New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There are two rifles that resemble each other but are entirely different; the SVD Dragunov and the PSL 54.

The SVD (Snayperskaya Vintovka Dragunova) is a Russian sniper rifle that has been in production since the early 1960's.

The PSL (Pusca Semiautoata cu Luneta) is a Romanian sniper rifle first produced in the 1970's. The action of the PSL is based on that of the RPK light machinegun.

Both rifles fire the same 7.62x54R ammunition and aside from a passing resemblance this is the only commonality. The PSL has much more in common with the AK-47 than with the SVD.

In this picture you can see an AK-47 (a real one) and a PSL disassembled. Notice the solid operating rod attached to the bolts of each weapon.

In this picture you can see a SVD disassembled. Take note of the discrete differences between the SVD and the previously pictured PSL.

One of the keys to the SVD's ability to shoot more accurately than the AK-47 based design is the very thin and detached operating rod which flexes during operation reducing the bending moment on the barrel.

The SVD holds the title as the "sexiest" looking sniper rifle in the world. Sadly it's pretty poor in both the accuracy and ergonomics categories.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
[/QThe SVD holds the title as the "sexiest" looking sniper rifle in the world. Sadly it's pretty poor in both the accuracy and ergonomics categoriesUOTE]

I tend to agree:D

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I am going to take a guess everyone agrees with me but I'd like to thank you for taking the time to post things like this. I enjoy reading your posts and appreciate the time you take to share the knowledge you have on many different topics.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Very nice writeup Kevin on 2 very different platforms. However, I would have to somewhat disagree on the accuracy in regards to it being poor. I was able to achieve around 2 MOA(my best shot group - average groups around 3+) with my Dragunov tiger out to 250-300 yards with a Russian receiver bipod shooting the sniper grade 7n1 loads. Accuracy is not terrible, but leaves much to be desired. However, with a 10rd autoloader, its a VERY nice touch for split second follow up shots. What it lacks in accuracy, makes up for speed bar none.

·
Registered
5,414 Posts
So with that being said, is an SVD more accurate then the PSL? Does the AK47 design factor hinder its accuracy in comparison to the SVD?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So with that being said, is an SVD more accurate then the PSL?
Yes, the SVD demonstrates superior intrinsic accuracy due to its design. The thin detached operating rod and the gas tappet piston reduces the amount of bending moment placed on the barrel during the firing cycle.

Does the AK47 design factor hinder its accuracy in comparison to the SVD?
Yes, the solid operating rod/ gas piston of the AK47 design, found in the PSL, places a large bending moment on the barrel during the firing cycle. Additionally, the bolt/op-rod/piston assembly moving at high velocity during the firing cycle negatively affects the rifle's accuracy.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Nice thread.

The SVD is flooded with bad design features and on top it is impossible to find an original one. Many of the ones being sold today are built from scrap parts found in junkyards all over Romania that some gunsmith wannabe companies here buy as scrap and put together in a garage somewhere w/o too much knowledge of what can make an AK accurate. The quality of the barrels are sub-par along with the materials used in the receivers and other parts. So if you have a SVD that can shoot hold on to it because all the good surplus is long gone and most of the stuff is junk now.

The tigr that is the PSL version from Izmash dedicated to hunting has been used for a long time with great success. Sorry no available here. You can find more about this in the Izmash website that have translated to English ---> ""

and also in this website...
Dragunov dot net - Izhmash Dragunov Tiger Hunting Rifle

Curiously it has been recognized in many forums and even by Russian enthusiast here and abroad that some of these models shoot better with our ammo like the 7.62x51 NATO round. Consistency of good brass and loads is the reason so no surprise. Same with the 5.56 AKs.

The more traditional AKM based platform can be in fact very accurate but with a complete different design approach regarding the section and quality of parts. One good example of this is the VEPR series of rifles that come from he molot plant. Also the saiga 16" carbine with the beefed up trunions, barrel and receiver with 1.5mm section are great choices minimizing the impact in barrel flex. In result, very simple, reliable and very very accurate nice carbines and rifles..

VEPR...

SAiga 308Winchester...

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
as a layman ive wanted a semi auto commie sniper for a while

ive been leaning towards psl due to being able to find them in good shape easily

any considerations i should look for

again im not a smith so i dont know much

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Last original SVD I bid on went for $4.8K in a NYC auction. Even had the original case and papers.

A VEPR or saiga carbine you can pick up from the shelves for $900 (for the super) and $550 for the saiga. If you want a long barrel I would go for the VEPR for the carbine the saiga is bad ass but depends on what you want to do with it of course.
These are all original receivers, trunions, barrels and the whole nine yards. The VEPR you can get any popular casing and the Saiga too but not
7.62x54 russian. In terms of accuracy if one can manage the initial concussion I would go siaga 308w. carbine converted (with brake!) .. or VEPR 308w 20". They outshoot my M1A all day.

Bottom line the carbine is great for an all around beat the bush, hunting , get dirty type of carbine very handy and short. can take down anything walking in this continent. The other one is a better idea if longer shots are on the menu. Still not too heavy and you do not have to touch anything.

Ohh if they only let a few tigrs from Izmash come into the US... but lets keep dreaming for now.

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
there is an izzy tiger on gunbroker for like 6000 right now... a lil to high for my uses

i just wanna long barrel that allows me to reach out to 300 yrds

ive been more and more into persicion shooting as of late since my landlord at lease cleared 38 acres of trees for a firing range

i want something in 7.62x54r specificly as i have 880 7ni sniper rounds i got in trade for a ak i had picked up a few months back

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Zero, you picked a very bad time to look for a Tiger. The days of $2000 Tigers are long gone. The cheapest I saw recently was a bare bones Tiger that sold for a "buy now" at $3300. With the bankruptcy of Izmash, if you can find one for $3000-$3500 jump on it immediately if you ever want one. Prices are rediculous on these now. As someone said before, they are like hens teeth. Also, if you dont find a Tiger or NDM in 7.62x54 I would seriously buy that crate of 7n1 from you or trade for it as it is useless in other firearms like mosins or SVT-40s, etc.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
And the SVD is not impossible to find... hand Kevin a check for $15,000 and see what happens... or an original KBI SVD just sold a few weeks ago on gunbroker for $12,500. Happy hunting.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Weapons Categories:

Cat- 1: Working Gun, offence/defense/hunting
Cat- 2: Playing Gun, skeet/trap/high power/IPSC/service rifle/etc.
Cat- 3: Collecting Gun, intrinsic historic or technical value

The SVD is a Cat-3 gun which, in the lack of an alternative, could be pressed into service as a Cat-1 gun.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
They have been having lots of troubles for years and folks are saying this might not affect the supply chain but who knows .
If the light firearms division stop the machines due to the problems then we might see this come to a full stop.
They really screwed this up big time. They never really had a business plan typical of huge conglomerates coming from the cold war era.

·
Registered
11,238 Posts
Sniper and PSL are two words should not be used in the same page. Just like steel match and all those dreams of eastern accuracy.
Even the SVD cannot be considered a true sniper rifle. It is more suitable for a DMR to provide support to the infantry units.
That was the original intention for the platform and yes it was used by sniper units in several conflicts but it is very limited by design when
compared to the most accurate sniper systems.

IMHO your best ROI and easiest bet is to get a 20" VEPR in 308Winchester . If you want to go longer you will get more speed but then you will see the effects of the long stroke piston amplified. The 16" saiga is short but it is very handy, portable and accurate. Reliability = 100% in any condition.

If you are very serious about 800+ yards consistency those are major words so then look in a different direction, a good bolt system then is a must. Some AR's do amazingly well but that might be bad Voodoo for some AK hardcore enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Kevin, I see your SVD is not a KBI import(1 of 100) but infact even more extremely rare due to the lightning cut on the receiver. Do you have the IR detector on your PSO-1? Also I would be very interested to know your date of manufacture as these are almost never seen here in the states. For your information/price idea on your SVD, a similar non-matching has come up on gunbroker...you have the value of a brand new car on your hands and you truely have one of the few holy grails:

Russian SVD 1975 military issue Dragunov sniper : Semi Auto Rifles at GunBroker.com

1 - 17 of 17 Posts