gun. At this point, we are afraid he is gonna mistake my Grandmother for an intruder. We have taken the step to hide the gun in a place he would never find it. He hasn't noticed for a few months and he has probably forgotten about it. What is the best tactic to get him to sign a co-ownership consent form, so I can put this gun on my permit and get it out of their house. Knowing him, he won't sign it if he thinks we are going to take it.

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
Tough role to be in, I went through the same $hit with my Mother taking her car keys away, it's not easy and I don't wish what you're trying to do on anyone. Good luck and at least put a trigger lock on the gun until you are able to get it out of the house.

·
Registered
5,239 Posts
How about repair or EXPERT cleaning for the guns?
you will even take them to the special gunsmith for this Ultrasonic cleaning, and Lub.
(but because of the Stupid NYS laws...)

or

make a deal with him that you both own his and Your guns (one of yours), to make sure the Government doenst try to Pull anything!

·
Registered
9,137 Posts
Having a conversation about it will only put it back on his radar. He clearly doesn't want to give it up.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Phauxtoe I like the idea of putting my gun on his permit, or at least making it appear that I will be putting my gun on his permit. It gives the idea that he is not getting something taken away, but gaining something.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
If I was concerned enough I wouldn't worry about co-ownership. I would secure the firearm outside the house and work the details backwards from there. Is there a family lawyer of good ethics that could be consulted? In spite of NY law I'd do the moral right thing although according to NY it might not be legal in NY, but legal in 45 other states. Tough job, hopefully a lawyer friend could help you fly under radar until it becomes legal. It's not like you're doing anything criminal, I just don't believe the nanny state does thing with our best interest in mind. Those bastards would send a SWAT team and shoot the dog.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Having a conversation about it will only put it back on his radar. He clearly doesn't want to give it up.
I agree in theory, but all it would take is one call from Grandpa to the police and OP is in heap big trouble for stealing a gun.

From a strictly legal standpoint, I like the co-ownership route... it'll be painful to have the conversation, but if successful would probably be best for all parties.

·
Registered
489 Posts
IfThose bastards would send a SWAT team and shoot the dog.
That's why I'd be reluctant to simply remove it.

1 - Trigger lock it in its current hiding place
2 - Have the conversation with Gramps
3 - Proceed with co-ownership if step 2 is successful
4 - If step 2 is not, get legal advice... perhaps power of attorney is an option.

Sorry... tough spot to be in. I'll have to do this with Dad someday, but only with long guns, fortunately.

·
Registered
2,769 Posts
First things first......make sure grandpa and grandma have a ride on Nov. 4th to vote ;)

I like the idea of putting one of your guns on his permit and vice versa. No free lunch for either of you ;)

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
He gonna give you the "charlton heston" one liner..

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
Not an easy situation to be in. I'm just going to rattle off some thoughts. Who is he Heath Proxy? You could have a Doc examine him and write a statement that his mind is going. There's a good chance this would revoke his permit, don't know if you want to go that route. Getting him to see a Doc. could be a battle you don't want to deal with either (if he's anything like my folks). Do you have power of attorney? It could make transferring the gun easier. Do a Co-ownership for the gun. Putting a trigger lock on the gun is only a fast solution, there is still the matter of ownership of the gun. Not saying it's a bad idea, it would keep him and others safe. Hiding it may not work, I'm sure he knows his house better than you do, and given time he could very well find it.
My dad (Ret. NYPD) has it in his will that all his firearms will be turned over to me at the time of his demise. My father-in-law has said he'd give me his, but there's nothing in witting saying so and I don't press him on the issue. This is not an easy problem and one I don't personally look forward to dealing with.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Come to think of it, why worry at all? I mean, once all those ghost-clip magazines for the glock revolver are shot up then they're depleted and can't be used anymore, right? I know it must be true 'cause a politician from Colorado said so. I'm sure Grandpa fired that revolver at least six times. It's totally safe! </sarcasm>

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The goal is to get co owner ship and then remove it legally from the home. In his condition as long as it hasn't been mentioned in a few days, he will not be thinking of it, and it will be a pretty safe bet that removing it will not send him in to a panic.

·
Banned
714 Posts
Does your grandfather have a pistol license? When he applied for it, was he required to name someone to care for it in the event he became incapacitated in any way. Are you that person? Here in Nassau County, we are required to name someone who does not live in our household, and who is not required to be a pistol license holder, to safeguard our pistols in just such an event.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Tough situation to be in, I do like the gun lock at a temporary fix, from there in might get ugly. Definatly take all of the ammo out of the house. Good Luck.

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Just explain to your grandfather that you'd like to have the handgun on your permit so that down the road at the time of his passing there is no problem with the government and no hoops to jump through where the gun might be "misplaced" by those in charge.

If you'd rather not have to remind him of it's existence you'll need to make sure he can't find it until his passing and then you'll have to get all of the paperwork done at that point and go through the process.

·
Registered
774 Posts
Its a revolver just take the cylinder or cylinders if he has more then one since its not the serial number part of the gun and legal to own. Then you can work on getting the gun in your name.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts