New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

· Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Conservative Justice Antonin Scalia, decrying America’s demonization of guns, is predicting that the parade of new gun control laws, cheered on by President Obama, will hit the Supreme Court soon, possibly settling for ever the types of weapons that can be owned.

Scalia, whose legacy decision in the 2008 case of District of Columbia vs. Heller ended gun control in Washington, D.C., suggested that the Constitution allows limits on what Americans can own, but the only example he offered was a shoulder-launched rocket that would bring down jets.

And the wily judge suggested to an audience of Smithsonian Associates at George Washington University’s Lisner Auditorium Tuesday night that he is not just preparing for a new gun control challenge, but that he’s softening up one of his liberal colleague on guns.

The long-time duck hunter revealed that he’s taken Obama appointee Elena Kagan hunting several times, the last being for big game in Wyoming where she shot a whitetail doe. “She dropped that doe with one shot,” he said during an event that featured questions from NPR’s court reporter Nina Totenberg.

bosco

· Registered
8,594 Posts
I wouldn't bank on Kagan.
Kagan is more liberal than Scalia no doubt but this is not really a conservative/liberal legal issue. It is a fundamental rights issue which is usally decided more on the Justices beliefs in constitutional constructionism. Scalia never misspeaks. What he is saying in this quote is that the SAFE Act and any law like it would never stand up. We only need 5 and we win the whole damn thing!

· Registered
1,380 Posts
We could only be so lucky! Imagine all these BS restrictions being lifted - would certainly restore my faith in America and the US Constitution!

· Registered
459 Posts
Our Founding Fathers warned us about an overreaching tyrannical government. With great forethought they made sure the Bill of Rights included the 2nd Amendment as the only way to protect all the other amendments. No one can read that document and writings of the Founding Fathers and not know the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment. It is not about sporting purposes or hunting. It is for the defense of the citizens against harm and a government that no longer serves the people but wishes to strip them of their rights.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
Our Founding Fathers warned us about an overreaching tyrannical government. With great forethought they made sure the Bill of Rights included the 2nd Amendment as the only way to protect all the other amendments. No one can read that document and writings of the Founding Fathers and not know the true meaning of the 2nd Amendment. It is not about sporting purposes or hunting. It is for the defense of the citizens against harm and a government that no longer serves the people but wishes to strip them of their rights.
Helluva tenth post! Welcome aboard :)

· Registered
459 Posts
We need a judge with a set of Nads to step up and say ENOUGH!
They will keep dreaming up more and more bull**** until someone calls it what it really is, a gun grab and a striping of our rights.
Look at what's happening across the country with more and more states, cities and towns trying to jump on the Gun Control band wagon, as soon as a judge steps in these cowards will back down.
Keep fighting guys and girls, don't give an inch, they will not stop until all guns are illegal, it's not about 30 round magazines or so-called assault weapons, it's about total control.

· Registered
3,821 Posts
Not only is it not about hunting, it is certainly not about government having a stranglehold on who, what, why, and where civilians are allowed to have arms.

· Registered
735 Posts
scalia is NOT our friend. Where does the 2nd Amendment say you cannot own a machine gun, rocket launcher, tank, or cannon? However, that is exactly what scalia believes the Constitution says. He is a liberal scum who interprets the Constitution the way he thinks it should be and not the way the words say.

He will encourage the Court to accept cases addressing the 2nd Amendment and then other liberal members including johnnie roberts will stab him and rule to uphold universal background checks, magazine bans and assault weapons bans.

I live in NY. The NY background checks, magazine bans, AW bans and ammo background check will take years to reach the Supremes and these will be upheld by Kagan, Roberts, Scalia, Sotamayor and all the other liberals on the Court.

· Registered
8,594 Posts
scalia is NOT our friend. Where does the 2nd Amendment say you cannot own a machine gun, rocket launcher, tank, or cannon? However, that is exactly what scalia believes the Constitution says. He is a liberal scum who interprets the Constitution the way he thinks it should be and not the way the words say.

He will encourage the Court to accept cases addressing the 2nd Amendment and then other liberal members including johnnie roberts will stab him and rule to uphold universal background checks, magazine bans and assault weapons bans.

I live in NY. The NY background checks, magazine bans, AW bans and ammo background check will take years to reach the Supremes and these will be upheld by Kagan, Roberts, Scalia, Sotamayor and all the other liberals on the Court.
I see it differently. Scalia is an egomaniac, but he is smart. There is no way they can allow the banning of the AR-15 if they truly believe what they wrote in Heller. It would be like overturning Heller. And in the time since Heller, the AR-15 has ballooned in popularity. Even if it would have qualified for a ban then under Heller, it doesn't know, they are simply now in common use and in theory can't be banned.

· Registered
2,751 Posts
scalia is NOT our friend. Where does the 2nd Amendment say you cannot own a machine gun, rocket launcher, tank, or cannon? However, that is exactly what scalia believes the Constitution says.

The NY background checks, magazine bans, AW bans and ammo background check will take years to reach the Supremes and these will be upheld by Kagan, Roberts, Scalia, Sotamayor and all the other liberals on the Court.
there is a lot of truth there

Let's not forget State's Rights -- there is a great possibility that Background Checks, and Ammo restrictions may be with us for ever

· Registered
366 Posts
I know its a long shot...but I would love to see a vote happen where Kagen votes against gun control with the other 5, just to see Obamas reaction.

i also wonder what sotomayer has up her sleeve with her " you will find out how I feel..soon", good god that would be epic, if she turned against the mocha messiah.

· Registered
1,127 Posts
I know its a long shot...but I would love to see a vote happen where Kagen votes against gun control with the other 5, just to see Obamas reaction.

i also wonder what sotomayer has up her sleeve with her " you will find out how I feel..soon", good god that would be epic, if she turned against the mocha messiah.
I don't know, that sounds kind of ominous to me... I hope you are right though.

· Registered
1,334 Posts
Kagan's hunting escapades are a far cry from swinging opinion on restrictions on 2A. After all hunting vs. defense from tyranny are at opposite ends of the spectrum.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.