New York Firearms Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
R.I.P. to our friend PY-3-21-2016
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Setting up a tactical 870 for home defence. I considered a Mossberg but I am a Remington 870 man from way back and just love that solid steel machined receiver. To be honest, I'm too cheap to spring for a Bennelli M4 and the idea that, after building several AR,s to hang all those "evil" features on a pump gun appeals to me. (Me facing Albany now and thumbing my nose at 'em)

Anywho, here's what been gathered so far or will be here next week:

Magpul MOE forearm.
New Remington 870P 12 ga. 3" magnum Police model with 18" barrel, bead sight, walnut stock.
Choate pistol grip M4 folding and telescoping stock.
Choate 2 shot magazine extension.

I also have an 18 1/2" vent rib barrel I could use. Blued finish now but I could get it parkerized at Gunblack in Interlaken to match the gun if needed.

I need to find a side saddle. (Plastic or alum.?)

Need to decide on keeping just a bead sight, tapping the receiver for ghosts, or getting a Mesa side saddle/picatinny rail for a red dot.

Now spring a hundred bucks to have a bayonet mount?

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
870 Police magnum is here. (Model 4901)
Choate folding/telescoping M4 stock is here.
2 shot tube extension is here.
Magpul MOE forend is here wirh rails for light. (Have a weapons light off the AR)
Still deciding on the gunsmithing work to tap the receiver for ghosts or not Or just keep the bead.
I could add a bayonet mount for a hundred bucks but why? Jeez I've ground off enough of them that I hate to pay that out to have one.

Now to find the time to put it together. Manwhile, the stock gun loaded with 00 buckshot will work just fine for greeting any middle of the night unwanted viaiters.

:D

·
Registered
383 Posts
I'm def interested in an 870 for HD myself. Curious, all those evil features are legal on a shotgun?

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm def interested in an 870 for HD myself. Curious, all those evil features are legal on a shotgun?
Yep, it's not semi-auto. Pumps are what ever you want as long as you don't make too short. (18" barrel, 26" overall) On a semi-auto shotgun you are allowed only one "evil" feature. (Over 5-shot. pistol grip, etc.) Generally on a semi-auto you can have an extended magazine with a standard stock or a pistol grip/fixed stock,( like a Mesa Urbino) with 5-shot capacity.

·
5,474 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Just an update. I decided that the new 870P looked so nice with the wood stock that i left it that way and only added the +2 mag ectension to it.

Now.....I took from the silicone gun sock it's been stored in, my old Wingmaster 12 Ga. 3" magnum from the 70's and really it was in worst shape than I had remembered. Sooooooo..........I stripped it down and added the choate flolding stock and attempted to change the forend to th Magpul. I'd just like to say how much nicer it is to work on new firearms compared to this 40 year old gun. Anything threaded seems to have enough corrosion on them to be a bear to take apart. I bent two forend nut wrenches and it still isn't apart! Been hitting it with penetrating oil every night to try to loosen it up. I tried to buy a new part but not available anywhere. Not even from Remington right now. Thought it would be worth the 40 bucks it would cost if i could find one.

Another issue is I've been trying to get a quote on parkerizing the gun from Gunblack in Interlaken, (Near Ithaca) but haven heard back from them yet.

To be continued........

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. The only drawback to 870's is weak shell ejection when pumped otherwise they're great. my first shotgun was a basic 870 and after a little research I realized what I wanted was a police magnum, so I researched the differences and ordered from Remington the entire guts of the police magnum, swapped them out and now I basically have a Frankenstein police 870(minus the magnum capability of course). the thing is crisp as a fresh out-of-the-box saltine cracker. I threw A CHOATE body armor stock on it, no pistol grip due to the location I was living at the time. That was my first time learning my way around the intestines of a gun. it was a great experience and got me started with this great hobby that we all share. just my two cents and a little positive note good luck with your build my friend.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Sounds like you've got it all figured out. The only drawback to 870's is weak shell ejection when pumped otherwise they're great. my first shotgun was a basic 870 and after a little research I realized what I wanted was a police magnum, so I researched the differences and ordered from Remington the entire guts of the police magnum, swapped them out and now I basically have a Frankenstein police 870(minus the magnum capability of course). the thing is crisp as a fresh out-of-the-box saltine cracker. I threw A CHOATE body armor stock on it, no pistol grip due to the location I was living at the time. That was my first time learning my way around the intestines of a gun. it was a great experience and got me started with this great hobby that we all share. just my two cents and a little positive note good luck with your build my friend.
You ordered the entire guts of the Police and swapped them out of the Express? They are virtually the same gun! The "top of the line" 870 Police is nothing more than an Express with a better finish and $30 of easily replaced parts. It is one of the greatest marketing jobs Remington has ever done. I have built and owned several of each, and here is the real deal between the Police and the Express:

Generally, out-of-the box, the Police will have a smoother action, as they are finished better. This can easily be remedied with 0000 steel wool and shooting, over time: this is no big deal to me, although others may differ on its importance to them. But, you started with an Express, so no difference here.

The following are the ONLY internal parts that are different between the Express and Police:

1. The trigger housing on the Police is pressed metal, that on the Express is polymer - advantage Express, as the polymer trigger housing is known to be more durable (ask any Remington armorer). I have bent a few Police guards, but have never damaged an Express guard. Note: I have recently learned that some of the newer P guns are now also using the polymer trigger guards.

2. The extractor on the Police is forged, the Express is MIM. Upgrade the extractor: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...duct/EXTRACTOR Cost $14.99 (I always replace the extractor, but have never seen a MIM extractor break on an Express).

3. The Police has a stronger carrier dog follower spring than the Express. This is also an easily upgrade: http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=1...R-LATCH-SPRING It is listed as a carrier latch spring for the 1100 and 11-87, but this is the correct spring used in the Police. Cost $4.84 The interesting thing is that Remington charges the same for either spring (the P is black, and that is the only way to tell them apart). So why doesn't Remington use the same spring in both guns? Marketing.

4. The Police uses a stronger magazine spring on the 6+1 versions (I believe that both 4+1 versions now use the same spring). Purchase a new spring from Wolff: http://www.gunsprings.com/Rifles%20%...108/dID216#606 Cost $8.99

5. Sear spring - As of several years ago both versions now use the identical spring (the one from the Express).

Those three, easily replaced parts cost about $30 and are the only differences that matter between the Express and the Police; the rest is simply marketing. Most of the custom 870 builders, such as Wilson Combat, Nighthawk, and AI&P Tactical use the 870 Express platform because it is basically the same gun at a lower cost.

You also said that after your massive upgrade you now "have a Frankenstein police 870(minus the magnum capability of course)". FYI, the 870 Express and the Police are both "Magnums", with identical receivers capable of chambering both 2 3/4" and 3" shells. Remington does produce a few Express "Super Magnum" models chambered for up to 3 1/2" loads (but there is no Super Magnum Police version).

·
Registered
599 Posts
Mossberg 590A1. Has mag extension already and has a bayonet lug. Its also has a metal trigger guard, and safety. I have a 870 and a mossberg 500. If i had a dollar for every time my 870 wouldn't eject i could buy another mossberg 500.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts