New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 131 Posts

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Obviously this it touchy but 2 things I have to note.

First, they had a kid in front of a computer with his hands up all shouting obscenities at him and take him down like he's a criminal.

Second, the moment he's taken down they take his phone and start going through it. Because his phone is any of their business.

I respect the work of the police and they they're in danger but these guys just seem like they were way too happy to be doing this.

Dangerous prank brings SWAT team down on gamer

I hope this kid makes 7 figures from this.

·
Postmaster General
23,073 Posts
I'm not torn at all. The amount if times over these "operators" should be spending life in prison is staggering. And to prove it, the typical "look for a camera and make sure it isn't recording your illegal acts" is in full effect. Just a shame they weren't dealt with like other burglars. Oh well, any person with that skin for their Glock in CS can't be too brilliant.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not torn at all. The amount if times over these "operators" should be spending life in prison is staggering. And to prove it, the typical "look for a camera and make sure it isn't recording your illegal acts" is in full effect. Just a shame they weren't dealt with like other burglars. Oh well, any person with that skin for their Glock in CS can't be too brilliant.
Yeah the one guy was locked on the camera pretty well. Almost makes me think if this was a real threat, he would be vulnerable because he was fixated on it.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
I'm missing something, how did the police get the information? Was it the guy in the video or was it another party doing a stupid (dangerous) prank?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm missing something, how did the police get the information? Was it the guy in the video or was it another party doing a stupid (dangerous) prank?
Most likely someone called in who was watching this guy's feed or a competitor. To call the prank childish is giving it too much credit.

Someone could have easily been killed especially with the storm troopers busting down the door.

Very slight chance he did this to himself for extra viewers but that's unlikely.

·
Registered
9,902 Posts
This is like yelling "fire" in a movie house. It falls into the play stupid games-win stupid prizes categories. Incredibly dangerous.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is like yelling "fire" in a movie house. It falls into the play stupid games-win stupid prizes categories. Incredibly dangerous.
Agreed! I hate that peoplease even try this but almost as bad, is the reaction of the police on an innocent person.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
I lost a great deal of respect for SWAT teams just from the fact the one guy felt the need to turn the camera away.

If that isn't an act of guilt I don't know what is. Not guilt in the sense of I just did wrong, but guilt in the sense of I may do wrong and don't want to be caught.

The kid had his hands up, was in an office, on a computer, I can see taking him down, but stepping on his back/neck is a bit much.

Just another effect of the militarization of police forces.

I hope they prosecute the bastard that called this in.

·
Registered
9,136 Posts
So, after reading the article, I admit, i am a bit confused.

Did the kid that got arrested call the police on a different player with false information?

·
Registered
1,779 Posts

Did the kid that got arrested call the police on a different player with false information?
Not likely.

It's a new trend, called "getting SWATed"

You call 911 and report a hostage situation on one of your gaming buddies/enemies.

SWAT rushes in and you watch it go down on the video feed.

·
Registered
4,835 Posts

Not likely.

It's a new trend, called "getting SWATed"

You call 911 and report a hostage situation on one of your gaming buddies/enemies.

SWAT rushes in and you watch it go down on the video feed.
^^^ This.

From what I've read of this in the past, gamers that have been defeated or embarrassed will call in a threat of some sort against they're opponent that they know will draw a real life SWAT visit. I haven't heard of anyone getting killed yet, but it's only a matter of time.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Generally the person being raided has no idea that it is coming. Usually it's an opposing player that calls in a false report just to try and mess up someone else. It's stupid and dangerous.

·
Registered
3,735 Posts
From an article I read they are looking for the person that called in the swat team . It seems that this a regular thing with some of these gamers . From what the article said ( I don't know if it's true , just what the reporter said ) that the person who called in the fake emergency could be charged with attempted murder . I don't see how but that what was said in the article . I do know that calling a fake emergency can bring a healthy bill from the PD as all of costs of the PD sending the swat team , fuel , and pretty much anything they want to add to the bill will be huge . Plus if this gamer who got " swatted " sues ( high possibility ) the caller could be charged with that bill also . This isn't the smartest thing to be doing !

·
Registered
14,522 Posts
society is degrading quickly... if i had a time machine id be afraid to see the future, and id love to go to the past.

·
Registered
8,339 Posts
There are quite a few simple people who become swat officers it would seem. This is another disgusting example of the swat mindset in America these days.
This is a quote from a pentagon offical I agree with:

“These guys are idiots – riding around on the top of armored trucks looking like ******** on a country drive, pointing their weapons at unarmed Americans,” said one Pentagon official who spoke on condition of anonymity because he was not authorized to give his opinion on the matter."

“Don’t tell me that’s militarization – our troops would never do that stuff, even in a war zone,” he says. “And why are they riding around in woodlands camo in a city? That kills me.”

·
Registered
297 Posts
Attempted murder maybe from the expectation that the SWAT team is going to euthanize someone once they raid the home or in this case office. They rush in and the victim is holding a "black" object(controller) in their hands. Responding officer at quick glance "sees" a gun and shoots the poor guy/gal/kid. I should add especially since in these cases they are responding to what they believe is a legit shots fired hostage situation they are going to be prepared to encounter and individual holding a gun increasing the likelihood that someone is going to get shot.

·
Registered
3,402 Posts
This particular case must be an isolated incident, mistakes never happen when the Stormtroops are called.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
Did that police department even bother to investigate the complaint? Probably not.

These SWAT teams are a bunch of trigger happy simpletons who just want to play real life war games and are just itching to pull the trigger. They have no remorse if they shoot and kill innocent people. One day they will bust into the wrong house of someone who legally carries for protection and after there are a few dead police only then will these police department start to rethink how they utilize swat teams.

·
Registered
4,234 Posts
The fact that they couldn't ascertain the immense lack of threat after clearing the room makes me question the entire process as extreme overkill. The fact that the threat called in could not be declared as matching the environment after the first several minutes makes me question the training as inefficient and dangerous. It also registers a general disconnect with me.

This would be like my neighbor calling me up and telling me my kids are beating the **** out of some random person in the backyard and I walk back there and they are playing in the sandbox, and I get in their faces, cuff them, take all their toys, pat them down, give them the third degree and start searching their phones etc.

1. the SWATTER should be caught and charged with a felony for endangering people's lives
2. the officers in this video should be removed from the SWAT team immediately.
3. I've had enough of the over-bearing bull****.

If this happened to me, I would be starting a lawsuit against the entity in which the SWAT team belongs to and the local government. I would sue the **** out of them starting the moment the cuffs were released. I would sue them for not having a warrant to search my phone. I would sue them for unlawful arrest and anything else that I could think of no matter the likelihood of winning or not.

1 - 20 of 131 Posts