New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all -

Has anyone in the WNY area come across a surplus store that carries M1 Carbine .30 magazines?

I am not familiar with this rifle, and I know I can find some online, but my uncle says the surplus mags work much better.

Any help or direction is appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If you mean USGI surplus they were made in 15rd and 30rd. There is no such thing as surplus 10rd magazines. Beware of eBay ads that sell USGI 10rd mags because they are really 15rd. They do this because you can't sell mags greater than 10rd on there so this is how sellers skirt the rules. Here's an example M1 Carbine Magazine New Old Stock 10 RD | eBay this is a 15rd magazine. Go with an after market one made by Auto Ordnance or Fulton Armory.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you mean USGI surplus they were made in 15rd and 30rd. There is no such thing as surplus 10rd magazines. Beware of eBay ads that sell USGI 10rd mags because they are really 15rd. They do this because you can't sell mags greater than 10rd on there so this is how sellers skirt the rules. Here's an example M1 Carbine Magazine New Old Stock 10 RD | eBay this is a 15rd magazine. Go with an after market one made by Auto Ordnance or Fulton Armory.
Thanks for the help!

Is it kosher to purchase the 15 rd mags called 10 rd on eBay?

and - if USGI surplus only produced 15 and 30 rds, does that mean we're out of luck in NYS?

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you have a C&R rifle that is an assault weapon you can transfer it in NYS as long as its registered, you can still purchase the same as long as you register it. If you have Magazines for a C&R rifle that can only be used in a C&R gun you can register the magazines and and buy\sell\trade\posses them as long as they are registered, if you sell\trade them then you have to file another form letting the state know what the disposition is. If you have a non C&R M1 Carbine (Universal, etc) you cant use C&R hicaps in it and are limited to 10 rounders.

·
Registered
9,682 Posts
If you have a C&R rifle that is an assault weapon you can transfer it in NYS as long as its registered, you can still purchase the same as long as you register it. If you have Magazines for a C&R rifle that can only be used in a C&R gun you can register the magazines and and buy\sell\trade\posses them as long as they are registered, if you sell\trade them then you have to file another form letting the state know what the disposition is. If you have a non C&R M1 Carbine (Universal, etc) you cant use C&R hicaps in it and are limited to 10 rounders.
I thought it only applied to magazines you had prior to the Safe Act. I don't think you can buy C&R ones now and register them.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Yes, you can. They are fully transferable as well. Call the troopers and ask. Its one of the reasons that a C&R carbine is worth its weight in gold. Also, you can only load those 15 and 30 round mags to 10 rounds

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
You're probably right, but in reading this, the only thing I could think of was "what a crock of s#@#t this law has turned the simple transfer of a rifle into. And please, registering mags? I've gotta get out of here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts