New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would really like to try some form of "tactical" shooting sport -- IDPA, IPSC, 3-gun. Something that's different than statically punching paper. And yet, I can't seem to find anyone who does that in my area (the three counties listed above). The nearest place to me is Cortland, but it's about 1.5 hours away.

Weird, for the 3 most gun-friendly counties in the state :DAn

Any help?

·
Registered
918 Posts
Otsego county: Crumhorn where I am a member is open to it but other than my training programs there are not any organized shoots beyond the Cowboy, SASS stuff.

The Club in Oneonta has a zero tolerance policy on this type of shooting and even goes as far as to NOT ALLOW any targets that even remotely represent a silhouette. They have even refused my requests to PAY them to teach classes on their range despite the fact that I was a member in good standing.

Beyond that the other ranges in the county are open to things but again nothing organized.

Maybe we should work on that. Maybe invite Marc H to come in and help us get something going... I beleive he runs a pretty good competition at his club.

Marc? Thoughts?

·
Registered
507 Posts
Hah! In my spare time;) I run a variety of stuff at Otisco-action pistol, rifle, 3gun, precision rifle, a .22 league, and a winter rifle league. I also keep busy with MDTS in the summer. On top of that I am competing in a few 3gun matches this year, including a couple that are out of state. I will be assisting with a shoot up on Fort Drum again this summer as well. Sorry guys, no can do. I am pretty well tapped out on free time. But I do appreciate the thought.

I am lucky that quite a few CNY guys shoot with me, including a few from this site. I would not be opposed if someone who wanted to start up a shooting event at another club came down to see how I do things. You would be amazed at what you can do at a small club with the right people. And I feel that the more clubs that are active in promoting the shooting sports and responsible gun ownership, the better off we are. Even a simple .22 league is a big step in the right direction.

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Otsego county: Crumhorn where I am a member is open to it but other than my training programs there are not any organized shoots beyond the Cowboy, SASS stuff.

The Club in Oneonta has a zero tolerance policy on this type of shooting and even goes as far as to NOT ALLOW any targets that even remotely represent a silhouette. They have even refused my requests to PAY them to teach classes on their range despite the fact that I was a member in good standing.

Beyond that the other ranges in the county are open to things but again nothing organized.

Maybe we should work on that. Maybe invite Marc H to come in and help us get something going... I beleive he runs a pretty good competition at his club.

Marc? Thoughts?
Glad I read that, I was thinking of becoming a member but I'm not going to patronize a shooting range that seems to be very against teaching people to defend or protect themselves should anything crazy happen.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Glad I read that, I was thinking of becoming a member but I'm not going to patronize a shooting range that seems to be very against teaching people to defend or protect themselves should anything crazy happen.
Hey the Crumhorn club is only $25/year and the meet the 3rd Monday eve of every month at 7 I think. Contact me if you wan app or more info.

For the Haters who wrote PM's telling me I was full of Sh!t regarding the Club in Oneonta... Feel free to approach again and I will be happy to scan the letter they sent me indicating exactly what I summarized in my post.

What do you think I just made that crap up and posted it in a public forum...

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Hey the Crumhorn club is only $25/year and the meet the 3rd Monday eve of every month at 7 I think. Contact me if you wan app or more info.

For the Haters who wrote PM's telling me I was full of Sh!t regarding the Club in Oneonta... Feel free to approach again and I will be happy to scan the letter they sent me indicating exactly what I summarized in my post.

Actually I am waiting for some good weather to accompany someone up there as a guest to see how I like the range and he is going to hook me up with the info if I like it enough to be a member, which I'm sure I will. Didn't know they actually had meetings, that is pretty cool, 1 more reason to join. Also just noticed you are Otsego County as well, good to see a local on here :) there aren't alot of us.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

I'm a member and I confirm that it's true.

But I don't care. They have nice facilities. I shoot Sporterifle there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts