New York Firearms Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Justices’ Questions Suggest New York Gun Control Law Is Unlikely to Survive
With that being said and a good possibility of striking down NY gun laws, how broad of a stroke will this be for our state? Will this change or abolish the permit process altogether, possibly? Will the SAFE act be overturned?

·
Registered
18 Posts
I am awaiting my premise. I hope it means they will do away with target/premise/limited carry and just grant cow's, personal choice to carry it or just make it a defacto premise. I am not a LEO, so carrying to me is not part of my paid profession. I am convinced that the city will pull some mumbo-jumbo that lets them wiggle out of the ruling. I also think the 3 month between purchases is ridiculous, and worse the repeated trips to1PP (a days pay + parking, tolls etc.) Why can't your local Pct's desk SGT. do the check? I want a backup revolver in case there is a 9mm shortage, or it goes out for smith work or repair. My luck that would be the time I needed it. I figure better safe than sorry. But a repeated trip to downtown is a big factor in the decision. I also think they should have one weeknight and Sunday open to the public (BX residents to start) for modest fees. The range needs work done, so let us contribute while getting something out of the deal. It would be great for the honest gun owners have a club, where we can shoot the shit (pardon the pun) get to know some of the policeman, and maybe some safety instructions and basic marksmanship training. I am sure the ringmasters would gladly share their knowledge and experience to make us all safer. I sent (e-mailed) all these suggestions to my NYC Councilman, Gjonaj 2 weeks ago, but not response thus far. I am not expecting anything, but at least I tried.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Where are you currently shooting in the BX?
I am not, I am still waiting for my permit to come through. Bought my first firearm from R&T in Mt.Vernon, they are holding it for me till I get called. They have a range that is the most convenient and is less expensive than Yonkers. If there is somewhere I am not aware please let me know. Also the SCOTUS reports indicate a 5-4 or 6-3 for making all of NY a shall issue for concealed carry permits. If this truly happens am I off base thinking they would be able to do away with the other types of permits (target/premise/business only carry) since a full concealed carry would cover the home and range anyway. I applied for rifle and premise, but wondering if the state loses will the city make the change I am thinking makes sense.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Theres a private club in Parkchester for pistols only if you're interested. Fun small place and very cheap.
I would be interested in that. By chance would you be referring to Olinville Arms? If not any info would be appreciated. Also could you give me a ballpark of cost. RT Smoke has a $150 membership and $20 per hour , per lane, or a $500 membership, unlimited shooting no extra cost.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
This case worries me so much. I know everyone is optimistic this is going to become the next Heller, but I'm worried it will have very ugly ramifications, particularly for us in NY.

For example, I do believe we have a right to possess pistols outside our home. However, I am not certain that right necessarily covers concealing our weapons. This case is specifically about concealed carry. SCOTUS could turn around and say that the states do indeed have the right to regulate concealed carry, even completely outlawing it - leaving the actual question (do we have a right to bear arms outside the home?) still unanswered.

That's almost a best-case scenario. They might also rule that NY did indeed go too far with their laws, but not provide any clarity as to where the crossed line is. So NY would move the law back one centimeter from where it is today, and we could wait another decade or two for it to wind its way through courts.

But, particularly for us New Yorkers, note that even a complete win will likely be a loss for us. The reality is that in most of NY, it's not particularly difficult to get a full carry permit. This is a case where, if we win, it might get slightly easier to get a CCW in a small part of the state, but for the rest of the state, things might get a lot harder. Think about it: if SCOTUS comes back and says NY has to write new laws, then that means NY will write new gun control laws. Let me repeat that: NY WILL WRITE NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS. Is there anyone who believes said new laws won't contain a raft of new gun control measures? Or make the upstate permitting process more onerous than it already is?

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried we're not going to like the end result of this case no matter how it is decided.

Reactions: nickvulpine

·
Registered
18 Posts
All good points. As a NYC resident I don't want a ccl. Too much downside and liability. My 4 walls are another issue. I a hoping it will at least due away for the interview for premise; one less trip downtown. Most of my disgust is with the laws the city council wrote. They are so illogical, and they impose a real expensive pain, on top of a very expensive permit (highest is USA). Every trip to 1PP is a days pay, 13.50 in tolls, 40-60 for parking. so interview and prints is one trip, serial# inspection is trip 2, and after a ridiculous 3 month wait, another trip to register gun #2. Why not let people buy 3 at one time, then have a wait period. At least it would cut down on the trips. Or better yet as I suggested to Councilman Gjonaj via e-mail (still no response)have the desk Sgt at every precinct do the visual inspection and relay it to 1PP. In todays day and age you could take a pic on your phone, the desk Sgt could verify it to downtown, and just email it on the spot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Any Idea how long it will take them to arrive at a decision?

Also is anything stopping NYPD from taking even longer to now approve the permits? What's stopping them from now taking more then a year to approve it?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Justices’ Questions Suggest New York Gun Control Law Is Unlikely to Survive
With that being said and a good possibility of striking down NY gun laws, how broad of a stroke will this be for our state? Will this change or abolish the permit process altogether, possibly? Will the SAFE act be overturned?
I would just be happy to have a rifle without a pinned mag and keep all the evil evil stuff like pistol grip and threaded barrel.

·
Registered
28 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’m thinking even if scotus rules in favor of the plaintiffs , the legislature will just find new unconstitutional ways to screw us commoners. I also firmly believe nyc will find a way to circumvent any pro 2A ruling that scotus hands down. Expect a ruling sometime in June. Best case scenario is that the “may issue” states become “shall issue” and our target/premise turns into full carry.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
This case worries me so much. I know everyone is optimistic this is going to become the next Heller, but I'm worried it will have very ugly ramifications, particularly for us in NY.

For example, I do believe we have a right to possess pistols outside our home. However, I am not certain that right necessarily covers concealing our weapons. This case is specifically about concealed carry. SCOTUS could turn around and say that the states do indeed have the right to regulate concealed carry, even completely outlawing it - leaving the actual question (do we have a right to bear arms outside the home?) still unanswered.

That's almost a best-case scenario. They might also rule that NY did indeed go too far with their laws, but not provide any clarity as to where the crossed line is. So NY would move the law back one centimeter from where it is today, and we could wait another decade or two for it to wind its way through courts.

But, particularly for us New Yorkers, note that even a complete win will likely be a loss for us. The reality is that in most of NY, it's not particularly difficult to get a full carry permit. This is a case where, if we win, it might get slightly easier to get a CCW in a small part of the state, but for the rest of the state, things might get a lot harder. Think about it: if SCOTUS comes back and says NY has to write new laws, then that means NY will write new gun control laws. Let me repeat that: NY WILL WRITE NEW GUN CONTROL LAWS. Is there anyone who believes said new laws won't contain a raft of new gun control measures? Or make the upstate permitting process more onerous than it already is?

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm worried we're not going to like the end result of this case no matter how it is decided.
I posted this, with your reply idea, weighing on me. I agree that "concealed" is a whole

I posted this, wondering about the same questions you raised. I have lived in multi-states and have seen the more relaxed laws. Arizona is open carry...Just pick a pistol, go through the same process as a long gun and that's it. I am fine with that but concealed to me does need a little more regulation. Other than that, I think the laws in NY are silly. There are workarounds for ARs having a pistol grip as an example. Altogether, I agree that everyone will not be happy, whichever way it falls. My opinion is there are many things that could be fixed besides guns so politicians should move on. Criminals do not care and are well-armed, If the FBI does its job, then we have enough of a government thumb on us.

·
Registered
2,772 Posts
Why does concealed need more regulation?
To be clear, I am not advocating for any regulation. I am just stating what appears to be the mindset of several conservative justices: that states have more latitude in regulating concealed carry.

Reactions: ResidentJew

·
Registered
30 Posts

I for one do not trust the SCOTUS in light of their previous decisions. Even if they rule in our favor, who will enforce their ruling? Certainly not Biden's Justice department. In addition, I can see New York placing expiration dates on permits and charge enormous amounts to renew or amend permits thereby keeping permits from all but the wealthy and connected.

·
Registered
86 Posts
To be clear, I am not advocating for any regulation. I am just stating what appears to be the mindset of several conservative justices: that states have more latitude in regulating concealed carry.
Oh I know you aren't. I should have quoted the post I was referring to, which was nickvulpine stating "I am fine with that but concealed to me does need a little more regulation."

1 - 20 of 20 Posts